Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Newbie July 2019 Ontario

Modern Plus Size Dresses

Marisol, on December 10, 2018 at 17:38 Posted in Ontario 0 12

Hello Ladies,

I'm a plus size bride and I find that looking for a modern fitted dress is nearly impossible... I love dresses with a modern "geometrical" pattern or a bohemian chic look. I'm definitely not into the traditional type dresses or typical flowery dress... I see lots of dresses that I like but the bridal boutiques never seem to have them in a size that will actually fit me and I do not feel comfortable purchasing a dress I didn't try on first....

Could you please help suggest bridal shops that carry modern plus size bridal dresses in the Greater Toronto Area? Or maybe within an hour or two drive? I've attached a couples of samples of dresses that I like...

Dress 1Modern Plus Size Dresses 1Dress 2Modern Plus Size Dresses 2Dress 3Modern Plus Size Dresses 3Dress 4Modern Plus Size Dresses 4Dress 5Modern Plus Size Dresses 5Dress 6Modern Plus Size Dresses 6Dress 17Modern Plus Size Dresses 7Dress 8Modern Plus Size Dresses 8Dress 9Modern Plus Size Dresses 9Dress 10Modern Plus Size Dresses 10Dress 11Modern Plus Size Dresses 11Dress 12Modern Plus Size Dresses 12Dress 13Modern Plus Size Dresses 13Dress 14Modern Plus Size Dresses 14Dress 15Modern Plus Size Dresses 15Dress 16Modern Plus Size Dresses 16Dressstyle 17Modern Plus Size Dresses 17Dressstyle18Modern Plus Size Dresses 18DressstyleModern Plus Size Dresses 19Dress 19Modern Plus Size Dresses 20

Thank you,

Marisol Costa

12 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on December 14, 2018 at 11:35
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! These are all SO beautiful!

Here are my suggestions:

Sophie's Gown Shoppe advertizes plus size dresses - http://www.sophiesgownshoppe.com/locations/mississauga-store

Best for Bride - https://www.bestforbride.com/store-location-etobicoke-mississauga.php

I have been to both of these places. I LOVED Sophie's - my best friend bought her dress here - and Best for Bride is nice but didn't blow me away when I went there. Don't write it off, though! Everyone's experience is different!

Good luck and can't wait to see what you find!!

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would just call a bunch of places and ask them if they have certain designers you like in a plus size.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Marisol!! My wedding dress is from Stella York, part of Essense Designs. Stella York and Essense of Australia are two bridal brands who's motto is, Everybody. Every Body. They have plus size versions of majority of their dresses, and they are stunning!

You can look and see what salons near you carry Essense Designs . I would strongly suggest looking into it! I went into my bridal salon, and they said, "we'll be with you in a minute, you can start browsing right here if you like"... and I pulled about 8-10 dresses... every. single. one. was Essense or Stella.

• M
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Marisol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Joey,

My problem is not finding the style of dress that I like, because I found them in many bridal shops, the issue finding them in a size that I fit into. I don't feel comfortable purchasing a dress without being able to try it on first... And unfortunately its very hard to find bridal shops that carry this type of dress in a plus size. Smiley sad

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I LOVE your style! What I might do to help the search along is look for dresses and designers you like, and then find their authorized retailers in your area. Once you pick a few favs out you could always call the salons ahead of time and ask them about whether they have those available for you to try, and make appointments if they do. You might like Zuhair Murad, Pnina Tornai, Mira Zwillinger, and Grace Loves Lace, to name just a few!

There are some awesome looks in this gallery of 40 Sheer Wedding Dresses for Every Style of Bride

• M
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Marisol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Jennifer, Davids Bridal was the first shop I went to but unfortunately, I couldn't find anything modern enough for my liking. Thank you for referring Sophies's I'll be calling them today to book an appointment.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Size 16-18 here.

essence of Australia and stella York have lots of size ranges. Sophie's gown shoppe should have them in larger sizes. that is the place I tried them on in Windsor. they have that shop in Mississauga and Kitchener.

One of the photos you shared is Maggie sottero. if you go on her website. you can see what shops sell her.

I ended up purchasing from david's bridal. and they have ALL the sizes. not sure on the modern as I wasn't looking for that.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I got mine at Lisa's bridal in vancouver which isnt helpful to you (sorry!) But they did have lots of plus sized dresses to try!
  • M
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Marisol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello Tyanna, where did you buy your dress? Did they have lots of plus size dresses in store to try on?
  • M
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Marisol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually went to two shops in Hamilton that carry plus size only dresses. One only had traditional type wedding gowns, I found them too traditional and probably more suited for the more mature type of bride while the other one “Bella Mia “ had both modern and traditional. One of their dresses are on the top of my list, but I still want to see more. Smiley smile. Thank you for the suggestion!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not sure for Toronto, but I'd definitely recommend a dress by essence of Australia. They go by" every body, every bride" and have some incredible options! It's not necessarily like one you're thinking of but mine is by essence and I love that it's not your standard lace!

Modern Plus Size Dresses 21
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Size 16 here!

I prefer a modern/boho style as well.

I unexpectedly found my dress at Sash and Bustle in the east end. They have dresses and sample sizes that fit my plus size curves and I was really able to envision myself on my wedding day. I love a bunch of their designers but fell is love with a Truvelle. They’re also a WW vendor. Excellent customer service!

I’ve also heard great things about a plus size bridal gown shop in Hamilton, but I don’t know how modern/bohemian their designs are.

And David’s bridal has plus size but I found my dress before getting a chance to visit.

Also consider getting your dress made. I would recommend Hoax Couture if you go that route.

google plus size Bride toronto and see what you can find in terms of shops and designers.

good luck! Let us know what you decided on!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics