Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tamara
Beginner July 2019 Alberta

Non- Rehearsal Dinner

Tamara, on May 23, 2019 at 12:32 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6

We will not be doing a rehearsal for our wedding as it is fairly straight forward simple event, however we are wanting to do a get together dinner with our parents and bridal party the night before. Since our wedding is out of town for all of us we are wanting to go to a restaurant to have dinner. My question though is how do you word the invite for the get together that they are to pay for their own meals? As we have 4 groomsmen and 4 bridesmaids and they are all married and some have children we can't afford to pay for everyone. How would you word this in the invite email?

This is also our time when we will be discussing the "Big Day" run through and expectations for timing.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Amie, on May 24, 2019 at 17:51
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with what you stated. That’s a good way to go about it so guests aren’t confused
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Suggestion to say Welcome Dinner over Rehearsal since your not having speeches or anything of the tradition. Just to follow through the daytime schedule for the wedding party.

Part of the welcome package handed out to our guests was a portion of Welcome Dinner with directions to and from the restaurant.

This same concept can be taken and have saying please note guest meals are not paid for the evening. Please come prepared. Daytime schedule will be mentioned for the following day.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree. That's why I think offering expressly appies, or evening cocktails etc... then if they want to order a meal they know that is on them. And that would help cut costs for sure.

But if it's a mandatory function and you are not paying for dinner, then I don't think it should be a "dinner".

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did something similar for our engagement party. we chose to provide a few appetizers for everyone, but anything else they ordered was their own responsibility. you could always say something about how you will be providing a round of drinks, or whatever, if that’s what you chose to do
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it's kinda mandatory in the sense you will be going over timing expectations and etc..

then I don't think you should make them pay. I get it's tough... but there are alternative options.

Instead of a dinner, do appies... or evening cocktails etc.

Or have a barbeque somewhere, or do slow cookers in the suite.

If you want to do the dinner thing... maybe plan to meet somewhere first to do all the formality discussions. (As it may be hard to have those conversations in a busy restaurant anyways)

And then throw out the invite... if you would like to join us for dinner afterwards we will be making reservations at such and such place.

Then it's their option to join, and I would assume that means I am paying. Or like Tori said throw out the "at your own expense" type deal with that invite.

So for instance :

"We will be meeting at (time) at (location) to discuss the events and timing for the wedding.

Afterwards we will be making reservations at (restaurant) for dinner. For any of you wishing to join us, we would love to have you there, but it will be at your own expense." Or "we cannot cover the meals" etc...

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmmm, the only way I can really think of would be to just lay it out plain and simple at the end of the email "Please note that meals are not being provided so don't feel the need to order anything if you do not wish to" or a simple "due to a tight budget we are unable to pay for everybody's meals - I understand if you can't make it"

At the end of the day if they are to pay for it themselves they either need to know they don't have to come, or they don't have to order anything if they do. (IMO)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics