Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Newbie September 2022 Ontario

Music

Megan, on November 19, 2021 at 12:38 Posted in Wedding reception 1 8
How did everyone pick what kind of music you wanted during your reception? Meaning like for cocktail hour, during dinner??

We are having a rustic wedding in the fall of 22

8 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on December 7, 2021 at 11:24
  • S
    Frequent user October 2024 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Megan. Personally I think it should be music that both you and your fiancée want to hear for your special day!

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Haven't really thought about the music during dinner but the music for our cocktail hour will be comprised of singers and bands my FH and I have seen in concert together Smiley smile We may omit some of the "louder" bands, but will still have a great mix/variety of tunes

• Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As mentioned, most good DJs can read the room and tell what type of music the crowd will like. I'd get them an idea of the type of music you like and your do not play list.

If you are going with a company I'd be careful, some companies just hire teens and college kids for the wedding season.
    I have friends who did djing for bulk hire companies that enjoyed what they did and took it seriously while employed. I've also been in a wedding party where the DJ that was provided only played the music they felt like and told the best man this is what I like. The music was all 2010- present top 40; the bride and groom requested alternative, indie and golden oldies.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I personally would give the DJ a few songs (like three per genre of choice) and let them figure out the rest.

• M
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds great! We will most definitely be staying far away from the top 40 as well!
  • M
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have a DJ so hopefully he can help us out! We are lost with music!

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went with what we knew the majority of our guests liked and definitely us! A big mix. It was awesome. Your DJ, if you have one, should be able to read the room too.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on the vibe you want to go for. We were in a country club so we asked for jazz and coffee house music during cocktail hour and then 80s/90s slow jams/R&B for dinner. We didn't want something loud where people would have to yell over each other just to talk. We also avoided current Top 40 because we didn't want our wedding to feel like a prom.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics