Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie October 2019 Ontario

Moving Countries

Anna, on September 7, 2019 at 01:43 Posted in Living together 0 5

So I am relocating to Ireland be with my fiance once we get married. Anyone have any tips/experience/stories on downsizing/moving abroad/decluttering? We will have a very small place there!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Geneviève, on November 7, 2019 at 17:01
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you priced out how much it will cost to move? When I relocated to the UK for a while, I couldn’t afford to relocate my stuff so I lived out of two checked bags for a while (good thing cause I moved back lol)
    Definitely declutter with yard sales, donate to value village/goodwill. Some also take furniture too if you’re not able to sell it. Certain things you won’t be able to take with you like most electronics. Basically just take what you need/are really attached to. Price it out and find out what your fiancé already has then go from there.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow, that's so exciting!!

I think the biggest downsizing tip is to be realistic when you're doing the closet purge. Will you every wear it again? Does it fit you? Is it something that suites your new location (climate)?

Make 3 piles: Keep, donate/sell, and unsure. After a week, go through the unsure pile again with fresh eyes and decide.

I've sold TONS of stuff on kijiji/facebook marketplace. I post the add on both to get more traffic. Ikea items sell like hotcakes, just make sure you put "IKEA" in the title, and maybe the product's name if you can find it.

Price stuff to sell. when I want to just get things out of my house, I put the price pretty low so people are enticed to take it off my hands.

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey there, Anna!

That's wonderful news! What part of Ireland will you be moving to? I'm Irish Smiley smile

As the PPs mentioned, a garden sale is a great idea to get rid of any small items of furniture, possession etc that you don't need to bring with you.

Have you found a good shipping company for sending your stuff over? This would definitely be worth looking in to!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Although I didn’t downsize when I moved, I did do a lot of decluttering. It was hard to get rid of some stuff, but It gave me the opportunity for a fresh start with new stuff.
    So take stuff that you use all the time, has some value to you, or that you really can’t be without.
    Keep in mind if you are holding onto decor items your new place will be completely different so you may not like how it looks once you move.
    Could you put some stuff into storage and maybe get after the move to see if it fits once you have all the important things in your new place.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A garage sale to sell the small ticket items would be idle as to posting on kijiji site for home furniture and home decor. Sorting through the closets to see what you will want to keep as its worn often and every day wear too.

Your space will be tight and compact to know its light packing in a way the way you need to travel too. Take the size of your home and cut it down to 1/4 of the space marking a square or rectangle to know what will fit within that area to take. Keep any home items you will want to keep for your new home small though so its packable with a fragile sticker put on it at the airport. This way you have the choice to replace anything you want for what is needed based on size and item.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics