Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Super August 2017 Alberta

Maid of honour is out of province :(

Bethany, on January 30, 2017 at 22:29 Posted in Before the wedding 0 11
Hi ladies! I need your opinions again. I grew up in Nova Scotia and now live and am getting married in Alberta. My best friend still lives in Nova Scotia. I made her my maid of honour but she's a student and doesn't have tons of money so she's only going to get up here for the wedding. Does this mean I don't get a bachelorette party?? Anyone else have long distance maids of honour? How do u go about this?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Samtam, on February 7, 2017 at 13:17
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds great! That's so nice that they're introducing themselves to each other before the wedding. That'll make it more fun on the day of!

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's kind of reassuring knowing I'm not the only one in that boat. I almost wondered if I made a mistake lol. I have 6 people standing and not all of them know each other. Most don't in fact. They have now connected on fb and I think text messaging. I suggested the bridal party couple days before the wedding but left it up to them. Since they're all in contact now I think they'll get it figured... they better get it figured lol. Thanks for the support ladies!
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My MOH and my other bridesmaid are both is Saskatchewan and I am in Alberta. My MOH wants to throw me a shower for the ladies in my hometown so we are working out a weekend when I can be in town for the weekend and she is also available. She doesn't have much for extra funds so I have told her I will help her out with funds if she needs. As for bachelorette parties I am not much for the type of drunken things highlighted in movies that I have seen. I am more low key and my FH and I aren't big drinkers so I am pretty okay with skipping a bachelorette party.

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's definitely doable! I live in CA and my sister/MOH lives in NY. I was lucky that she was able to fly out for my bridal shower but if she hadn't been able to, my mom probably would have thrown it instead. The MOH doesn't have to host the bridal shower and bachelorette. We did my bachelorette party the Thurs before the wedding because we wouldn't have been able to get everyone together beforehand. Could your bridal party fly in a day or two early and you can do something then? Otherwise, your bridesmaids can plan the party if your MOH can't make it. (They should be helping your MOH anyways.)

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definintely talk to her and see if she thinks she could swing an extra few days visit (If you don't mind having your party close to the wedding), or mention to your other BMs that you would like a Bachelorette party and see if they would mind planning a great night for you.

I'm not even having a bridal party, and two of my girlfriends are scheming to plan one for me anyway, so maybe they ahve already thought of this for you!

Any chance you are going home for a visit before the wedding? A party months before the wedding could still be great too!

OR have a "not a bachelorette anymore" party at a later date. We did that for a freind who had JUST had a baby before her wedding. We waited until after the wedding when she had settled into married life and motherhood, and we did a spa weekend.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could also just talk with you bridesmaids and ask if someone would take the lead on planning the Bachelorette since MOH isn't here. I know I wouldn't full enjoy a Bachelorette so close to the wedding... I'll be a ball of nerves and constantly thinking about what I need to do, or bring, or not forget! But people manage to do theirs the week of all the time.
  • Robyn
    Frequent user June 2017 Quebec
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi! I am in the same situation, I am from NS and I moved to Quebec however my MOH is back in NS. I just have lots of phonecalls with her and with technology now a days I share a lot with her via facebook or sending pictures and am always asking opinions.
    I actually bought my dress back home and have a fitting in april so we are having a Bachlorette then with all my friends from back home. She is going to come up a few days before the wedding to help me get last minute things done. So far it is working out pretty good!

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Brittany and Emilie!Smiley smile
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Bethany! Smiley heart I like Brittany's suggestion! You could also meet in Nova Scotia right before the wedding to celebrate? Smiley smile Are your other bridesmaids still living in Nova Scotia too? I hope we'll be able to find a solution! Having an awesome bachelorette party would be great! You can take a look at these and maybe exchange a few ideas and plan it together?

5 Bachelorette party ideas. Which one would you choose?

7 popular Bachelorette party destinations

What type of Bachelorette party do you prefer? Do all of your bridesmaids already know each other?

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like this idea Bethany! Smiley heart Is that what you're doing too? Smiley smile

• Brittany
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have her come into town a few days early! Like Wednesday and do it then! Consider asking someone else to handle local arrangements if you'd like a bridal shower or engagement party. It might be awkward but talk to your MOH and let her know it's important to you and you don't want her to be excluded but you'd really like the bride experience.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics