Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Newbie May 2020 Ontario

Muslim/Christian ceremony

Wendy, on February 20, 2019 at 12:08 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 12
Hello everyone,
i am catholic and my fiancée is Muslim. I want to get married in a church(we will also be doing a Muslim ceremony) but I’m trying to find a church that will marry us without the comittment of being part of their congregation! Any ideas? Anyone been in this situation or are in this situation?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Tamara, on February 6, 2023 at 13:13
  • T
    Newbie October 2023 Ontario
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Cindy, I am from Mississauga and would like to ask which church allowed your marriage as I am in the same situation, and would also like a new place to call home, as my orthodox church refuses to marry us Smiley sad Please help.

With Love,

Tamara

• Angela
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel your struggle! My FH is Muslim as well and my church would not marry us even though we both wanted to get married the "traditional way". We're instead getting married in a beautiful outdoor setting - still looking for a minister or officiant.

• W
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Wendy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Getting married in Ottawa
  • W
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Wendy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So annoying!
  • Esaba
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Esaba ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Same situation as you omg!! My fiancé is Catholic and I'm Muslim and we are struggling to find a priest and Imam who will do the religious part without the whole converting aspect. Interfaith Smiley smile

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Wendy! I married a non-Catholic in a Catholic church, they had no problem with it. This will vary church to church and even priest to priest, so keep calling around and don't give up!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Look into churches and give them a call to find out if they would accept to marry you two. Most should be accommodating to all backgrounds these days.

Civil marriage can also work in a hall you can rent out to get married that way.

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What city do you plan on getting married. I'm getting married at a Catholic Church in Mississauga. Out of the 5 couples, 4 were interfaith. I belong to the church but I'm not sure if the other couples do.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In the spirit of "God is everywhere", can you find a minister instead of a church and have the ceremony at a non church venue?

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If there’s one in your area, check out a Unitarian or Unitarian Universalist church.
    Typically they charge a little more for non-members, but are completely open to working with you to have your interfaith church wedding come to life. Smiley smile
  • W
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Wendy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Started googling a few places and asking for info. But agree thank youSmiley smile
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All that I've heard is that some churches are more lax on it than others. Google has shown me that in some churches they have come up with "guidelines" that must be followed but that they will allow the marriage. The "rules" if you will, are that the catholic remains loyal to the church and that the children are to be baptized and brought up in the catholic church.

I'm sure there has to be some that are willing though! It's not like you are giving up your religion right? You are just believing in what you do, and they are believing in what they do!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics