Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shelby
Beginner October 2017 Alberta

No wedding party

Shelby, on April 22, 2017 at 20:14 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 18
Was wondering if I could have some opinions on our decision on not having a wedding party. My fiance, our boys and myself will be only people to stand at ceremony. Our mothers will be the ones to sign as our witnesses.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 8, 2018 at 12:47
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Weddin party elimination cuts off all worries and main family is with you. Stand by your decision.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think things have changed over the years and people are more accepting of personal preferences in wedding styles. It's perfectly fine not to have a wedding party. The most important people will be standing with you and if this is what you want, do it. It will be a lovely day to remember. Wedding parties often cause conflict so you can do without that.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're on a very tight budget, so the first couple of things we decided on were: 1. to have a very intimate ceremony (immediate family, 1-2 friends); 2. throwing out the idea of having a wedding party. I'll be asking my best friend to be my witness, since I don't have any siblings.

I can see older generations being a bit shocked about this, but who cares. It's our day, we want it to be special for us.

• Daniela
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Marriage traditions are now thrown out the window...you can do whatever you want now so don't have a wedding party if you don't want it!

• Chantal
    Beginner September 2017 Quebec
    Chantal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi I'm doing the same well sort of- just my fiancé and I standing up there and my mom and his dad will sign as witnesses. I feel a little less stressed about having to coordinate a bunch of people :-)

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds lovely! We have 2 each in our party because my FH wanted both his brothers to stand up with him. my best friend and my sister in law are my bridesmaids and I am having my brother act as my witness.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love this idea. I wish we would have done this with just myself, fiancé and my daughter but he wanted to have a party. We've had some major issues with having a wedding party and really wish we opted out of it.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us it will just be a Matron of Honour and Best Man. These are also our witnesses. I have 4 adult children who will be walking me down the aisle and then taking their seats with the other guests. No fuss. I think that these days you can choose to do whatever makes you happy and you're not confined to the old traditions. Then again, marriage is an old tradition, in and of itself.

• Leah
    Frequent user April 2017 Quebec
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bride's maids were my 3 kids (6,8 and 9 years old). Two girls and my son and his groom's men were his two sons (6 and 9)

• C
    Newbie July 2017 Manitoba
    Cheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi! I am doing the same thing - no wedding party just us and my two kids.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's completely ok. It's your wedding, you can do what you want. I was only going to have 1 attendant but my mother reminded me that it's a lot to put on one person (shower, stagette, etc.) so I'm having 2. I have no idea what he's doing. LOL

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Shelby! Nice to meet you here!

I also think you should do whatever feels right to you. If that is including the boys, I would go for it. Smiley heart

How is the planning going? You already found your dream dress?

I made this week a game about the wedding planning. I think you will like it.

Your gift is on its way!

Let me know xx

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it should be whatever is most meaningful to you! We are only having 2 people each in our wedding party. My two are my best friends that I've had for almost 15 years and my FH is having his best friend and brother. I hear a lot of people say they wish they could have had a smaller wedding party because a big one can sometimes complicate things. But its all in what works best for you!
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is nothing wrong with this as some couples are now moving away from having a wedding party. I read an article about this as it is optional to have a party or not to have a party.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that's a lovely idea! We are only have 1 MOH and Best Man! That's it! Best decision ever!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that whatever you want to do for your big day that makes you happy is something you should do. I think it's nice that you're including your boys.
  • Emma
    Frequent user August 2017 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's a great idea as long as you know you want that. I think it will be a lot more intimate with your boys up there with you and your future hubby. It's becoming a bit trendy for almost to none bridal party. My future hubby and I are only having a maid of honour and a best man in the bridal party. I think it will make the ceromony more intimate and more unique to our feel for the wedding. Hope this kinda helps Smiley smile
  • Katherine
    Frequent user August 2017 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If that is what you want I'm sure it will be lovely and meaningful

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics