Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Madii
Newbie November 2018 Ontario

Officiant Specifics?

Madii, on January 5, 2018 at 15:16 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 6
My partner mentioned if possible he would like someone from the first nations community to do the officiating.... I have began looking through Google and the community website for the Tyendinaga Mohawk Reservation in Belleville and am not having any luck. This is really important to him because he hopes that this individual may be able to give use both some insight on how to keep / create native traditions in our new family and for our future children. Being that my own personal background is not first nations I love the idea of learning more about the culture of the family that I am marrying into and would like to honour his request. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Megis, on March 15, 2018 at 22:38
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If he knows an elder in the community they may have the requirements for officiating a marriage. I recently contacted an elder who will be doing my marriage. She may have more contacts. I'll get back to you once I know more.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If sending e-mails doesn't exist I would also suggest setting aside a day to go visit and see if you have more luck with face-to-face contact.

• Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well keep me posted! I did so much reading on it when you asked, out of pure curiosity, and now I feel invested hahaha. I hope someone knows which way to guide you!!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There's bound to be someone in the area thay can make his request happen.
  • Madii
    Newbie November 2018 Ontario
    Madii ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is a great idea! Thank you for the input, we have put a few emails out, and I tried contacting the aboriginal community liaison from Queens University as it is pretty close in proximity fingers crossed! Smiley smile
  • Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a social work student in BC, when I have to find really specific info like this, its best to start with people who know the community more broadly!!
    I browsed out of curiosity and strongly suspect a good starting point would be the chief's assistant or the community aboriginal recreation worker. Under contacts it had emails. From my experience, once you gain contact with someone from the community they'll support you in finding the right information. They may not be the ones you need to contact but they may know who you should Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics