Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joanne
Beginner July 2019 Nova Scotia

Money Dance Tradition

Joanne, on January 29, 2019 at 15:32 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

Hi everyone. I'm a Filipina and one of our tradition, along with many many more, is the Money Dance. I think in some culture it's call Apron dance. It is where the quest can dance with the bride and the groom but they have to pin money on them first.

My family and friends are more than aware of this but my partner's family and friends not so much (I think). Has anyone gone through this experience? Should I even do it? Was it an awkward experience?

13 Comments

Latest activity by RayChance, on May 22, 2019 at 23:36
  • RayChance
    Ontario
    RayChance ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a must do. Provides great entertainment as guests watch to see what people will pin to you. You can always carry a stack of bills and give to people to get it started. (shhh!)

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I attended a wedding where there was a money dance and the only people up participating were the family members. I think everyone else who wasn't familiar with the tradition just chose not to participate.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your family will follow the tradition though you may make your fiancée's family aware of what may happen when it does occur. Might never know the her family only may join in and the rest can watch. This will be entertainment for your guests as some may not participate not knowing what it is cultural wise.

You can make an announcement as mentioned by some to let everyone know the money dance will take place.

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say go for it!Our DJ suggested we do a money dance 💃 I’m not comfortable with that because it’s not a tradition for either one of us.
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maybe I will do the same thing or put it in the program along with explaining the cord, veil, coin traditions.
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am wondering about the same thing...I just wasn't sure if the nonFilipinos would consider it distasteful or tacky? My FH is not much of a dancer so I'm not sure if he'd be all for it but I also thought it could be added entertainment for some people.
  • Joanne
    Joanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Everyone. I've actually included some info our website on Filipino Traditions just to give everyone a heads up Smiley smile

• Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Def do it! It’s part of your tradition!!!
    Just let your future in law in on the transition so they come prepared and it will show togetherness of them embracing you as their new daughter in law and the culture
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely think you should do it, especially if it's cultural tradition.

I would just talk with your partner's family know about the tradition - it can be as simple as describing it they way you did to us! She can also let her family/friends know about it too!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should do it!

And if you need to have a quick “Money Dance 101” session with your in-laws.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of this as brings more culture and fun to the wedding. Love Tori's idea on how to keep the flow going!

• Joanne
    Joanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ooooh I kind of like that idea where they have to pay the bride/groom to dance with the opposite. I can always tell my family to make sure they keep the flow going lol.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I've heard of something like that before - except instead of pinning the money to the bride and groom it was just simply paying the bride in order to dance with the groom and paying the groom in order to dance with the bride, not both.

I did a quick google and it says it's called a Money Dance, Dollar Dance, or Apron Dance.

IMO I think it would be fun and a great way to make some more money! Of course - don't be too discouraged if you don't get many people paying to dance with you as at most weddings you get to dance with the bride and groom for free Smiley tongue

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics