Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
Beginner September 2018 British Columbia

More Harry Potter Goodness

Leah, on July 15, 2018 at 14:00 Posted in DIY 1 11

Here is some more stuff from my Harry Potter wedding DIY journey. Enjoy!

Centerpiece FlowersMore Harry Potter Goodness 1

These are for the centerpieces. They are going on top of a small square vase that will have fairy lights inside. Each table will represent a different Hogwarts house. The ones here are Slytherin and Ravenclaw houses. They're not quite finished yet, I am adding some white and silver tulle to fill the gaps. You can learn how to make these origami flowers by watching youtube videos which is how I made them! I made them from origami paper from the dollar store ($3) from Harry potter paperback book pages ($1-4 each), half a styrofoam ball ($1) plastic jewels ($3) and hot glue. In total making all the centerpiece flowers (12 in total) took me about 20-30 hours. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth the effort and time.
WandsMore Harry Potter Goodness 2

These beauties are the wands! The guests will hold them up as we walk back down the aisle. I made enough of them for one of each guest so I made 80. It took me and a helper one full day to make them. I asked for chopsticks from a Chinese food place that gave me 100 pairs for free. Then you layer hot glue, beads and other items to add texture or decorations. This took us one day to make 80. Then at a later day my helper came back and we spend another eight hours painting them. It took about 100 mini sticks of hot glue, but I estimate that the wands cost in total less than a $1 each.

Bridesmaid bouquetMore Harry Potter Goodness 3

These are made in the exact same way I made the centerpiece flowers but with a whole styrofoam ball instead of a half. I hot glued two pairs of chopsticks together then made a hold in the styrofoam ball and glued my chopstick "stem" into it. Then I hot glued satin ribbon around it and added the flowers. The easiest way to get the origami flowers to stay securely in your styrofoam ball is to first hot glue flower wire "stems" about 1" to 1.5" long to the bottom. Then make a hole in your styrofoam ball for the stem with a toothpick. Fill the hole with a generous blob of hot glue and put your flower stem in the hole while the glue is still wet. With much trial and error that is the method that got me the best result. I still need to add tulle to fill in the gaps to complete the bouquets. I'm making five in total and they're all done now with the exception of adding the tulle.
Centerpiece tea light holdersMore Harry Potter Goodness 4

I didn't make these, but I bought these to hold tea lights for the center pieces. I found them at the dollar store for $3 a piece and they were too cute to pass up. At the end of the night any guest who wants one can take it home Smiley smile
Harry Potter TiesMore Harry Potter Goodness 5

I'll let you in on a little secret...if you're DIY-ing like crazy like I am, there is a site called Aliexpress that can be your best friend. It's a site where you can order wholesale goods (anything you can imagine) direct from manufacturers in China. That's where I got these ties...for $3 a piece with FREE shipping. Keep in mind they do take a very long time to arrive. Sometimes I order from there and get my items in two weeks, sometimes it takes six weeks. So if you're thinking of order craft supplies, silk bridesmaid robes ($9 each!) do it early. You'll find vendors on Etsy charging two or three times the price for the exact item you can buy on Aliexpress. Some of the items can be of dubious quality, so make sure you read the reviews.

I hope that was helpful, or just fun, for some of you! More to come later. As of this writing I am only 61 days from our wedding! Yikes!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Nicole, on July 30, 2018 at 15:30
  • Nicole
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is amazing!!! Absolutely love it!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love everything! You have done such an amazing job with your DIY!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh man this is all awesome!!!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in complete awe everything you have done and made is absolutely incredible!!! I cannot wait to see pictures from your big day with everything in place!

Please please PLEASE! Post a ton of pics!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You're a DIY goddess... seriously. I LOVE DIY... and would totally spend the time an effort to do all of this... but wow... your finished product is just awesome!

I'm going to have to step up my game! Haha.

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    These are awesome!! Well done!
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is so unreal! I cannot believe you did all this! So incredibly! Your knocking your Harry Potter theme outta this park!! Those wands! Genesis idea with the hot glue gun designs and a bonus on getting them for free!

I honestly cannot wait to see your wedding pictures!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great results from your projects. Love the colours and printed flowers.

Your theme is coming along really well.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That stuff is awesome! It’s great to see people succeeding at their DIY projects!
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Very beautiful DIY. You put a lot of details and care into everything. Smiley heart
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So creative and beautiful work Smiley smile looks amazing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics