Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Frequent user August 2022 Ontario

Non-dancing entertainment/activities

Laura, on November 25, 2020 at 20:24 Posted in Wedding reception 0 7
Hey brides! I’ve been engaged since June 2019 and supposed to be getting married in August 2021 in York Region/ON. I’m clinging to hope that an effective vaccine will help make my wedding “more” normal - I think masks will still be a thing, and there will be some caps on the number of people. I don’t mind cutting back on the number of guests... but I am worried about not being able to dance. For me, one of the best parts of the night is the dance floor - If I could, I’d be on the dance floor with all my friends all night. So the idea of no dancing is hard to swallow.

What are your ideas or back up plans if we can’t dance at all by then? Our wedding date and time are locked in right now (venue won’t allow changes til 60 days prior otherwise we pay a huge penalty) so by the time dinner is over it’ll be around 8:30-9 pm. We’ve thought of hiring entertainment, but more like dancers/performers who won’t be singing in case live music can’t go ahead. We have an indoor/outdoor space so could get outside games going but honestly that feels kind of boring.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Tracy, on February 10, 2021 at 11:56
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi,

Games or keeping people entertained without dancing can be difficult.

We were going to do corn hole game outside and lawn darts. But inside we are thinking of possible games to do such as an eye spy type bingo, list of items and people check them off, first 3 win a prize and have some fun things to give out. Leave a card on tables listing photos you want people to capture then a hastag or web/email that people can upload/send them to for you to get additional pictures that you may not see. Trivia, he/she says/does are always fun.

You may want to push your food up with guidelines constantly changing.

Whatever you do, be safe and have fun.

• Alannah Saccone
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Alannah Saccone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey there! A little late to the thread, but I know of an amazing vendor and well priced for quiz / trivia. The company is called Quiz Coconuts. They have done multiple virtual and in person events for my work ( I do event planning) . You can even customize the quiz questions or have them themed. Really fun 1 hour -90 minute activity. James is the owner and gets everyone very engaged. Hope this helps Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Table games are fun if you create bingo cards or have guests spin the wheel to say a joke, story or something along the lines of tips at the podium. It won't feel as boring though it will be entertaining to hear from those who want to share. A time frame is good to keep so that you don't have a lot of speaking time for other guests to feel bored.

• Kat
    Newbie September 2021 New Brunswick
    Kat ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is September in New Brunswick- I feel your pain! I was already planning on making an activity book for the children attending but I am starting to think up games for the adults. I was looking at Lawn Beer Pong, flip cup, or some sort of olympics
  • O
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a small wedding in August 2020 and they had someone come in to do trivia which was a lot of fun! We were seated at tables in our "bubbles" and marked our teams own answers as the trivia master read them aloud.

I am getting married July 2021 and we are thinking of doing some lawn games if we can. Horseshoes, lawn bowling, croquet - and then have everyone play in rounds, sanitizing the items in between and while the game is in progress a strict 6ft apart rule, and only touch your own game items.

• Laura
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Hank! I actually didn’t know about the closure times so that’s helpful. I thought I was still going to have to find a way to entertain for hours and not enjoy things for myself!

Big fan of table games. I wasn’t sure how to keep people with their table/bubble of that was stil l required. Such an awesome idea!! 😊
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're thinking of doing games that tables can participate as groups/teams. Things like trivia, Family Feud or other game show type games. We'll have audio visual setup so we can also do games off Steam like Jackbox.

One thing to consider is, if we're still following the current covid guidelines set by the province when August comes, then there's a likelihood that your venue may be forced to end your event by 10pm at the latest (if we're an Orange zone). If your dinner service ends at 9pm, you may not have too much time for activities before you're forced to leave the premises.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics