Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joy
Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia

Outdoor processional and recessional

Joy, on May 27, 2023 at 19:56 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 4

I'm at the point where I start thinking about the ceremony and how the day will go.

I was thinking, it's traditional that the groom is already at the front, but where we'll be outside, I don't really want to have him be out there waiting for people to arrive. I've seen all sorts of variations, but there are a few things I'd like to consider.

The first is that I don't know if I want to pair people up. I'd feel weird with it especially as some already have significant others, and there's also quite a height difference and I worry that some people wouldn't be seen walking up. How I'm imagining it is that we'd start in the building, then walk down the driveway to the outdoor area. I think the last wedding I was at had the groom and his group go up first, and then the brides party and the bride with her dad at the end. I'm not sure if I like that either. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm also wondering about seating and music. With the ceremony being outside and the goal of having live music, I was wondering what would work best. If we do a song for the ushers seating people, and then a song for walking in, or if we have the song change when I walk up, or what. I'm open to ideas on that too.

For walking out, I'm not sure how that works, if we'd just walk back to the building, leading the group to the lounge area while we get photos and the decorator makes sure things are set up, or if we just hang out outside and the ushers can lead people inside as they want to. I worry about the heat (August is the warmest month usually), as well as mobility as it might take some family members longer to get inside. I haven't been to any weddings with an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception, so if anyone wants to share what they did/are doing, or has ideas, I'm at the stage of trying to figure out what the best options are.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Carine, on May 30, 2023 at 10:17
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm having an outdoor ceremony and I'm just doing Spotify while the guest are seating, then I'm having the parents and Grandparents walk down.

For the groom and boys, I have a different song for them to walk down the aisle and a different song for me and the girls.

• Mila
    Featured October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception like you.
    Our plan is for the dj to play music while guests are seated. Song changes and groom walks out followed by his two his friends and my two friends walking individually. Then the song changes again and I walk out.
    For the recessional plan is for the music to start and we walk down and go left to take pictures and the guests are ushered right towards the reception for cocktail hour.
    I was in a wedding in August where the groom and his party were already at the front. Music started playing and the wedding party walked out, song changed for the bride. After the ceremony, the guests congratulated the couple and got photos taken with them. No one seemed to be bothered by the heat.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and I had an outdoor ceremony and inside reception at the same venue in August and it was 37 degrees at the time of our ceremony.

My now husband walked down the aisle by himself. Then it was his mom and step dad. Followed by his dad and step mom. Then the Best Man walked with my Mom down the aisle followed by my MOH walking down herself. She did say it was a beautiful moment of just her coming in. Then myself and my father walked down.

We had music playing while people were getting seated. Then we had music for the bridal party and a different song for my MOH and Myself walking down the aisle.

For our recessional, we walked down the aisle, (got the photos we wanted) then we had a group photo taken so all of our guests stayed at their seats and just turned around so we got a group shot of our entire wedding!

We then had a ceremony reception outside where we had cocktails and food available until reception hour started an hour later. Our guests could also go on a wine tour if they wanted to to get out of the heat but of course a lot of our guests wanted to look around the venue. Once our reception area opened for our guests they were able to go in until our grand entrance, since my husband and bridal party were taking photos throughout out venue

• Jackie
    Featured September 2023 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Joy! I am also doing an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception. My FH has 4 groomsmen, and I have 4 bridesmaids and my 3 brothers walking on my side.

Here is my plan: We have a DJ so he will be playing soft music as guests filter in. My girls and I are going to be waiting in the lodge (we are getting married at a ski resort) until people are all seated and ready. For the processional: FH and his boys are walking up together to a “Wolfpack” song of his choice. He and the best man stand at the front and the rest sit down in the first row. Then my 3 bridesmaid walk with my 3 brothers and take their seats in the front row. 2 of my bridesmaids are taller than my brothers, but I don’t think this looks weird, people don’t focus so much on that as the dresses and the flowers and how pretty it all is. Then my MOH will walk and stand at the altar so she can be beside me, then me and my dad.
    After the ceremony me and my (new!) husband will walk down the aisle, followed by our wedding party. We will go immediately into photos.
    To help with all of the coordination I have 3 key people: my MC- he will announce when and where guests should be, which will help people know where to go for the reception after the ceremony when I am busy doing photos etc. I am also making signage that will guide people where to go.My MOH- she is a wedding coordinator and will make sure the bridal party and family know where they need to be and when. And my photographer- she has done so many weddings and is a vault of information on how these things play out. If you’ve hired one reach out and get her input too!!
    For the heat- you could get some umbrellas real cheap off Amazon, I’ve seen packs of like 30, and put them near where guests will walk into the ceremony in case they need some shade.
    Lastly if your ceremony and reception are in the same venue they likely have done a lot of these summer weddings before and have a lot of answers or ideas that might help too. Good luck!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics