Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner July 2022 Nova Scotia

Officiants in Nova Scotia

James, on September 27, 2021 at 19:21 Posted in Nova Scotia 0 4
Hi!

We are planning to have my fiancé’s cousin officiate. It seems there is a way in je to have someone be able to legally officiate one wedding; anyone done this? Any feedback on how the process went? If he can’t legally officiate we will have a JP do the important part and him do the rest but it seems there’s a way to do it?

4 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on September 27, 2021 at 22:59
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

By the way, your post wasn't in the Ontario section but your profile says you're getting married in Ontario so people assumed those rules applied to you and answered accordingly.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Apparently because there are enough full time JPs in Nova Scotia, they're no longer taking any applications for term appointments.

https://novascotia.ca/just/court_services/civilwed.asp

Which means the ceremony your cousin performs will be for show only and you'll need a regular JP to conduct the official ceremony. If I were you, I would just get the legal one out of the way either beforehand or earlier in the day and have your cousin perform the one for the party guests.

• J
    Beginner July 2022 Nova Scotia
    James ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In Nova Scotia. Not sure why the first post went thru as Ontario so reposted. He isn’t ordained at all, NS has the option to be a JP in a limited capacity.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you getting married in Ontario or Nova Scotia? Is your cousin ordained to officiate weddings in Nova Scotia? If so, he can only do it while you're in Nova Scotia and you have to register your marriage in Nova Scotia. He can't perform a marriage in Ontario.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics