Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Ontario suspending marriage licenses

Sarah, on April 8, 2020 at 09:38 Posted in Ontario 0 6
This came out a few weeks ago now but if you’re in Ontario and wanted to elope can you technically do it if you can’t apply for a marriage license?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on April 9, 2020 at 11:50
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You wont be actually married if you elope. you need a marriage licence no matter what you do and two witnesses to sign it. the service Ontarios are closed and right now you cannot get a licence

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!! That explains it quite well
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unfortunately you can't legally get married as long as government offices are closed because you need the license before you can legally be married by a registered officiant. And contrary to what Vinod said, you can't just have someone do an online course and temporarily marry you. Unlike the states, we can't just have a bunch of internet guys ordain anyone to perform marriages. Oh, and after the wedding, you need a marriage certificate from the government to prove you're legally married.

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You require a valid marriage licence to be married in Ontario.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Eloping is possible though you will have someone temporarily marry you and needing the marriage license (whom has done the online course). The license is good only if the Officiant is present and signs or the individual who is certified for the event.

Having the actual wedding with family and friends surrounding you would be official given you have the license or the Officiant ahead of time. In this case, I wanted to check the internet about elopement and said it was needed unless said otherwise.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think you will be “married” without the license.

But someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics