Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Devoted October 2019 Ontario

Marriage license

Amanda, on May 17, 2019 at 07:13 Posted in Ontario 0 18
I was wide awake at 5am so I decided to look up the cost of marriage licenses, wow do they vary huge. Kitchener at $154 to Zorra at $90. Just for fun I looked at Niagara Falls they are $125, Coolingwood $130, Woodstock $115, Guelph $145, Shelburne $110, Wasaga Beach $125. I find it so silly that municipalities can charge different rates but oh well. I'm in Kitchener and looks like I may be going for a drive. The places I looked up are places I know I frequent in the summer so I really am not going out of my way.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on September 4, 2019 at 16:39
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I KNOW, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? I was BESIDE myself when I found out... What a money grab...

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You just search each municipalities website, it's long and boring work.
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Would you mind sharing how you found the prices? I can’t seem to find them when I look in my area (Ottawa, Champlain, hawkesbury, ect)

thank you!
  • A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes the marriage license is good for all of ontario, but why pay $156 (in kitchener) when I know I can drive 30 minutes and pay $125 for the same pemiece of paper. The whole point of this was to inform brides that each municipalities charge different rates. I know there are some money conscious brides out there.
  • Sondra
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Sondra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's hilarious because on the Peterborough website is actually states they are good for all of Ontario, so why wouldn't you hunt out the best price within a reasonable distance from you?

• Chere-Lee
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When we met with our officiant for the first time she warned us of the different costs of the license. I live in Hamilton, Ontario and no matter which way you go (ie. Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Toronto etc.) there is a different cost in each City. Which is kind of humorous really because no matter where you go, it's the same license.

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was shocked when I saw the difference. I will be driving about 45 mins away to pick mine up, but I will do it on my way to visit a friend as well.
  • A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I checked there too seeing as I go that way often.
  • Tiffany
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had no idea there was such a big different in price everywhere. I am doing some research of my own now and making my FH drive to wherever is cheaper!! Save wherever you can...right?

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ontario loves to take money from it's people every chance they get. Lol
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmm, that's odd. In BC, they charge $100 no matter where you live in the province.

• Tonya
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yep, you would think that they should be all the same price! I am in Woodstock,but don’t mind take a long lazy drive if it’s a beautiful day! Lol
  • Amber
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow we just got ours and I didn’t realize the price differed! We paid $140 in Toronto!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's so bizarre how different municipalities charge differently for the same piece of paper! Where we live - Thunder Bay - it's $125 compared to my hometown - London - at $135.

Definitely getting it in TBay and saving $10 lol!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When it came to marriage license, I did the same and wow what a difference it makes within each municipality. The north is around that range yet higher plus taxes on top. Check out for that part too if the city charges too. we ended up paying $100 flat at the time we got married and that was the least amount from was shocking in the country area I live in.

It is crazy expensive in some areas how much they want to charge as your mentioning.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also didn't realize there would be a difference, its the same piece of paper lol. $125 is reasonable, I think $154 is a bit much!

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Funny I checked there too. But yes, I just went onto towns websites to find out the costs
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't realize there would be a difference! Where I am- small town place its $125- place is called Hanover.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics