Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tunisha
Super October 2021 Ontario

Meeting the In-laws

Tunisha, on August 19, 2021 at 12:20 Posted in Before the wedding 0 15
Hello Beautiful people,

I wanted to create this post to assist in removing any stressors/stresses at this time and take a break from all the planning to reminisce on before the wedding when you and your now SO meet the in-laws.
My now fiancé had to meet my parents to ask to date me. Yes, you read correctly. My parents are a handful at times. He was aware of my parents before we started dating in 2017, as we were friends since 2011. However, as I’m the oldest and my dad is mainly old school. They took it upon themselves to do this. Hahaha. They sat down with him, send me upstairs and they spoke to him and all that stuff. Then my parents called me down and told me that my now fiancé asked to date me and what do I think… hahaha! Then we started dating.
I did not get to meet my in-laws as they are in DRC. However, we communicate over the phone via text and they are mainly French speaking and I hardly know anything in French 😭😭 But I try and we are all doing well.
What’s your story on meeting your in-laws?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on August 25, 2021 at 10:16
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow!!!!
    Yesssss, it’s so crazy work the sleep in separate room thing especially when you’re married. Hhaha

When my fiancé sleeps over, he sleeps in a separate room too. I understand it, but my fiancé did not at first.
    But it’s great that all turned out well with the in-laws.💕💕
  • Daily
    Expert August 2022 Ontario
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww you’re welcome! Well we got married so young without telling my parents and his mother. We went to the city hall in NY state that’s where my husband from. We were young and in love. Although, we were legally married, the first time I bring my husband at my parents, they made him a separate bed to sleep😂😂😂 I lived with him in the state for about 5 months and we moved back to Canada. My mother in law would come visit us in Ottawa very often before Covid. Sometimes we talk on the phone on the weekends text often. I think I talked to her more than her own son!!😂😂 I think we’ve come along way it wasn’t easy.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really is such a great thing! Smiley heart

• Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhhhhhh that’s amazing Daily! Odd so amazing when there in-laws comes around and loves you up! 😂
    Thanks for sharing your story! 🙏🏾🙂
    My parents are the same about living together before marriage.

How was it for your SO?
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yessssss! I agree, I was so happy with that! It’s amazing to be in good relationship and not having to worry.
  • Daily
    Expert August 2022 Ontario
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh I can totally relate to that. My parents are immigrant and Asians so we don’t have an open communication! If they have something to say they won’t say it right away in front of people. Far as meeting my mother in law for the first time was 2013 when he kicked out my now husband but she did not think he was going to move out. But he did and I was helping him move. When we were at my house she won’t let me come inside her house!!! But I think the same day after my boyfriend talked to her she cried and hashed things out. She said I don’t believe in sleeping together before marriage ( Sam’s as my Asian parents). But I wasn’t going to sleep at her house! Long story short she comes around. Now she’s calling me her daughter and saying my daughter is just like me (MIL). My son picked the right one 😂😂😂
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm glad your MIL came around!! It's so much better having good relationships with the inlaws
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohhhhhhh yes!! You did!!

At first my MIL didn’t really like me, as my fiancé is her favourite child and I didn’t speak French. But we’re doing good now; she loves me up and I’m happy with that! Hahaha!
    My parents love my fiancé and I’m happy work that even more. Hahaha!!
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello Kara 👋🏾
    First off, Sorry for your loss 💐. But wow, that’s so amazing that his dad will be walking you down the aisle. That is really sweet! I love that you have a relationship with the dad. I really hope that the MIL relationship will blossom with this marriage between you and your SO. We all hope that have that gracious in-laws vibes.

Thanks so much for sharing! 💕
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know my SO’s dad very well and have for many years. He and my mom had been friends since their teens. They reconnected about 15 years back and are very close , so I knew him before I knew my SO. His parents are divorced.

His mom- I met her once at his sisters wedding (prior to us dating) but we didn’t talk much. We were dating about 5 months when I finally “met” her at a family bbq for her birthday. It was just the children, so very low key and informal. Everything went ok I guess… we got to know eachother a little bit. We would make it a point to visit atleast once a month just for dinner or coffee.
    She is very pleasant towards me and has never treated me with any disrespect- but I don’t feel she likes me. Which is okay. My SO and his mom are not the closest, but have a respectable relationship. I would like for us to grow closer, but, I can handle pleasant if that’s all that will be. His dad on the other hand- he loves me like I am his own, and will be walking me down the aisle for our wedding, as my dad passed away last year. We have a great relationship.
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I definitely feel like I won the in law jackpot!
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my goodness!
    That’s a pretty sweet thing for your MIL to say and it’s so great when we are all on good terms with the in-laws. I love this story! Thanks for sharing Liberty!! 💕
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awwwwww, that’s amazing!!!! It’s really great when things turns out so well and you’re able to have a great relationship with the in-laws.
    Thanks for sharing Amanda!! 💕
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met my Fiancés mom on his birthday a few months after we started dating. They were doing a pizza night at his moms (where he lived aswell) she decided to make the pizza herself instead of ordering it. She slightly burnt the pizza but I still ate it, as I was raised when you go to someone's house you eat what they provide and I didn't think it was that burnt. I later found out my FMIL told my Fiancé that she knew I was a keeper when I ate the burnt pizza. I love his mom so much and I'm so glad to have her in my life!

I met his dad/step mom on our first Christmas together (about 6 months into dating) His dad lives 3 hours away and we hasn't really discussed if I was going with him or not. It was Christmas morning around 10am and we decided I was going with him to meet his family. I met his dad, step mom, grandma, step grandpa, uncle/aunt and their kids on Christmas day. His family had presents for me even though they didn't know I was coming and I thought that was really special that they thought of me without having met me!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My now fiance met my parents about a month after we started dating. I used to play AA Fastball for a team in Edmonton as well as Team Alberta. It just so happened that I had a tournament one weekend and he came out to watch me play since he only ever watched Baseball and not Fastball before. And of course my parents where there to cheer me on. It was a great weekend and from then on my parents and him where at ever other game after that!

I met my now fiance's parents about a month after he met my parents. My fiance's mom and step dad has a lake house, so we went out there for one weekend. It was probably the best first meeting with a parent that I've ever had before! My fiance and his dad weren't really close because of who he was dating at that time so I didn't meet him for about a year into us dating. But since then his dad met this amazing women who he married almost 2 years ago now and their relationship has been amazing. To see the love that they have for each other just because of a new person in his dad's life and the relationship between the two of them and also the three of us has been amazing as well Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics