Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KELLY
Super October 2023 Ontario

Original cake designs

KELLY, on January 31, 2022 at 20:17 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

Hi there Fellow brides and grooms,

We have been connecting with many vendors for our wedding cake and sweet table. I always include a photo(s) of cakes/cupcakes that we found in their WW page that are close to our vision. The thing is, I have seen a few pictures of the same cakes on different vendors pages with their company name or WW on the photo. Any suggestions on how to find cakes that the vendor actually made?

11 Comments

Latest activity by KELLY, on February 2, 2022 at 12:07
  • KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Hank

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wouldn't just rely on weddingwire. Check out their actual websites and Google search other bakers on other platforms.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It could be a generic cake design that a lot of bakers adopt, similar to how every jeweler has a "Tiffany" style engagement ring with the six prongs. I feel like as long you can see the workmanship and quality of the cake build via customer images, you should be okay.

• KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will do that Carmel, thank you for the great tip

• KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Funny thing Amanda, I have seen the same cake on three different vendors photos- how are we to know who's cake it really is?? LOL

• KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Jenelle, I will try reverse google searches!

• KELLY
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Jacquie, I will do that!

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always think the best pictures to look at are from customers. Looking them up on google is where I would start, then their website. Also when in wedding wire you select to secondly photos from reviews. Original cake designs 1

• Jenelle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would recommend looking up the vendor(s) actual website, and not just wedding wire. See if they have a robust portfolio of cakes/cupcakes that seem to be consistent quality, and the photo style seems consistent between pictures. If someone is ripping off photos of other cakes and using them as their own, a telling sign may be that the pictures they post are going to be either a) very few or b) a mismatch of a bunch of styles/quality of work and photos that don’t seem consistent from picture to picture. Alternatively you can ask the baker if they can send you more examples - chances are if they’re the real deal they’ll have a significant collection of their work, because they want to represent their business, even if they don’t post all of them to social media (unless they’re just starting out in which case they would probably advertise as such). Finally, you can try using a reverse image google search if there’s a vendor you’re particularly wary of, and try searching a few of their photos - if another site comes up with the search that’s a huge red flag right there!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That would be a total red flag to me if they're using other people's photos as their own cakes! I would look elsewhere

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What?! So they're using photos of cakes they did not make on their site? That's a redflag to me. The ONLY time I've seen this is a small side hustle business where they state that these are not their work but they can create similar (I make cakes on the side and I'd never but anyway). A strong, confident (which you want) cake artist would and should be advertising their own work in order to drum up business. I very much doubt many bakers do this so I'd keep looking!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics