Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Christy
Curious September 2017 British Columbia

Money tree instead of gift registry ?

Christy, on March 10, 2017 at 18:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 13
I see more brides today doing a honeymoon fund instead of a gift registry. Honestly, we would love to purchase a house in the next year or so. We need a house before we can make use of bridal gifts. In my opinion anyway.... Has anybody done a money tree instead of gifts?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Megan, on December 18, 2017 at 07:09
  • Megan
    Beginner November 2018 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiancée and I are planning Hawaii for our honeymoon. I was looking at flight center to book the trip with and they have a registry which I think we are going to do with a small registry from the bay since we’ve had our house for a few years and don’t need much.

• Sandy
    Curious May 2017 Quebec
    Sandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't do it.. If you prefer cash I would just make a small registry and people will get the hint. I just don't like the idea of asking for money. (I don't really like the idea of a registry either really, since to me it implies that we expect gifts but we really don't). The people who typically gift money, will gift money, but Honeyfunds take a percentage of it, so it's a waste of money in my opinion.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm also really adamant that people should not have to give us anything. Everyone we invited, we invited because we want them to be there to celebrate with us and we honestly don't want them to feel like they need to give a certain amount to cover their meal or drinks or whatever. I've been to a wedding where the morning after the bride and groom opened all of their cards and announced how much each person gave and they were annoyed when certain peope didn't give very much. It was only family there (not the whole wedding which would be a million times worse), but it still didn't seem right.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have mixed feelings about this too. On one hand, I don't want to suggest that people give us money because I feel awkward about it, but on the other hand, that is what we want. We're not doing a registry because we really don't need any of the traditional registry things and what we really want is to go to Hawaii on an awesome honeymoon. Still not sure what we will do, but I'm leaning towards not saying anything and then if people really want to know, they can ask and we can tell them!

• Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I thought about this for quite a while. I've never really liked it when people put something along the lines of "cash gift preferred" on their invite or website - but I totally get it. I'd prefer money too.
    I've decided to just not even do a registry and I think people will figure it out. If people ask for a registry we will likely just say that we'd appreciate money as all of the house items like new furniture are on our list, but they're expensive and beyond a reasonable for a registry lol!
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with this! Also, check out this link; goes through 'honeymood funds', 'charities', and 'house funding'.

http://www.weddingbee.com/registry-articles/unconventional-registry-ideas/

• Amy F
    Beginner September 2017 Ontario
    Amy F ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Money trees and monetary gifts are a lot more common now than gift registries! My fiancée and I already live together and pretty much have everything you would ask for in a gift registry so don't feel bad asking for money. Your guests will know it's for a good cause Smiley shame
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Christy, I have seen money trees done at weddings shown on wedding shows. There are alternatives as well such as money poems that are inserted in the invitations as a polite way to ask for money. In Manitoba, it's common to see on invitation the words "Presentation preferred" or "Presentation only" on invitations to let guests know your preference. It's up to you, but go with what is confortable and I can understand your position on this. Hope this helps.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Louise. My opinion is to never ever ever ask for money! When I see people put that on a wedding invitation I buy them a gift, that's how tacky I think it is! Hahahah
    All kidding aside though, as Louise mentioned , if you do not list a registry then it's implied a monetary gift is appreciated. Also if you discuss this with your immediate family and bridal aware that you hope for monetary gifts then as they are talking to family and friends they can drop the hint that you would prefer that instead of a gift.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not quite sure what a money tree is. I have heard of people doing a honeymoon fund insted. For us we are only doing 1 or 2 small registries because I am having 2 bridal showers. But we figure if we do just a couple small ones, the guests who prefer giving gifts can get something we actually want/need and then everyone else will likely give money which most people know we would prefer. You can always share this with your wedding party and family and if other people ask them about it, they can pass along the information of what you would prefer.

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with you all. Katherine is right though, if you say no gift registry it implies that you would like money as the gift.
    Where I live in Montreal, people usually give money to pay for their plate and a little extra for the couple starting their lives together.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have no idea what a money tree is... We have decided not to register for gifts which implies that money is the preferred gift... My sister did the same, while they did still receive some gifts 80% were money.
  • Stephanie
    Devoted September 2019 Quebec
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can relate to you. I have a nice apartment with everything we need. I dont know how to politely ask for money instead of gifts.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics