Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Donna
Devoted July 2019 Ontario

Lock on Cards or not

Donna, on December 13, 2018 at 20:56 Posted in Wedding reception 0 15

My sister in law asked me if I have a lock on my Cards box, I don't feel that any one like Family or Close friends would steal, now she has me thinking. Who is to take the cards and presents to your home?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Sydney, on December 16, 2018 at 23:11
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our family was worried about this as well! Not so much because of the people at the wedding, but the people who weren’t. There were two weddings going on at our venue on the same night. We ended up having a family member who was leaving early (bringing my niece and nephew home after the first dances) and she emptied the card box and brought everything home with her when she went!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well I never thought about this until now, but I'm thinking now that i will get someone to empty it semi frequently! I'm worried more about strangers as we are on private property, but there is a campground we will not be renting all of as we are too cheap 😂
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s good! I’m sure your gifts will be well-protected!
  • Donna
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We just hired a security guard a friend of my fiance us doing it for us. Watching our cards n gifts
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours has a cheapy lock on it.

what I would recommend. is don't have the card box right at the doorway (easier for someone to grab and disappear). and make someone responsible for them and the gifts. and to watch them for the night.

one wedding I was in. the gift/card box table was actually up near the head table. and there were no doorways near there. so if anyone was going to grab them. you would be in full view of the whole wedding.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is no lock on ours. But it’s really just a cardboard box (decorated) with a slot and it can’t really be opened without destroying the box. We are making sure the table with the gifts and card box are on a table that’s well inside and the reception room. We are also having a small wedding and know everyone that’s there very well.

We will get a family member to remove the box just as dinner ends.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not doing a lock on my card box, since it's a bird cage and a thief could easily steal some things between the bars.

Lock on Cards or not 1

However, I will have my dad watch over it during the cocktail hour and he'll put it in our room for us during dinner.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As Kelsie stated, if someone's coming in to steal the cards, they'll calmly walk away with the whole box before they open it up and just take a handful...

It's not your guests who would steal (necessarily, don't put it past anyone, or if you're allowing unknown plus ones... your friend/family member may barely know their date), but wedding crashers.

When I was in my wedding planning course, my teacher told us there are people who are almost "professional crashers" who know the wedding venues, dress up to blend in, then steal gifts/cards and are gone before you knew they were there.

I'd just make sure it's in a more secure location (not near a door), and put it away once dinner starts/ends...

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't believe you need one as a designated family member can keep on a eye on the box time to time. Otherwise look for one with a slider on the bottom part.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not so much your guests, as uninvited guests, I think she's worried about. We are designating one of our groomsmen to put the box away during dinner, and then after our 'wedding crasher' guests arrive after dinner.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s a good call to put a lock on it and ensure that it has a safe place to be after the cocktail hour.
    We luckily have a private safe in our room but will most likely have the box transported out to a secondary location at some point throughout the night - can never be too safe!
  • Donna
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you probably be best to lock it up. I thank you for getting back to me .
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There’s some people who dress up really nice, as though they’re a guest of the wedding, and steal the box when people aren’t paying attention.

its a sad truth.

A lock on the box won’t deter someone from taking it though.

We are having the gift box next to us in the receiving line and my mom will lock it away once the receiving line is finished - to be safe.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Donna!

I guess that would depend on your venue and its location. If your venue is very accessible to the public (hotel, restaurant) then I would suggest locking them or designating someone to stay close. Since you can't really control uninvited guests coming in and snooping around.

That being said, if your venue is pretty secluded or secure, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

In either cases, I'd ask someone from your bridal party or close family to take away the cards near the end of the cocktail hour. They could take them to their hotel room or their car.

Hope this helps! Smiley smile

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will not put a lock on ours but it will not be by the entrance and my parents will bring everything to the hotel fairly early.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics