Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Curious September 2023 Ontario

Ontario - September 2020 Brides: Keeping your dates or postponing?

Kris, on April 26, 2020 at 21:58 Posted in Ontario 3 17
My wedding date is September 12th of this year, and I feel like it's really hard for September Brides right now because we're in a bit of a grey area. We're not early enough that pushing our date is a definite, and we're not far enough out that we shouldn't worry. I'm in a position right now where all of my vendors are willing to push the date to next year, but my venue is only making that decision for dates based on 6 weeks out dependant on current government recommendation. This makes a lot of sense for many reasons, it allows those whose weddings will most definitely be cancelled to have their choice in upcoming dates for next year, and also we can't expect venues to completely cancel all weddings for months at a time and move them all the following year , it's not realistic. Have any of you made the decision to change your date and if so what were the responses from your venues? And for those of you who aren't changing your date at this time, how are you feeling right now?!

17 Comments

Latest activity by Kris, on August 17, 2020 at 21:11
  • K
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We decided to postpone! Our new date is May 1st 2021. As difficult as it was and as sad as I am, I think in the long run it will be better. With covid looming over everything we couldn't make any decisions and we weren't enjoying the process. Now the joy has come back into our wedding experience! And the good news is almost everything has been booked, so not much is left to do. I did make the decision to hire a month of coordinator so that I don't have to deal with any issues closer to the wedding. We had an easy time rebooking all of our vendors and didn't lose anyone, but our venue was not cooperative and getting them to move to a new date was not an easy thing. We've accepted that whatever the situation is at the time of our new date, we are not postponing or cancelling again, we will get married with whatever the situation is and right now we are just hoping for the best!
  • Nylene
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Nylene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello
    So my fiancé and I decided to postpone our reception to next summer 2021. We are hoping by end of September restrictions are better so that we can have our ceremony but also have an intimate gathering with our family and bridal party. While we didn’t anticipate having to postpone our reception- we believe it’s important for us to have our live band, dancing and not have covid looming over everyone and it’ll be worth the wait. In the meantime, we are in the process of securing a videographer to capture our wedding day ceremony and plan on showing this video to our guests at our reception so it feels like they were a part of it.
    While we had to go back to square one with our original wedding plans- I have came to a point where I’ve accepted that while our wedding may not be “typical” it’s something that we’re making the most out of and I’m now more excited for our intimate wedding ceremony. Let’s just hope things get better and not worse! I do hope that other brides find hope and peace in a decision that makes the most sense to them. Whether you want to postpone or want to have a wedding pt2 next year- it will be perfect!
  • K
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, we decided to postpone! We've waited so long for this day and September is just so close and still seems so uncertain, and we didn't want to worry about anyone falling ill, along with all of the restrictions I'm sure we'll still be in place at that time. I know this must be so difficult for people like yourself who were supposed to be married this spring and pushed it to the fall and are still trying to be hopeful! I'm so sorry for all of the 2020 Brides who are Coping as best they can right now. I know it's especially difficult because not all vendors and venues are being especially helpful or flexible. But we were able to move our date to next year and didn't lose any vendors which I'm so grateful for. Who knows what 2021 will look like but I'm just trying to be hopeful that things will be a little bit clearer at that time, and we will all be used to our new normal. All the best to you and your FH, whether you keep your date or postpone!
  • Renee
    Newbie September 2020 Michigan
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi! Did you guys decide to keep or postpone? I’m also Sept. 26 and very nervous. We already postponed once (originally May 16).
  • Erica
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Erica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's such a hard and emotional decision to have to make, I feel for you all, I was suppose to be getting married October 3, 2020 but have decided to postpone my wedding till May 15, 2021, have been so worried about the second wave possibly hitting in the fall. Good luck everyone

• Agata
    Agata ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! we postponed our June 26 wedding to September 24...we have 50 guests so we are still hoping to see something change. Our venue isn't allowing us to hold a spot for next year which sucks a lot as we definitely would book a second date next year. When i emailed them beginning of June, the venue said they are only moving July right now. Not much we can do but wait sadly. I feel as though the excitement for the wedding definitely went away. Hope all the best for you!!!

• K
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi there! We have decided to postpone to next Spring, and I'm so glad that we did. I feel excitement and joy again, both of which I feel I was robbed of the past few months. Of course it's sad, but we have waited over a decade for our day, we plan on only doing this once, and we want to do it right! If we had gone ahead with our September date I would have been worried about getting sick or our guests getting sick, and it wasn't worth the risk and restrictions. I know that decision isn't for everyone, but it's what we thought was best for our situation! Best of luck to you, I truly hope that everything works out as you have planned!
  • Nylene
    Nylene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Kristen,
    Still holding out hope! We’re in the same boat
  • Nylene
    Nylene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi everyone
    September 26 2020 bride over here and I’m also holding out hope that our date will continue forward. While we’ve come to terms that our wedding may look a lot different than what we initially imagined (smaller guestlist), were still faced with the uncertainty if we should wait or postpone. As of right now we are waiting to speak to our venue in July- hoping to get clarification about what our wedding could look like and how they intend to keep our guests safe, etc. But not gonna lie- the uncertainty is really taking a toll on me! While the situation that we’re facing sucks, I’m also grateful in a way that other brides and couples are experiencing similar stressors, as it can feel isolating. Hoping for the best of luck to everyone else out there!!
  • K
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey! I'm Sept. 25 in Niagara region... still holding out hope as well. Have you made a decision?

• A
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm September 5th 2020 and we have a date on hold for Sept 4 2021. All of vendors are available so I was very lucky. We haven't officially pulled the plug on the 2020 date, but I have accepted that we likely will need to! I think even if we can have 100+ people, there will likely be no lead up events to the wedding like bachelorette/bachelor parties and showers. We will probably make a final call in June. I know its hard when your venue is waiting to save new dates that is definitely more complicated.

• Miranda
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding date is September 26th. I'm hoping I get to have it. I will be assessing the situation to decide the first week of July...... fingers crossed things get better for then.
  • Catherine
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi there!

We were suppose to get married Sept 26. We didn’t bother postponing, especially since covid-19 has no end in sight, we just cancelled the wedding reception entirely and are only planning on doing an intimate ceremony/virtual wedding. At the time of cancelling most of our vendors were recommending we postpone to next year, but who knows what next year will be like? Who’s to say things will be back to “normal”..maybe km a pessimist or I really just want to say I do! Anyways we received some of our deposits back but not all. Some vendors won’t budge. Nonetheless maybe wait at least end of June or July to get a better idea of where the world is at!
  • Rebecca
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am August 8, we have been in contact with our venue and are waiting until June to make our final decision. They already have very limited dates for next year so we have arrange another phone meeting on Thursday about choosing a date for a plan b. I am hoping they will hold it for us in the mean time until we finalize our choice in June.

• Lisa
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was also going to be married on Sept 12 this year, this day was marking our 15 year to the day that we met. We had about 100 ppl that where attending, at this time we have decided that we are going to postpone the wedding as we have guest coming from all over like BC and USA. We wanted to make sure that everyone was safe, willing to travel.

We have contacted the church,DJ and venue and they are all willing to work with us as it is uncertain that by Sept we will be through this. I hope that everything works out for you.

• Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's a scary world we are in and there is no knowing what the future will hold. Our date is August 14th, we are waiting until June to make any decisions. Our biggest challenge right now is the finances due to layoffs. Smiley sad Hopefully Ontario will be issuing marriage licenses soon so many of us can still get married on our planned day and if we must hold a big party later! Be well and try to enjoy the down time with your fiance.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can't even imagine the stress you're under right now. My wedding isn't till February and I'm already wondering if the second wave will be hitting us then. Will we be postponed too. I'm lucky that if we have to it really won't be the end of the world for us to postpone to another date or even for a year after. I hope you get the answers you need sooner rather than later. Best of luck.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics