Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Newbie July 2022 Saskatchewan

New here!

Jennifer, on October 30, 2017 at 10:36 Posted in Before the wedding 0 19
Hey ladies!
I'm recently engaged and so excited to be apart of a Canadian forum. Here's a couple engagement photos - and my beautiful ring, 😍 I drool over it daily.
A few questions - how long did it take you to get used to calling your fiancé your "fiancé" - I am finding I still refer to him as my boyfriend often, and friends keep correcting me.
How soon should I send out physical save the dates for a destination wedding and where's a good place to order them from?
Annnnd, Is there a destination wedding board here? I couldn't find it...
Anyways - thought I would introduce myself. Happy planning everyone!

New here! 1

New here! 2

New here! 3

19 Comments

Latest activity by Chelsea, on October 31, 2017 at 21:13
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Welcome to weddingwire and congratulations on your engagement! Love the photos and that ring! I got my save the dates from vistaprint and I think it is a great company. I went to Jamaica for my honeymoon and I got a chance to see 2 different destination weddings there and they turned out beautiful!

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've noticed this app has everything! It's great and overwhelming all at once - I went through the list and was able to cross off 16 of 113 tasks 🙈🙈
    Thank you
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! We have never been to Jamaica - so we don't really know what to expect!
    I will check out vistaprint!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Welcome and congrats! Beautiful ring and photos!

It took me about 2-4 weeks to really get used to saying fiancé.

I think you should give people as much time as possible to make plans for a destination wedding.

• Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations! I have been engaged for over a year now, it's still weird referring him as my fiancé. I just refer him by name with my friends, haha. Solves all problems Smiley smile
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations and welcome! It took me about a month of correction from my friends. I'm afraid on the wedding day I will say Fiance instead of husband! Lol
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats and welcome Jennifer!! Such cute pictures and I love your ring! Smiley heart

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi name twin! It took me a while to get used to calling him fiancé as well. I still from time to time will call him boyfriend lol When i wanted his attention I would call out boyfriend really loudly. He didn't like that much after we got engaged so now I just call him boy lol

As for save the dates, we just sent ours out at the beginning of October and get married next June. Most of our guests are traveling to us so it's a destination wedding for them (7 + hours). I would do it at least 8-10 months before the wedding to give them ample time to book time off, plane tickets, hotels, etc.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello Jennifer, Welcome and congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy being part of our forum. I know that I have, and even though we got married in September, I still like engaging with all the ladies. It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the term "fiancé" instead of boyfriend. I love your photos and your ring is gorgeous! I think you have to give people lots of notice for a destination wedding because many will have to budget for the expense of travelling. I would say give them 9 or 10 months for "save the date" information and send the invites about 4 months before the wedding asking for RSVP's within a month so you have 3 months left to notify the venue of the number of guests.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Welcome!! And congrats on your engagement

1) it took me until just about my wedding day to call my husband "fiance", and I've barely gotten used to "husband" now

2) Save the Dates generally go out between 6 and 8 months before the wedding, but can go out up to a year in advance if travel is required. I wouldn't send them any earlier for fear of people losing them.

3) If you'd like to talk about destination weddings you can find some of the other destination brides and grooms here https://www.weddingwire.ca/forums/whats-your-wedding-style-destination-or-domestic--t7103

And there are lots of articles that can help you plan too. Where is your destination?

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on your recent engagement. You came to the right site to plan your wedding. Its got everything you'll need from, seating charts, budgets, to do lists, its got it all! Let us know if you need any help!

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Welcome, congratulations, and beautiful pictures!! It took me a few weeks to have fiancé roll off my tongue when talking with people, but not to worry you wil get there!! We did paperless post for our Save the Dates, but if you want physical ones, Vista Print all the way! We sent ours out 6 months before the wedding, but we were getting married 7 months after the engagement. As long as people get a good advance notice to plan abd book time off, you should be ok.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow that's going to be amazing!!
    Well that's good that your guests have the information at least! But yeah if you're not happy with the ones the travel agent sent out I would definitely send out some you like. Vista Print has nice options at a good price if you haven't checked them out yet. Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My sister and brother in-law got married there and it was the best time!! You're gonna have such a great experience. As for save the dates vistaprint.com is a good option! and it's so easy to find coupon codes for discounts. I still feel weird saying fiancé LOL.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I love them too!
    We are getting married in Ochos Rios, Jamaica.
    I'm a huge planner too! Our travel agent sent out save the dates - but it was more of an informative email - which I personally wasn't impressed with as I thought it looked bad, but we were told it had to be sent out right after we booked so everyone could put down their deposits. I wanted to send out physical ones first, but we were given all of 3 days to make a decision (if we wanted the group travel discount for our guests) so we dealt with it.
    So our guests have received something - but I would like to send another, that is more formal.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL who knows

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks!
    6 months hey! I wonder how long it takes to get used to calling them a husband!
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Beautiful photos! And your ring is definitely gorgeous.Welcome and congrats on your engagement!!

Where are you getting married?

We did not send out save the dates so I'm not sure how it works but I think i would send them out as soon as possible. I know if I was a guest i would want to know early so I can save and plan as much as I can. But I am a definite over-planner so maybe that's just me haha.

My husband and I never called each other fiancé/fiancée because we both thought the word sounded snooty lol. So I just called him my boyfriend or husband. I have no problem with other people using the word of course, but for us I don't know, we both just felt weird using the word which I know is probably ridiculous haha.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Welcome! Love the pics.

It took me about 6 months to get used to calling my fiance my fiance, still it slips out, boyfriend is so much easier to say for some reason haha

I used paperlesspost.com for my save the dates, not doing a destination wedding so can't answer any of the other questions. Enjoy the planning Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics