Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marie-Claire
Devoted August 2018 Quebec

People joining for the first dance

Marie-Claire, on June 28, 2018 at 12:20 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

Here's a bit of context first. My fiancé doesn't like dancing nor being the center of the attention. We even considered not having any dance at all, but eventually decided against it partly because we didn't know what to do instead. When we did decide to have dancing, I automatically assumed that we were having a first dance (no other 'special dances' though). However, when I suggested a song for it, I found that he'd much rather not have a first dance (or actually, that he didn't want to dance at all during the night).

He eventually agreed to a short first dance, and we found the perfect song, which is just over 2 minutes long. Then I asked if we'd invite guests to join us during the song or after, and discovered that he never meant for us to be dancing alone. At all. Argh.

I tried to find a compromise, like dancing alone for only 30 seconds, or even 10 seconds, or inviting a few special couples to join us (like our parents). But none of this seems to work, and really I don't think our parents would agree on this, especially his parents who don't dance anymore than he does.

Do you have other ideas? I would really like to have a special time just for the two of us though.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Marie-Claire, on June 29, 2018 at 10:14
  • Marie-Claire
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel like that would actually be worse, since with a slow song you can just hold each other and move slowly. I've got him to dance more rhythmic songs with me in the past, but he was so nervous that he went all stiff, which certainly didn't help him.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely get your bridal party to join in! Everyone's eyes will be on you guys still, but he doesn't need to know that part hahah. That way you're still getting your first dance, and he won't feel so uncomfortable (hopefully) Smiley smile
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like Maegans idea, it sounds like a fair compromise to have a fun song that you dance to just for a short time and have the slow and intimate dance later once the pressure is off and the party is in full swing
  • Marie-Claire
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our song is just over 2 minutes long, so it would be hard to do this.

I actually thought of inviting my grandparents to join us, as they'll be celebrating their 69th anniversary next week, but I really fear that it would be too much strain for my grandfather.

• Marie-Claire
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like the idea of inviting people from the start, but not wait for them, I think it might work.

I'm sure he knows it's not real dancing, but he stills hates being in the spotlight.

• Marie-Claire
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As I've said previously, I really can't see our parents wanting to dance with us, especially his as they are very shy and are not dancers at all. Having our wedding party with us isn't an option either. Only one of the four is in a relationship, and two of the other ones are even worse than my fiancé about this kind of things.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why not have the first dance after dinner and have the parents or wedding party with their other half dance along the side so you can be seen. The dancing can start for the evening with all your guests.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Try to work it out with him. It has to be some sort of compromise. I think dancing for 10-30 secs is ideal and then have other ppl. Join. It's less awkward and you still have some sort of dance.

Me and fiancee don't dance and we won't be having a dance floor cuz it's a small wedding party

Find a good compromise
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are kinda the same! We actually picked an upbeat first dance song (hooked on a feeling by blue suede) BUT we are only going to dance for about 30 seconds before our entire wedding party will join us on the dance floor with their sognificant others.

I have put some romantic slow dance songs into the playlist later in the night and i told FH that i expect him to dance with me to at least one of them Smiley winking but because it wont be the first dance the attention wont all be on us and we can still have that special dance together.
  • Susy
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Susy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any idea will be great Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Brittany; it's just a simple sway back and forth - you don't even have to lift your feet off the ground! Buuuuut, if that is too much I would say to ask your parents to join you from the start and maybe part way through you could have your dj/mc ask people who have been married for ___ amount of time join, and then ____ amount of time, etc. and then near the end switch it to a loud wacky song inviting all the singles out to the dance floor and that gives him a good reason to GET OUT of the dancing area!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Perhaps get your bridal party and their significant others to join in? You can also remind your fiance, it is not a "dance" dance... we are talking 8th grade dance, stand there, hold each other, and gently sway to the music... haha.

But I appreciate being uncomfortable in front of the crowd... so maybe have them introduce you, you go to the dance floor, the music starts, you dance for a few seconds (the time it takes for your fellow dancers to get up and get to the dance floor), then they just start dancing too!

• S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do something untraditional and dance outside just the two of you. Nobody around and just enjoy each other’s company. Maybe that might make him more comfortable and it would be a special moment you can always remember without the pressure of an audience

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics