Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S.
Beginner October 2022 British Columbia

Outdoor engagement shooting during a heat wave

S., on June 26, 2021 at 14:25 Posted in British Columbia 0 8

My hair & makeup trial and the engagement photoshoot were scheduled to take place this Sunday around Pitt Meadows near Vancouver. We scheduled with the vendors weeks ago and back then our only hope was that it wouldn't rain outside (LOL)

Then the heatwave came this week and it's supposed to be 40 degrees during most of the afternoon / early evening, when we are scheduled to shoot outdoors!

I feel like we shouldn't reschedule for the sake of all the vendors involved. Most likely they will be busy for the rest of the summer weekends now that COVID restrictions ease (which is great! I am truly happy for all the couples who were finally able to have their summer 2021 weddings after all the postponements!).

Any tips to battle the heat wave during an outdoor photoshoot?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on June 28, 2021 at 22:38
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's wonderful! I'm glad it worked out for you guys Smiley heart

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Glad it worked out!! 😊
  • S.
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For anyone who ever runs into similar situations, I guess here are the lessons learned:

1. Don't wait till the last minute but reschedule if you can! Heat wave is a valid reason to reschedule.

2. Canadian Tire carries hand-held personal fans for $20 each. They work great during breaks of shooting and while walking!

3. Coconut water + ice pack.

4. Travel size thermal water spray

5. We didn't make much use of the umbrella because we were able to walk under the shades most of the time, but if you're shooting location is in a more open space, I can see it useful to carry one!

• S.
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for sharing your experience! We didn't think the vendors would be open to rescheduling, especially on the day before/of. We had a call with our photographer on the day to check if he's still comfortable shooting and he was super easy to work with. We ended up shooting during the evening, and got some great sunset shots.

• S.
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had a call with our photographer during the day, and ended up moving our shooting to an hour and half later than our original time. We also had a change in location (driven by other external factors, oh well), but the new location is fully shaded from the parking lot to the shooting area.

Gatorade was a great suggestion! We brought 3 big bottles of coconut water including one for our photographer. It was still hotter than usual, but I think it turned out well despite the weather!

Thanks for your input Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would see if you're able to switch dates just because of this heat. My fiance and I had to move our engagement photos twice 2 years ago, one for it being 36 degrees and another we had picked it rained all day. Our photographer had no problem switching to a new date she totally understood. I live in Alberta and we're also getting this heat wave so I totally understand where you're coming from. But at the same time you shouldn't be out in this heat for extended periods of time and if you still want to have you photos done, bring lots of water and maybe an umbrella while you're not taking photos and such

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Also take showers as cold as you can handle before and after the photo shoot and just throughout the next few days in general. It will help bring your body temperature back down and keep you cool for a few hours afterward.

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I absolutely think it's reasonable to reschedule unless you can move your shoot to an indoor air conditioned place or move it to early in the morning or late in the evening. It's not safe to be outside for extended periods of time in this heat. You can still do your hair/makeup trial and just do your own hair and makeup if you postpone your engagement shoot.

If you absolutely can't move it and your photographer is okay working in these conditions bring tons of gatorade. Seek shade as much as possible and try to keep the photo shoot very short.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics