Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kirsten
Frequent user April 2020 Alberta

Passport in maiden name?

Kirsten, on September 22, 2019 at 21:19 Posted in Honeymoon 0 18
Hey girls!

I am just curious. My fiance and I will be traveling about a month after the wedding. I know this is enough time to get my license switched over but I'm worried about my passport and getting it in time. Can I travel on my maiden name passport as long as the airline tickets are booked with the name on the passport? Or should I just wait to change everything after we get back?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Kirsten, on September 23, 2019 at 15:43
  • Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In Alberta you get a copy of the registration documents the day you get married, which from what I'm told the registries will take as documentation to change your license/Alberta health. And than its abound 14 business days than you can apply for your certificate and it is mailed within 2-3days. I'm confident I can change all my alberta ID pretty soon. But my passport I dont think I will because they want the certificate which is why I'm asking if I book with my maiden name. Being in law enforcement I dont have the option of going by my new name "socially" I need it legally for work, at least need it on my appointment ID. Has to be one or the other
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I dont think that will be enough time. you have to wait for your officiant to send in the documentation and i heard that takes 3 weeks + then you have to apply for the certificate and that takes about a month or 2. i would use your maiden name you dont want any issues.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lucky lol!!

• Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thankfully not here. Told about 10-14 business days and that it is mailed within 2-3 business days from the date of application
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Here, the officiant sends the registration the next business day (anyone getting married on Saturday will have their officiant send it on Monday). But we are told to wait the 6-8 weeks before applying to get our certificate :/

• Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yah, so the officiant is required by law to submit the marriage certificate to vital statistics within 48hrs of the ceremony here. Than you can order it within 10 days. Some agencies allow you to use the license/registration of marriage and some require the full certificate. To my understanding the registration office allows for the license to be sufficient. But most banks and federal agencies require the certificate
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Huh, interesting!

• Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya I didn't think it was a thing either but a couple people I have spoken to that recently got married said that it is accepted by the registries. If not the license should take only 10-15days until you can apply for the certificate here in alberta.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm still blown-away that you can use your (record of) marriage license to change ID over! In Ontario, everything needs the certificate. (You have to wait 6-8 weeks before you can even apply for your certificate, which takes 15 business days for processing and delivery).

• Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yah my fiance and I are both law enforcement and I guess technically I could use my maiden name at work and married name outside but it would get too confusing,not to mention I would be signing my tickets with whatever name is on my ID for court purposes. I know passport and stuff need to have the certificate, which I'm told is about 10days to get. But a friend of mine married this past summer and said she was able to use the license to change her license and provincial ID over
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah lucky! I think as long as your passport and tickets/accommodations are in the same name, it'll be fine. You could also apply for rush service with your passport in certain locations:

Express/Rush passport

I see your struggle! FH is also in law enforcement and can only have one name to go by really.

• Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know that the Alberta registries will let you change your name with your marriage license that's signed, which you get the day you get married. So I know I can get my license and all provinvial ID changed over basically the next day. I am only worried about my passport. I've heard as long as the ticket matches the passport and you have all other documents you should be fine.

I would go by the new name socially however I am an officer and I cant identify myself as one name and have my ID say another. Which is why I would want it changed asap. And I know they only need my license change to make the change on it.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd personally wait until you are back to change everything over. Different provinces have different processing times of certificates (Ontario is pretty dang slow!)

You also don't want a delay/cancellation of your trip due to names not matching!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, if I was you I would just wait until you get back to change everything. For the potential stress of something not coming quite on time, it’s not worth the risk. It’s also a lot of stress to be rushing passports and such right after the wedding. If I was you I would just hold off until you get back. It doesn’t stop you from using the new name socially! So you can still have people call you by your new name, I just wouldn’t risk changing it legally because heaven forbid something goes wrong with an application and causes a delay, or you get your certificate later than expected. It’s a lot to risk. I would travel on your maiden name for the time being then deal with it when you get back. You really don’t want your passport and driver’s licence not to match because it can cause a lot of trouble if you need to use a secondary piece of Id for anything.

Personally, my learners licence expires at the beginning of March and I can only renew it as of mid January. I’ll be legally changing my name then despite marrying in November and using the name socially, so I don’t have to worry about paying more than I need to. As long as all of your documents have the same name before you travel, it shouldn’t be an issue. But I wouldn’t change some documents without others as it could open a whole can of worms if anyone questions anything.
  • Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yah I guess the certificate is about 10days here ish. But the alberta registries will take your signed license that they give you at your ceremony to change your name for healthcare and license
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All I know is that if your officiant were to go and drop the license off rather than mail it in - it will be processed faster. (Friends got married about 8 years ago and got the marriage certificate a couple days after getting married.)

• Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had a couple friends here in alberta say that got married this year the officiant gave them a copy immediately after the ceremony
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can travel in your maiden name as long as your passport and ticket have the same name.

Keep in mind that it takes more than a month to get your marriage certificate back, so you wouldn't be able to change any identification a month afterwards.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics