Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bern
Newbie June 2022 Ontario

My church does not fit the guests we wish to invited. Solutions?

Bern, on February 2, 2021 at 16:47 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 9
Planning a June 2022 wedding. My church’s capacity is 100. It is the church I grew up in and I would like to get married in it. Our guest list is 150. Our family alone is 100!

What can we do? It is hard to cut 50 people. Would it be impolite if we live-streamed the ceremony to the hall next door for those who arrive later and can’t fit in the church?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on February 5, 2021 at 15:18
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would keep the numbers in the church small, maybe immediate family only, and I like the option of having a livestreamed overflow option.

The more exclusive you make the list of people in the church the easier it will be to explain to anyone who asks why they aren't on that list. We did this with our whole wedding this year and it was so much easier to tell my aunts and uncles that "because not all of our immediate family can be there we are only having our wedding party and immediate family attend" (I had an uncle who was quite upset until my mom explained that my husband's parents weren't there so it wasn't fair to have a huge party without them).
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I would go with just family for ceremony. I'm sure people would understand if a church had sentimental attachment for you and there just wasn't enough room. I would go to a reception if I was not able to go to the ceremony.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The church capacity should be the guest list invited than what your planning to do for the other guests not present. The reception can have the rest of the uninvited guests present there for the celebrations. You do have the right idea of live streaming though its not the same as being present in the room itself. Its best to ask your videographer about setting up zoom for your guests at home to watch the ceremony.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agreed. I know I’m in the minority but I don’t find other people’s ceremonies all that exciting lol. If I knew I wasn’t even in the same room as the couple but I still had to travel to a location I probably wouldn’t go. The exception to this would be a zoom wedding or something where I can’t attend due to the pandemic or other extraordinary situations.
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What I mean by that, is you might invite 150, but a lot of those people won’t attend the ceremony. That being said, it’s absolutely not a guarantee. I personally wouldn’t want to attend the ceremony if I was asked to sit next door and watch the live stream. So, you might have to cut your guest list down to 100.
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To be honest, more people don’t go to the ceremony if it’s at a separate location...
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I third the idea of trying to keep it under 100 people. If you're using a videographer with day-of-edit services, show a ceremony highlight at the reception instead.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree that I would just try to keep it under 100 if I wasn't willing to compromise on the venue.

But if you absolutely can't, I would do a family only ceremony - no exceptions - and then have the full guest list for the reception. If you explain it's due to venue capacity and it's family only I think friends will understand. But you have to be firm in that distinction and not make any exceptions if you don't want much backlash.

Or I guess you could do what you suggested. People probably won't be happy about it but it's your wedding so do you.

• Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think your options are kind of limited if you are dead set on getting married there. Are you planning on using the hall next door for the reception? I personally think it's a little tacky if I had to go next door and watch the wedding from a livestream there, but that's my thought.

If you could get the guest count under 100, that would probably be best.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics