Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexis
Devoted July 2021 Ontario

Passport / Assuming husbands last name

Alexis, on February 13, 2022 at 23:44 Posted in Ontario 0 5
So I just assumed my husbands last name. I will be applying for a passport in my new last name.

Right now my drivers license name is different from my passport.
I’ve heard that you can show your marriage certificate with your passport at boarder crossings until your name is changed on the passport.
Have you seen that information anywhere? I’ve been looking on the gov of Canada’s website but I haven’t seen any mention of this

5 Comments

Latest activity by Marcella, on November 24, 2023 at 04:58
  • Marcella
    Newbie November 2022 Quebec
    Marcella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Regarding your passport and driver's license not matching, you're on the right track. You can indeed use your marriage certificate as supporting documentation when crossing borders until you officially update your passport with your new last name. This is a common practice and helps ease the transition period. Also, for anyone who's going through a process of renewing their IDs, I'd suggest you consider using virtual fake IDs online. It's for your own safety to protect yourself from online scammers while you are waiting for new IDs to be ready.

• L
    Newbie June 2038 New Brunswick
    Lara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Alexis, hope the name change process has been smooth sailing since your post! If you're still in the process or for anyone else reading, usually, your marriage certificate is enough to bridge the gap between different names across official IDs for a short period.However, policies can change, so it's always a good idea to check the latest from the Government of Canada's website or reach out to them directly. And for any future document verification needs, tools like idanalyzer can be really helpful. If you've traveled since, how did it go with the name difference?

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Alexis,

I found this page on the government website:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

It looked like it has all of the answers you are looking for.

Best of luck!

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you can just show your passport, since you did not legally change your name. Until your passport name has been officially changed. Because you’re not showing any other ID, just your passport.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Call the consulate of the country you plan on visiting. They can give you more info on what their border agents will accept.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics