Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Grace
Newbie July 2018 Ontario

Marriage License

Grace, on July 9, 2018 at 20:55 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 29
How long after I get married do I have to change my last name to my fiancé last name? Is there is a certain time period after you receive your marriage certificate to change it over?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on August 20, 2018 at 14:05
  • Holly
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

From everything I've read in Ontario you have to wait 12 weeks.

• Naomi
    Curious September 2018 British Columbia
    Naomi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was unequivocally single when I got my (first) passport 2 years ago with no plans to even start dating, so I decided to pay the extra money for a 10-year one since. In the end my trip got cancelled, so I'll need to cough up the money for a brand new passport after I change my name to replace my never-used one that still has 8 years left. On second thought, perhaps I'll wait until we start making plans for a trip out of the country.

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Currently regretting my 10 year passport that I got in 2014... but it's 5 years instead of 8 years.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since the day of your marriage, you have a period of 12 weeks same as 3 months to go online to purchase your wedding certificate and then once received, change your documents for the last name change.

You have until October and day of this year to register online for the marriage certificate.

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My understanding is that you can change your last name at any time after the wedding - even years later. I don't plan on changing my name until we have children - which will be at least another five years after our wedding. Especially with passports and all of your other documents, if just becomes a hassle, especially financially.

• Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So sorry, I was reading the responses and I lost track of your original question. I'm not sure if the deadline is probably different per province.
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My passport was set to expire in June and our wedding is in August. I had to renew it so that it didn't interfere with our honeymoon plans. So I'll be buying a new one in the new year after purchasing this one 6 months prior. 😆
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The changes are crazy and time factor does have that effect. Good idea to wait until you get back and deal with the passport issue. I hate to see you pay for the name change though the government won't do anything about it.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hear ya. My passport expired in March. But we live right by the border and go down to the states fairly often and we needed passports for our honeymoon so i had to renew it and now im gonna change my name and have to get a new one not even 6 months later Smiley atonished

Buttt going to wait until we return from our honeymoon in the fall to deal with it as all my flights are booked under my current name!
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe in Ontario, you have to wait 10 weeks.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LMAO! It's like these passports are dictating when all of us change our names lol.

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wish i knew, but im keeping my name so there's no difference for me
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, that's awhile! I wouldn't wait that long either!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Eeeehhhh, I did not think that through... seriously... lol.... I'm not keeping my maiden name on my passport for 8 years after the wedding... I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get a new one next Spring...

If it was within a couple years, for how little we travel, I could wait... but 8 years... no way.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got a five year one just last year, just in case I got married within that time frame Smiley xd so it expires in 2022 and I'll be getting a new one with my married name then.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can assume your married name at any time after your wedding once the marriage if officially recorded and in the records of the province. I got married in September and just started changing things to my married name.

For your passport being in your maiden name, you will need a copy of your marriage certificate and/or some photo ID with your maiden name to confirm your passport.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not entirely sure how long I have left on my passport but if it helps to know - I too will be paying for a new passport just to have my married name. If anyone asks what I bought as a present to myself - a passport. That is what I got myself Smiley tongue

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our passports have been expired for a few years now and my husband can change hus name once we renew the passports.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sucks. I would just wait but I don’t want to be doing this for 8 years lol.
  • Grace
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Grace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You have to do a whole new passport if you want to change it from your maiden name to your married name before it expires, and they don’t give you a break on the price either. Everyone normally just waits till it will expire, you just have to book your trips in your maiden name.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is me too... jeez. "Get a 10 year passport, it's a great idea"... I know the price difference isn't much, but even getting a 5 year barely a year and a half before the wedding would have sucked.
    I hope we dont need to totally redo it.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My passport is currently expired so we are waiting on actually getting new ones until after the wedding for this exact reason Haha!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm waiting to change my name purely because of my passport lol. I'll still have 5 years left on my 10 year passport.

• Grace
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Grace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No you’d have to pay for a whole new passport
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I know that. But I will have 8 years left on the passport and I don’t want to be doing that for 8 years lol. I was just wondering if they would change a passport for free
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    3 months after you get married, you can go personally to where you gor the marriage license office for the official certificate and pay there. Otherwise, there is a government site and pay online for the certificate and will be mailed out reaching within 15 days.

Once received, go to service ontario and change all documents needed to the new name for free taking that certificate as proof.
  • Grace
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Grace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know that you don’t have to change your passport, if you book any trips just book them m your maiden name! And bring your marriage license to prove why you license is a different name if you have to show it!
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is no deadline. You don’t just “change your name”. You have to have it changed on every id etc. The first time I was married I just changed things gradually. There were a few things I never got around to changing.

But a related question. Does anyone know if we need to pay for a whole new passport to change that. I had just gotten a 10 year passport about 6 months before we
    got engaged.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont believe there's an absolute deadline. The marriage certificate is just to legally be married! The name changes are separate after that! It's just more of a pain to get some things changed and then forgetting to do others can make issues sometimes but it's really no different from changing your address! Will get them all switched over eventually Haha!! Theres a lot of great lists online you can check for things to remember to switch over! Banking and personal ID / Passport is top priority!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics