Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Make a registry they said. It'll be fun they said...

Kelly, on January 29, 2019 at 10:00

Posted in Before the wedding 38

Hi friends! Just here to vent. We thought it would be a fun day going to scan all the things we wanted. But it was a total downer. Did anybody else have this experience? 1. We don't need a lot. We've lived together for 4 years. Most of the stuff we're adding is an upgrade from the hand-me-downs we...

Hi friends! Just here to vent.

We thought it would be a fun day going to scan all the things we wanted. But it was a total downer. Did anybody else have this experience?

1. We don't need a lot. We've lived together for 4 years. Most of the stuff we're adding is an upgrade from the hand-me-downs we got when we moved in together.

2. Hudson's Bay had NOTHING. The entire home area needed a full on re-stock because half the shelves were completely bare. Looking at you towel department. That really took the wind out of our sails.

3. The woman helping us set up the registry told us we didn't have enough stuff on it for our guest count. But....we don't NEED a lot. why would we add things based on our guest count and not our personal needs?

4. "You need to add more inexpensive items". Okay...I DO understand this...and I don't. I understand having a good range of prices to fit all your guests' different budgets. BUT...I also don't want to add cheaper things that I don't need or really want. It is not EXPECTED for my guests to get us anything. If they do want to get us something, and our registry is out of their budget, they can get us a gift card in an amount they're comfortable with, or they can get us nothing. That's their decision.

The items we have on our registry are not outrageously priced or anything. We have lots that are within the $50 or less range, and most items are in the $50-$100 range.

I also think its important to put things on your registry that you really do want because of the completion discount you get after your wedding. Do I expect my guests to buy me that $600 Dyson? Heck no, but if we decide to get it ourselves after with the registry completion discount, then it does need to be on our registry.

38 Comments

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had the sales associates at Bed, Bath, and Beyond harass me into signing up to make a registry. They’re so pushy and don’t understand that we all don’t need a lot. I ended up cancelling my appointment and will go at another time when I’m ready.
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I started my HBC registry at the store but than I went online to add things that were not on the shelves, it was easier that way. I also have one for Bed Bath and Beyond and Walmart. I always found that most people would add top end things that I knew I couldn't afford, so I'd look on their list and than go find it cheaper somewhere else. I'm so but why would I pay $100 for a set of glassware when I can pay $50 for the same ones elsewhere.

Most of our things are just odds and end thing, bake ware that needs replaces, bedding for my kids, etc. Any big ticket items we can buy ourselves.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re in the same boat! We’ve lived together over 4 years, so we don’t need much. So we decided to do a Honeyfund Honeymoon registry as our main registry. We will also do a very small registry at the Bay or somewhere to satisfy the guests who prefer to buy a physical gift. I think it’s the best of both worlds!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve heard great things about Zola.

We decided to forgo a registry...but given the discounts offered if items aren’t purchased 🤔, we may have to reconsider.

I also am TOTALLY for those couples who register at liquor/wine stores. (My mother would kill me.)
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in the same situation as you. We have lived together for almost 3 years, have everything we need, and would really only need upgrades. I honestly did not want to go through all the stress of doing a registry! So we are leaving it open to monetary gifts, and if someone really wants to buy us something thats fine.

I cannot wrap my head around sales associates trying to push you for cheaper/more things. It is your registry, and they should leave that up to you! It also doesn't help if they do not have the inventory in store for you to even add!

I just keep thinking back to other showers I have gone to (both baby and bridal) and some people like to get a group together and all go in on a gift, so you never know, you might get that amazing Dyson! lol.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to Hudson bay too and everything I liked that was out of stock and you couldn't register for it when out of stock. I did the same of price consideration. Some of their items thought were way to expensive. I have been with my fh for 2 years in our house and everything we were registering for is upgrades. Example plates that actually match and some new pots and pans as ours are quiet warn and so forth.

They were pretty pushy with registering for higher priced items. But if I was a guest and someone registered for something like the dyson. I wouldn't be buying it. Doesn't mean someone else won't maybe a group of people pitch in instead.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics