Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

April
Newbie August 2021 Ontario

Ontario reopening plan 2021

April, on May 20, 2021 at 22:20 Posted in Ontario 2 55
Does anyone have a good idea of what the third stage of the Ontario reopening plan means for ceremonies and receptions? We are getting married in late August 2021. The plan isn’t specific on indoor/outdoor ceremony numbers or reception numbers.

55 Comments

Latest activity by MaddieJ, on June 11, 2021 at 12:27
  • M
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    MaddieJ ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a relief! Now lets just figure out if dancing is allowed and then it's party timeee!

Or if we use the same logic as the liquor, if the restriction is not written, it doesn't exist? Smiley laugh

• Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    THIS 👏🏽👏🏽

Also apparently the liquor curfew doesn’t exist anymore. It’s regular last call hours just like a bar/restaurant!
    No idea about the rest of your questions tho lol
  • M
    MaddieJ ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting slightly annoyed by everyone copy-pasting information from Ontario's website. We can all see and read this information. There are clear bits of information that are missing (not just for weddings but for other businesses too), for example:

- With event spaces at 25% capacity in Step 2 - does this specifically allow wedding receptions in said event spaces?

- What time does the venue have to stop serving alcohol?

- Is dancing allowed?

and more, and more....

• Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations everyone on your upcoming weddings. Thank you for sharing your thoughts/info. Planning has been so difficult with the ongoing changes in restrictions.

I had found a wedding petition: http://chng.it/p5h7JK56r8

The latest info for re-opening Ontario if vaccination thresholds are met and if case counts remain low then the re-opening of Ontario (pending gov’t approval) should be:

Step 1 - June 11, 2021 Step 2 – July 2, 2021 Step 3 – July 23, 2021

Below is a great snapshot of the opening plans. Full info at: https://www.ontario.ca/page/reopening-ontario

Wishing you the best of luck!!

Ontario reopening plan 2021 1

Ontario reopening plan 2021 2

• Amanda
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://sagedesigns.ca/2021/05/20/ontarios-reopening-plan-what-it-means-for-weddings-in-2021/&ved=2ahUKEwi0zcnt8YbxAhUHRa0KHaj4CvoQFjACegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw2E3nrak_Sz_RaSzbV0zrtc&cshid=1623116098937
  • M
    MaddieJ ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel you.. But they do need to release additional guidance for venues and other businesses (such as what time should they stop serving alcohol? last time it was 10pm in some zones), otherwise they cant operate. WE NEED MORE INFO!!

• Stephanie
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wish I believed it! I’ve been told by about 5 different gov agencies more details would be released and they never were and I don’t think they will.

Some idiot decided a 10 person, private backyard bbq with no one monitoring social distancing and health protocols is the same level of risk as a 10 person, outdoor dinner at licensed OUTDOOR wedding venue with tables spaces 2 M apart and professionals monitoring. I’m truly Embarrassed to live in Ontario.
  • M
    MaddieJ ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The Ontario Wedding Association has been in contact with the government to clarify the restrictions (I saw this on their IG page). I am hoping something will come soon.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s! If enough people continue to question and raise alarms they will eventually deal with it.
  • Lara
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Lara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So I have been doing the same thing!

I emailed my MPP twice and sent an email to Doug Ford asking for clarity around weddings. We’re supposed to get married July 4, it doesn’t look like that’s possible but now we’re looking at moving to August of this year but we can’t get any clarity on the restrictions for outdoor weddings. I keep thinking they’ll release more details around capacities but the announcement never comes.
    I also called the business line and they basically read the website to me and told me they don’t have access to any additional information.
  • Jessica
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My venue does not have an option for outdoor ceremony but the room we last rescheduled to has a capacity for 650 people. 550 people can go to a Leafs game but we can’t have 100 people in a room that holds 650 who would be more distanced then those at the game....makes total sense 🙄 I hoped that maybe them going to the game would make things better for us, but with the emergency powers now extended until December I’m not sure.
  • Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There was an article out there that listed 25% which I’m assuming is how my venue determined their numbers. I can’t find it anymore though!
  • A K
    Beginner February 2015 Ontario
    A K ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really hope you are right. Just confused as to why the consolidation period notes that this order was released on May 20. https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200263

• M
    MaddieJ ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Again, the laws have not been updated. If you read the law for Stage 2, it refers to many things that are in contradiction of the most recent reopening plan. Example - indoor dining:

8. The total number of patrons permitted to be seated indoors in the establishment must be limited to the number that can maintain a physical distance of at least two metres from every other person in the establishment, and in any event cannot exceed the lesser of,

i. 50 patrons, and

• A K
    A K ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s in the event and meeting space guidance section for stage 2, that’s where people are getting the 25% from. But the law says 25 people for event meeting spaces, not 25%.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The gathering limit does not apply to wedding venues... it’s for private gathering. Patio restrictions are what it will be aligned with. Some people may be assuming that because that’s the only info available. At some point before we actually go into
    Phase 1 he’ll have to clarify and I can guarantee he will be pressed to change them based on every other provinces sensible approach to outdoor weddings.
  • A K
    A K ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is my exact fear as well.
  • A K
    A K ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s in the govt guidance but the actual regulations say “25 people”. I honestly think someone goofed up when writing the policy, hope I’m wrong.
  • Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s so crazy have venues are interpreting it so differently. A girl I know said her venue won’t even open until stage 3 because they’re convinced they fall under the gathering limit. I’m relieved my venue is going by event space capacity... but I’m scared to get my hopes up and have them come back and say sorry we were wrong you can only have 25.
  • M
    MaddieJ ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My venue said they consider themselves an event space and the rules for event spaces in Step 2 are 25% capacity outdoors.

• Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good job on the letter! Way more professional than mine but I was so fired up when I wrote it I didn’t care about my professionalism in it hahaha.

And the 25% capacity is what outdoor event spaces are allowed to have in stage 2. This is what my venue told me they are going by as well, but o know TONS of girls who’s venues are saying this isn’t allowed and that restrictions for weddings are separate from event spaces.
  • Parisa
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Parisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am not sure, but it's possible that it's based on what is allowed for "Meeting and event spaces". See here.

Just to be clear, I didn't ask my venue coordinator why they think it's 25%, this is just a guess.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where are they finding that 25% number for outdoor reception? It’s not in any of the info that’s been released that I’ve seen. Have you send what it is for phase 1? Could you share the source? Thanks!
  • M
    MaddieJ ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My venue said the same thing, but didn't sound sure. They are still confirming with the authorities

• M
    MaddieJ ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My venue said the same thing, but didn't sound sure. They are still confirming with the authorities

• Parisa
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Parisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is on July 18, which will likely fall in Stage 2. Our reception will be outdoors and our venue coordinator told us that her understanding is we can have 25% of their outdoor capacity for reception. She did think that the number might go up by July.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent this to Ford and to my local MPP!

Please do the same. Also call his office directly to put pressure on them.
    Ontario reopening plan 2021 3
    Ontario reopening plan 2021 4

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agreed, hopefully if enough message about this or push for a change they will fix it. It’s also extremely vague in the reopening plan I thought they would provide more details, just seems like the plan is going backwards. Not like he hasn’t changed things in the past !! So fingers crossed. I feel for all the brides such a frustrating process not knowing 😞 I will be emailing him though and may use some of your explanation; it’s worded very well!! Lol
  • Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know it’s ridiculous! We were supposed to get married August 1st and postponed. We even had a pretty big get together that day with family and friends. If we only knew.... it’s all so freakin unfair. So many people are suffering ... vendors, venues, couples. Douglas just does not care at all.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is amazing !!!! I’m sending one too ... so outrageous these restrictions; we were better off having a reception last summer without a vaccine !!!! Insanity and extremely frustrating.
  • Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They updated it May 20 2021. It says at the top it’s current.
  • Ally
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Ally ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This document is out of date. It is from the first Stage 3 identified in 2020, before the colour coding system. Doesn't apply to the current Stage 3. Confusing, I know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics