Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katelyn
Super October 2019 Ontario

My Jack and Jill

Katelyn, on July 8, 2019 at 07:32 Posted in Before the wedding 0 15
Guys I'm devastated. I put $1500 into my jack and jill. And because the day before it said it was going to thunderstorm (it didnt) only 9 people showed up other than the people who came to help. In total we made about $460. My parents and grandparents feel so awful and are donating $500 each but my heart is broken. I don't know what to do about this.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Katelyn, on July 9, 2019 at 12:41
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Actually it was an alcohol free event. It was just cases of pop and water. So we are just going to return them. No biggie. I'm excited about the raffle just have to look into the laws for it first.
  • Lindsay
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this! My brother and his wife made a boat load of money by raffling off a cooler full of booze. Could you take some of the alcohol you were going to return and turn it into a prize? I'm thinking of doing this and just selling tickets through the bridal party and e-transfers and then doing a Facebook live to draw the winner.

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah we have really felt the love from our families. I'm feeling much better about it now.
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. Yeah there is a lot of beverages we are going to return. So hopefully that helps a bit.
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for the love and support. I'm feeling a lot better now.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aw Katelyn, I am so sorry to hear about this. We didn't do a Jack and Jill, but I am the type who gets extremely disappointed when someone doesn't show up to an event, so I understand the feeling.

The silver-lining to this is that your grandparents and parents generousity is helping you and your FH break even at least.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear that! There was about 25 people that said they would come to our social back in June that didn't show up. So we didn't make as much as we had hoped (just a couple hundred after covering the expenses) and that was just because we returned the unused alcohol. I think the online 50/50 is a good idea.

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's really more than I'm able to take on at the moment. We are going to try and do an online 50/50. That's the best I can manage.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well *insert curse word here*....

What about ticket sales? I know most of our ticket sales made a huge portion of the money - would there be any way of putting together another last minute one? If your rent a community centre ($500) that has room for 300 people - then at $10 a ticket you get $2,500 profit from tickets alone?

I know it's only 88 days left but would it be at all possible? I know my Wedding Social was mostly put together in a matter of 2 months so it's not completely crazy to try again but make sure you sell tickets prior to the day of (here in MB it's illegal to sell at the door).

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No it was $460 total. We had a loss of over $1000. We are going to do an online 50/50 now to try and recoup our losses.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness - I am so sorry to hear that!! At least you came out with something though right? That's $460 profit?

Is there any way you could advertise that there will be games or raffles at your wedding? Perhaps you could at very least do a 50/50 at the wedding? As a guest I know it's not normal to do one at the wedding but would still pay to do it!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am so sorry to hear! At this point because how much you put in and it was an outdoor based jack & jill. There isn't much you can do. Sometimes these things happen. We had ours indoor and can't give much advice on it. Were you depending on the money for the wedding? Did you sell tickets prior to the event ? This helped us out a lot.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m so sorry girl. Keep your head up. Unfortunately these things happen. Look forward to your big day and try to focus on the positives!
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've already had my shower. Wedding is in 88 days. I'm just at a loss.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh that’s terrible, I’m so sorry!

Im not having a jack and Jill so I don’t have any advice really about that.

Are you having a bridal shower? You may be able to recoup some cost there and get some extra money, especially if you don’t end up doing a registry.

dont let this one experience bring you down.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics