Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

More People vs Dancing

Hank, on July 13, 2021 at 15:35 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

In Ontario, you're only allowed 25% capacity of an indoor space if you're having a dance party while you can go up to 50% if you choose to forego a dance. For those in this situation, what would you choose? To have a dance party or be able to double your guest count?

For me, it's a no brainer. I pick more guests > dancing. I can find other ways to have fun.

*Not sure if it's applicable to other provinces since Ontario's rules seem to be more strict than elsewhere (except maybe BC - something about tents being considered an indoor space?)

9 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on July 22, 2021 at 21:46
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That seems fair. For us, the majority of guests if we kept it at 25% would be older crowd not into dancing so I figured might as well bring in more friends that I haven't seen in over a year and hang out.

• Dannielle
    Newbie October 2021 Ontario
    Dannielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

October 9th bride! For us, we are choosing dancing over more guests. We began replanning with the assumption Ontario would be still using the colour-coded framework and aimed for 50 people indoors. Luckily, that also happens to be our venue's 25% capacity limit to include dancing. As much as I'd like to invite more of our OG list, we'd need the rules to relax sooner to send out invites and get back rsvps before my vendors' deadline of September 9 for final numbers and payment. And the next people on our list don't live close, so it'd be short notice for many and an addition $10K for us to provide seating, food and drink. Aside from the open bar, dancing just seems like the most cost effective way to entertain people.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lmao someone did have an illegal nightclub a few months ago. Some guy was throwing "parties" in his penthouse during the winter when all social gatherings were banned. It was wild. I guess he had POS machines and was charging cover and stuff. And then he tried to sue the police for entering his property without cause or something when it was very obvious he was throwing an illegal party Smiley ups Even the concierge in his building apparently called the police on him hahaha. He's a real piece of work.

But yeah I honestly have no idea what's going on with the rules here. Before this last step I always though the government was too slow to respond to things and often only took half measures until things were dire. But there was at least always some sort of consistency, and when there wasn't it was clear that certain things were allowed because they took greater priority. Like schools being open the whole time for example, and children being allowed to play certain sports but not adults. It was like ok this isn't necessarily consistent from a disease prevention standpoint but some things are more important than others and calculated risks can be taken to keep some things going. But now it's just like this makes absolutely no sense at all. Like there's no way a random person's house party where you could be in contact with tons of strangers is more important that people who have been putting their weddings off for a year and will be only around people they know. Especially when I know people would be willing to wear masks or reduce their guest count to have things like mingling and dancing and tons of couples are ensuring all of their guests are vaccinated. So at that point the risk is astronomically low.

I don't know enough about tents to comment on them, but all I can say is very little of what they've done lately makes sense to me.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, what's going on in BC lately? The current rules aren't even conservative. They're just...weird. Is something making the government there target weddings?

Apparently you can cram 50 people into a space designed for 50, which is basically 100% capacity (since you can have 50 people in a space or 50% capacity, whichever is greater). That to me is even weirder than the no dance rule since this makes zero sense.

And what's up with events in tents being considered an indoor event? The only reasoning I can think of is the government wanting to blanket statement all tents as indoors so people can't use fully enclosed tents during colder seasons and claim it's "outdoor" but that can be mitigated with some simple language (Ontario defines anything with at least two sides fully open to be an outdoor event).

Someone over there must have been having an illegal dance party in a nightclub or something for the government to clamp down on it.

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh interesting. I think that makes so much more sense than our approach here. The BC rules just don't make sense to me and this is coming from someone who has been very conservative and safe with my social interactions during covid lol.

I think I would be fine with masks as long as I could have mingling and dancing. Mingling is the most important aspect to me so that could potentially change my answer if I was having trouble cutting the guest list down.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have to keep a mask on even while dancing, regardless if it's indoors or outdoors so I think I'd still rather opt out of a dance party regardless. Though I can see how if people want a livelier setting, there would be an equilibrium point where they'd rather take 100 people dancing after dinner vs 200 dinner only.

As for mingling, you're allowed to do it but you have to keep a mask on if you're indoors. The activity is not affected by the dancing rule. There's no rule that says you have to remain seated so regardless if you're opting for the lower dance capacity or higher non-dance capacity, you can still interact with one another. Just have to do it in masks unless you're outside.

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Re BC’s rules: very dumb. No dancing AT ALL for indoor weddings regardless of size or capacity. So even super small 20 person weddings in large halls are no dancing. But for some unexplained reason you can have a 5000 person outdoor event, unlimited personal gatherings (so a 100 person house party is no big deal according to the government), and no capacity restrictions/no masks on high intensity indoor exercise classes.
    Lol sorry for so many messages in a row! 😄
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also I assume mingling would be included in this rule. I personally don’t see a point in having a reception without mingling but I know others have done it so that might not be a popular opinion.
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me it would depend on what the capacity was for it to be worth it. If I could have 50 people and dancing I’d take that but if it was only 25 I wouldn’t want dancing. So for me if normal capacity was 100 I would either postpone or do an elopement but if it was 200 I would have a 50 person party instead of 100 guests and just a dinner.
    I would definitely rather have a fun party with my closer guests than have all of my guests be there. But on the other end of things if I had to cut it all the way down to like immediate family only and 1 or 2 friends I wouldn’t care about it dancing. Like I’m not interested in partying hard with my parents and siblings haha. But I have extended family members and less close friends I would be fine with cutting off my list bringing my side of things from about 40 to 20 if it meant I could still have a party and my husband would hopefully be able to narrow down to like 30. Not sure my husband feels the same way but hopefully we won’t have to make that kind of decision when we have our reception eventually!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics