Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sharlene
Expert August 2019 Alberta

Maid of honour drama!

Sharlene, on April 1, 2019 at 17:56 Posted in Before the wedding 0 16

My maid of honor tells me that after shopping with the other two bridesmaids on two different occasions to just go with the other two and decide on a dress and she will order whatever they finally select. I do just that, happy that after four shopping trips the decision was made. She then expresses her unhappiness with the dress.

She also complained because she didn't receive a $40 discount that would have been received if the three ladies ordered dressed together. I offered to send her the $40 to make up for this, that wasn't good enough.

She also complained that we only blocked rooms for the Friday and Saturday and not the Sunday (we are getting married on a long weekend). She couldn't even take the night off to come to our engagement party 30 minutes from home, so how she believes that she will be able to be gone from her business for 3 whole days is beyond me!

I finally had enough and let her know that she was upsetting me and that this is my wedding and I would like to be happy about it! Four months to go and I am tired of the drama!!! I was her bridesmaid and I was much more easy to please and just went along with her decisions, went to her multiple showers, etc.

16 Comments

Latest activity by Jenn, on April 5, 2019 at 14:54
  • Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Really! What is with people!? It seems like we each have at least one, whether it's a friend, a family member, or an attendant that has completely gone off their bloody rocker about the most ridiculous and/or trivial things.

Pair that nonsense with the stress of organizing a detailed formal event, a time crunch, a poor excuse for RSVPs, an expectation by everyone to accommodate their every whim, and a FH that truly believes that he bought the ring and planned the proposal therefore his part is done...

I do not want to hear the term Bridezilla. In fact, I'd like to slap the jerk that coined the term...
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I ended up sending her the $40 so hopefully that takes care of that issue and me letting her know that she was upsetting me hopefully will make her stop and think before she acts will make things better. At any rate I am moving forward as there are lots of little details left for my fiancé and I to take care of and I don't have time for drama or distractions!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Shocker of her to be a complaining BM being unhappy with all the decisions and money savings related to the wedding expense.

Its close to your wedding and she needs to either get with the program and be square. If not wanting to be part of your day, step down and have her come as a guest. Its hard enough listening to everyone else about their problems with your wedding.

If she continues carrying on the way she is for your wedding, then she should meet you and come to terms of what you are expecting as she had of your expectations to her wedding. It seems she has more expectations from you than herself. Just wrong!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha yes i agree Sharlene! I honestly was shocked when it comes from people you don't expect either. Hurts more in my opinion. My FH is very don't give a care in world about this type of drama. He told me I need to stop caring and brush it off. LOL I am the opposite of that. It sounds like you would be safe sending the money though.

• Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is exactly right I am realizing that you cannot please everyone. She is clearly acting like one of those people and she was the last person I expected this sort of behavior from. I am on the fence about sending the money, fearful that it could make matters worse. However if she is going to take the money and move forward I am happy to send the money, but she is saying she doesn't want it. Given the past experience of her telling me one thing, but in fact her true feelings are the exact opposite I think it might be best just to send the money.

Glad you got paid back on some deposit. Females are hard to deal with. This is a prime example of why I am so glad I only have a brother!!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I swear there is always one in the wedding party you can't please! There was two girls in my party who said they wouldnt care what they wore and believed them as we are in another wedding together and they didnt' care for that. I picked out around 7 dresses. One didn't like single one, I said to look at others. she picked one I said no to because diff length then anyone elses. I then picked 20 choices off online went and got pricing at a retailer and then told her. She then finally picked one.

I am glad you let her know your thoughts!! Some won't and it just boils up to a point and you explode at each other.

As for the blocking off for whole weekend at hotel. Its also a long weekend and most I would think would head home after 2 days of being there. She could find air bnb or even ask hotel if when she books the other two if they could give her same pricing for the third if this is what she wants.

Btw- you offering to pay the $40 is nice! I did all the deposits for my girls because of how much complaining and some were offended and some took it. I did get paid back eventually for them though

• Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is! Good luck with your details and may your wedding day be everything you hoped for and even more!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good! You have to take care of yourself and prioritize what really matters. We've only got four months to go! It's coming up!

• Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is it exactly. As soon as she brought up Sunday I searched two different websites and both had available rooms in town. I have even asked a friend to talk with her in-laws about cabins that they own to see if they are willing to rent to guests for one night. Then I told myself wow, no I am not doing more for her than I would for anyone else. Time to stop being nice and getting stressed out over someone else's issues.
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. She talked a good game when it came to getting the dresses, but when it came decision time, she changed her tune. Dresses all on order, so hopefully that will get things back to normal.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why can't she just book a room on her own for the Sunday night? I swear, some people are helpless with weddings! Like, I get that it's a long weekend (I'm getting married the same weekend), but comeon!

Good luck with this bridesmaid. I'd say have a conversation with her about what's bothering you. Hopefully she will see the impact of her actions.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dang, that girl needs to take a step back and re-evaluate how she is acting. None of my BM's cared what I wanted them to wear - heck, I told them to pick different dresses as long as they are the same colour and they all kept double checking that I didn't want them all in the same exact dress! Super accommodating!

Hopefully your talk with her woke her up! Sorry you're just getting added stress from her Smiley atonished

• Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree, not a way for a maid of honor to behave. I nearly said step down so I can replace you. It is not like her to act this way, so I didn't get that drastic.
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, I ended up telling her that she was upsetting me and I just want to be happy about my upcoming wedding. I considered saying don't bother buying a dress and asking someone else, but I made it clear that she is causing me stress and not bringing me happiness.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s hard enough to deal with this from a bridesmaid, but your MOH! I am shocked.
    i would for sure tell her that this is your day and she needs to be just as on board as you were for her wedding!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is your MOH? I might be cold hearted but I would either say to her get on board the bus, or get off the bus.

How can she be so miserable for your wedding?!

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics