Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Newbie November 2020 California

Name change during covid

Kathleena, on June 7, 2020 at 21:48 Posted in WeddingWire 0 3

How has anyone who changed their name down it during lockdown or did you? I am considering whether or not to change mine and afraid that I will change social then boom 2nd wave lockdown and can't go in person to do dmv, bank etc. Then I will be half one name and half another and not fully legally exist as either. Can I put it as new name on license then postpone changing it as long as needed (until there's a vaccine so they can't lock us up and refuse to provide services for months on end again)?

Is there any real reason other than personal preference to change it in this day and age? It just sounds like an unnecessary paperwork night mare(major inconvenience) especially right now. It's not that big of deal to have kids with a different last name than you anymore is it? and I can still name my kids with their dads name then call us all by same when referring to the collective group even if I never legally took his name?

Thoughts on if it's worth it or (was/will be) even possible during lockdown? I'm in Sac, Ca. and things are opening back up again but I don't trust than they will stay open so I feel rushed.

3 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on June 9, 2020 at 17:51
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know tons of girls who havent changed their name and they have been married years. but its up to you. you can go out one morning early and go to your government place where you change they have to mail you documents anyways so you can get started on it now

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I changed most of my documents before Covid-19, some were done during this Pandemic. All of the places I needed to change my name just did things over the phone and by faxing them our documents. I will say that I did however get my drivers license done before the pandemic - so that one I got a new picture for my license.... but I'm sure they would have been fine with me sending them in a new picture or just issuing it with my most recent photo that they had on my license.

(Got married in October 2019 - but didn't get our marriage certificate until around February 2020.)

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As for children, my FH and I have children and they have his last name. It doesn't matter if you change yours. I personally want to change my last name once we are married.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics