Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Newbie July 2022 Puntarenas

mc for wedding

Brandon Lapointe, on February 25, 2021 at 11:55 Posted in Wedding reception 0 8
Hey friends! We’re in the midst of planning our wedding. We plan to hire a DJ and then separately hire a friend to MC. I was wondering if anyone has “hired” a friend for a position like this— with pay? My friend keeps insisting money isn’t necessary. But I’d like to do something. I have no idea what an actual MC from a company would cost so I don’t have much to go buy. What’s too much? What’s not enough?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on February 26, 2021 at 02:57
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on how extensive you want your emcee duties to be. If it's just announcing the bridal party into the venue, that's not much of a biggie. But if you want him to act as host for the entire event all evening (announcing the dance, announcing each speech, announcing games and other events, engaging the crowd, starting the dance floor - all while keeping time and making sure things run properly), then I would pay him or gift him something really nice, especially if he's giving a gift in return for your wedding. If he's involved throughout the whole night, he's no longer just a guest but an active vendor.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our MCs are two good friends. I've never heard of hired MCs or paying a first to do this? We consider them an extension of the wedding party so we will be giving them a little thoughtful gift as a thank you...
  • Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My brother-in-law had a friend MC his wedding and they didn't pay him in cash but did buy him a gift, I think perhaps a nice bottle of scotch? I don't think either are necessary, but a gift is always a nice "thank-you" gesture.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Early on we weren't planning on having bridesmaids or groomsmen, so we were asking friends to have little jobs. We asked 2 to co-emcee so that it would be a smaller job and they could each have a chance to enjoy the party. Our plans changed with covid, and we didn't end up fulfilling their duties so I don't know how it would have gone!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am planning on asking my auntie to MC, she has experience public speaking and is hilarious! I would not be paying her but will definitely be getting her some sort of thank you gift. Not sure what though!
  • B
    Brandon Lapointe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ok that’s helpful! This friend isn’t in the wedding party, he is married to one of my bridesmaids, but he is not necessarily a close friend to my husband and I, we just think he would be great at it!
  • Sara
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One of our groomsmen is MCing our wedding! Honestly, I've never really heard of "hiring" someone to MC, I've always kind of seen it as a position of honour that a friend, family member, or someone from the wedding party takes. I think that it's more of a favor that a close friend does as a wedding gift to you. You can, of course, put together a nice gift for him/her to thank them, but personally, I don't think payment is necessary.

• B
    Brandon Lapointe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To go by**** wooops lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics