Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cassie
Frequent user September 2020 Ontario

May 23 Wedding and covid

Cassie, on March 23, 2020 at 20:08

Posted in Before the wedding 49

I’m getting married May 23 of this year in Ontario. I have no idea if I need to postpone it because it’s far enough away that things may calm down by then but close enough to not really know. My shower is April 26 and my bachelorette is May 8 weekend. The problem is I don’t know if I want to...
I’m getting married May 23 of this year in Ontario. I have no idea if I need to postpone it because it’s far enough away that things may calm down by then but close enough to not really know. My shower is April 26 and my bachelorette is May 8 weekend. The problem is I don’t know if I want to sacrifice the full bride experience of missing all of those exciting parties leading up to the day even if the wedding does still happen. I’m so confused. Who else is on this day and what are you choosing to do? Or anyone near my date?

49 Comments

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hear you! We’re not selfish we just want the same experience all the other brides got-why don’t we deserve it? Yeah I’ll be waiting until mid April to see because my shower is supposed to be April 26 and my bachelorette May 8 weekend. Not travelling for either so I’ll see what everything looks like around then. I always hope I’ll wake up the next day and everything was a dream or that things are so much better. Wishful thinking!
  • K
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Kendell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I for sure understand your struggle. You want to be able to enjoy all those experiences without sounding like a spoiled bride. As soon as you mention how yours disappointed your wedding things or bridal shower get cancelled you're immediately labeled a selfish bride and told how there is a pandemic going on. Like yes. We get it we are all dealing with it but the day tou have been looking so forward to is getting ruined. I sadly canceled my bridal shower and the bachelorette is planned for may 2 sooo it's a waiting game...

I have been fighting with family and friends and our venue for our wedding. Our date is may 30 and our venue is being basically a nightmare and wanting to charge us more for any date we choose to reschedule too. I have guests saying they cant come because they are scared to get sick but getting upset with me when I say I probably cant change the date. It has become a nightmare and I just want it to be over so I dont have to deal with people anymore.
    Having your bridal shower right before the wedding would work great and your bachlorette party can be squeezed in too. I would wait as long as you can so you can get those bridal experiences.
  • Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I couldn’t agree more!! It’s tough for me because I’m not really travelling for anything other than the honeymoon and none of my guests are too, they are all local, so that’s not really restricting me, it’s if we’re allowed to see each other for the parties yet. I figured I’d wait until mid April to see what the status is and take it from there. We shouldn’t sacrifice things that make us a bride. Men don’t understand haha but I do! You deserve to have the full exciting experience!!
  • Sammi0723
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Sammi0723 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is May 23rd as well. We cancelled everything but our wedding date as of now. We had planned my Bachelorette and his Bachelor party for the April 24th weekend, but he was to go to Portland, Organ and I, Vancouver, BC. With everyone travelling we just decided its not worth risking it. All our people got a credit for their flights. We have decided we will all plan a trip later in the year and make it a girls trip.

The wedding, we are waiting closer to the end of April to see if it gets better or not. All but 2 of our bridal party are traveling, some from Vancouver, some from Toronto, and some from Edmonton. So we don't really have an option. If its not good, we will still get married on the 23rd with just his parents, my grandparents live in BC and wouldn't be able to come =( and find a date later in the year to have the reception.

Its honestly so awful to think about. Its hard to be "ok" with just getting married and that should be enough for us? my fiance doesn't really understand it. Thinks i should just be happy getting married and not having anything else. As some have already said, it feels like i'm being robbed. Others could have their day the way they want without restrictions? so why cant i? Its frustrating.

I hope this all clears up soon! and everyone will be able to have the day they all deserve!

All the best!

• Agnes
    Newbie May 2022 Ontario
    Agnes ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding date is also May 23. We are working on our plan B right now just in case. Obviously this isn't going to be ideal, but we are considering having the bridal shower after the wedding as I don't want to miss out on that either. The bachelorette party was already only going to be me and my bridesmaids on a chill sleepover so that *hopefully* won't be affected. As for the wedding, a lot of our guests are elderly and/or from the USA, so we are thinking of doing a very small wedding (20 people or so), and then next year on our anniversary doing it over again with everyone who was supposed to come. Haven't decided if we will re-do the ceremony or watch the wedding video instead, I guess it will depend if the videographers can still make it, which so far is a yes. Things are changing day by day so there's really no telling what it will be like by May, we're just hoping for the best.

• Jessica
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ugh that sucks! The waiting game of wondering if your wedding is going to happen is horrible.

I think we are likely to reschedule. The more we talk about it the more we get excited to have our wedding back and be able to celebrate the way we wanted to.

GOOD LUCK!

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    For sure! It’s good you have a back up date. I unfortunately am not allowed to have a back up date with the venue until my date is impacted. It is causing a lot of stress having to wait. I will decide mid April! But yes. Exactly, we deserve the lead up to be everything a bride deserves and we have been robbed 100%! I may look at September as well.
  • Jessica
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am having the same dilemma. We are supposed to get married on May 30 in Niagara. We've been going back and forth with our vendors the last couple days and have set-up a backup date for Sept 4! I'm struggling with a few things - even if we could have the wedding on the 30th do we want to rush to have my shower and bachlorette in May when/if things are all clear (they were previously planned for march and april and have been cancelled). At this point, rescheduling seems like a more positive option to be able to enjoy the lead up to the wedding because at this point the "2 month away" excitement has kinda of been taken away and I'm worried about people coming to the wedding out of obligation and being concerned about how safe it is.

• D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are due to have our wedding june 21st. We postponed our wedding until next year. We are still doing a small legal ceremony with us and two friends. But canceled everything else until next year.
  • Kara
    Newbie August 2024 British Columbia
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We cancelled our wedding and picked a new date. Unfortunately nothing was working for within this year and we ended up pushing it back a whole year to May 29th next year.
  • Sheharzad
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Sheharzad ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey, our wedding was supposed to be on May 30th but we have decided to postpone till September. Going back and forth between postponing or not postponing was just too stressful. Also, my brother lives in Florida and I doubt that he'd be able to make it. We are still getting legally married on May 30th with just our parents. This whole situation just sucks and it was difficult coming to terms with it but I am no longer stressing to the point that I can't function.

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    True enough. No one is really travelling-Montreal is the furthest people are coming from. My parties aren’t cancelled yet because it’s end of April and beginning of May, so I’m waiting to see. But we will see
  • Beatriz
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was getting married May 9 and last week we decided to postpone. We were not planning on having any kind of showers. It was hard to make that decision and chose to postpone until Nov. Really hoping that things settle by then but nobody really knows. The stress of not knowing was killing me. I think mentally for me would have been much worse if we had been force to cancel so close to the date. At least I was able to reach my vendors and reschedule most of them.
    Even though a lot of people had RSVP yes, about 20 would had to cancel due to border closures and visas suspensions, the rest of our guest including in our wedding party would be too risky or are in a field with direct exposure. It seemed to me like a recipe for disaster. I think that it really depends on your situation.
  • Miranda
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just called, our office is open! Come hell or high water we will be married lol
  • Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think all offices to get that are closed right now so I don’t think we can even do that. Smiley sad
  • Miranda
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same boat, our day is supposed to be May 30th. I think I'm going to try to get our marriage license today so that if things are still bad and everything is closed we can still get married on our day. My son is our officiant and he got his package last week
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same girl... same 😓

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics