Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jen
VIP June 2018 Ontario

Not sure which to go with...

Jen, on March 10, 2017 at 13:19 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16

Hey ladies, I need your help! So, I've recently come across the beautiful Chiavari chairs at an event we went to and fell in love with how they complete the look of a room. However, they are FAR from comfortable. My fiance and I are looking for that subtle Victorian feel with our decor and know that these would give us exactly that. Our reception is held in a smaller sized ballroom in the hotel we will be having our ceremony at, it has a darker, smaller feel to it (very cozy) and isn't all that fancy to begin with. Now, here are the issues I have with renting these chairs... they're $8/chair plus a set up/take down fee and about 60% of our guests are over the age of 50. They are offering us the banquet chairs to use in the room for free, of course, but they are ugly as heck with the chair covers on them. I've never really been a fan of chair covers at all. I just find them tacky. Perhaps I could look for another accessory to go on the chair though. What do you ladies think we should do? Banquet chairs with chair covers or splurge on the Chiavari chairs to give us the look we want. ** Also note, that we would have to pay for chair covers ($3 a chair).** I'll add some pictures of the room and the mock up that the decor did in 2 seconds (our centerpieces won't look like this picture).

Chiavari Chairs

Chiavari Chairs

These are the exact chairs that we would be renting without the pearls across the back.

Mock-up Decor

Not sure which to go with... 1

This is a quick mock up my decorator did. We were thinking of the pink table cloth and then she threw this thing on the back of the chair. I'm not a fan, but they are comfortable chairs.

Scandia room

Scandinavian room

And this is what the hall looks like. Those are the exact chairs used.

Scandia Ceiling

Scandia Ceiling

This is what the ceiling looks like (without the paper lanterns)

I need your help!!!!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Jen, on March 19, 2017 at 11:52
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks. I really think we are going to. Wedding planning/talking has been put on hold right now as my fiance just last his nana this passed week and he's about to enter his last month of university so it's a very busy time for him.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely! I was just out of town and they had the chairs at a function we were at. Im obsessed even more so now.

• Amy F
    Beginner September 2017 Ontario
    Amy F ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    After reading these comments I'm second guessing my chair covers lmao .. if it fits in your budget then why not right?! If you have nothing else to splurge on then go for it
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm guilty of that too!!!!! I notice everything which is so hard to make decisions as a result!!!!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know what else to splurge my money on, other than these chairs hahah

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

ohhhh but I will lol I'm that type of person. Im a huge decor person..like wanted to be an interior decorator my whole life then decided on becoming a nurse (? such a big difference) so I'm a huge spaz when it comes to things like this. I notice every. little. detail.

• Amy F
    Beginner September 2017 Ontario
    Amy F ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was also thinking about the Chivari chairs but they were out of our budget! Our hall also supplies complementary chairs with chair covers so we decided to go with that. The ones from your hall look beautiful! Why spend money on chairs when the hall supplies it already? Save your money and splurge on something else! Smiley winking
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    These aren't the best examples but you do have other options besides chair covers or Chivari chairs. I would do something like this in an accent colour like gold. I think the burgundy would do well with the pink and just covering the back will make a world of difference

Not sure which to go with... - 1

Not sure which to go with... - 2

Not sure which to go with... - 3
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Can you just get a sash for the chairs? I'm not a fan of chair covers either so I would go without it something simple. I have seen just a straight band across the back before. It might be a compromise.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey I just looked at the photos more closely, I don't think the chairs look bad without anything on them . Could just be the photo but I think the room looks great with all that decor. Once all your lovely guests are sitting in those chairs and having a great time you won't notice the lack of chair covers Smiley smile
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Chivari chairs are incredibly uncomfortable, not to mention expensive too!
    I'm not a fan of chair covers at all but I do like the scuba chair covers. Their tighter like in your photo. And yes, I would agree to take the band off! I do find scuba chair covers Nicer than the ones that look like they took a table linen and wrapped it around a chair!!!
    Have you considered not having covers at all? Sometimes the chairs at the hotel's aren't bad and they have even have a Victorian design on the fabric you might like, and it would work with your theme!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Help me! Anybody out there? Lol I feel like this forum is dying now with some of the regulars gone Smiley sad
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're already putting $2000 into decorations lol I'm not sure what much more we could add!
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    8 dollars per person for FAR from comfortable chairs seems a bit steep... Especially considering the amount of time people will be sitting in them... Supper, speeches, first dance, parents dances, cake cutting, ect... If you guys can't see yourselves sitting comfortably in the "pretty chairs" for two plus hours, it's likely your older guests will be very uncomfortable... I would pick function over form in this case... As to chair covers... If you don't like them I wouldn't bother, the supplied chairs are not that bad and you could put that money into more decorations.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want them to be comfortable, but I don't want to walk into the room and be like "ew. We shouldn't have used the chair covers". We were also thinking of doing a little comfy sitting area by the bar for those who don't want to be really close to the music and can chill in lower, bigger, comfortable chairs while enjoying a drink and conversation with someone from the family. My fiance loves the look of them but doesn't like the prices. In all fairness, we gave the decorator a price that we didn't want to go over. They were already included in that price. So the way I'm trying to see it is that the Chiavari chairs would only be $5 then lol because we would be saving the $3/chair cover. If we do decide to go with the banquet chairs, I dont' think I could leave them without something covering them. They're just too ugly for my liking lol

• Sarah
    Newbie September 2017 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree chair covers are super tacky, and those ones in particular are pretty bad. It might even look better just leaving the chairs as is rather than using the covers, as they're kind of dark and would hopefully just fade into the background. The chiavari chairs are really lovely though! I think if the chairs completing your look is something that's really important to you and if they fit into your budget then go for it, even if they're uncomfortable. Something to consider is when you and your guests look back on your wedding are you going to remember that sitting was maybe a bit uncomfortable, or what everything looked like overall? And maybe if the chairs are a bit uncomfortable people will be more encouraged to get up and mingle and dance!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics