Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katrina
Newbie September 2021 Manitoba

Live Band For Wedding

Katrina, on March 18, 2021 at 17:03 Posted in Wedding reception 0 4
Hey everyone!

I am planning to hire a band to play at my wedding in September, but I am stuck between what kind of band to get. I just wanted to see what others opinions were on this! So I originally wanted to go with a country band because myself and my husband to be both really like it, and feel that it is fun to dance to. I have recently come across a really cool 50s and 60s band that is really fun and lively as well with all the brass instruments and what not. Our wedding is also a very vintage vibe and venue so this would fit in really well. We really like this style of music as well. I know that with bands we would be limited with the variety of music, however they all offer music in between sets where we could play whatever we wanted essentially so we wouldn’t be stuck with JUST one genre the whole night. What do you guys feel would be better to go with?
Thanks! -Katrina

4 Comments

Latest activity by Geneviève, on March 24, 2021 at 18:57
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One thing to consider is the age group/taste of your guests. If you have a majority of older/younger guests with either broad or rigid tastes, this may impact the entertainment you want to provide. That might prove to be helpful if one band is more diverse than another or if the majority of your guests are fond of an era/genre. As an example, I went to a wedding where the DJ played primarily 2000s+ with a strong focus on latest hits and majority of the guests were 40+. While 19 year old me and the bride and groom’s friends loved that they were playing LMFAO’s whole album, not too many people danced that night unfortunately. 🤣
  • Shelly
    Curious July 2022 British Columbia
    Shelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you like both bands equally maybe go with the better price? Or ask for a demo reel you can listen to and see which one matches what you envision your wedding to feel like. Personally, I think the 50s/60s band sounds awesome and I would maybe also ask them if they would do some country numbers so you get the best of both. If you're really torn you could consider hiring both for shorter amounts of time- one does the first half of your reception and the other does the second half (might be more expensive though). Or maybe have one for the cocktail hour/dinner bit and then the other for the dancing bit?

• L
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to a country band wedding, and a pop band wedding, and both had very good turn out on the dance floor. The nice thing about country is that it’s very easy to dance to with a partner, and none of the music is obtrusive, it may be hard to talk at a table near a brass band. Can you get a demo or get reviews from other people who hired the bands to get an idea of their performances?
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I would hire a band that can perform a more diverse set. It's not about music we like but music that will energize the crowd. Unless most of your crowd is also as passionate about the one genre as you are, you risk potentially alienating them.

By the way, not sure what Manitoba rules are but brass instruments, dancing, and singing are prohibited in a lot of regions right now due to covid. There are also restrictions on music volume - in certain places, it can't be so loud that you have to raise your voice to talk to someone. Something to think about, especially if your reasoning for hiring them is to get people up and dancing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics