Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie July 2018 British Columbia

Liquor License or Special Event Permit

Sarina, on May 15, 2018 at 12:36 Posted in Wedding reception 0 7

We are having our reception at Cammidge House, a heritage house we are renting for the day, and I would like to know how to handle the serving of the alcohol.

If we can't just buy our own and let people can serve themselves - then does anyone know the options available? I believe I may need to apply for a Special Event Permit - but that would mean I can't drink anything. Perhaps a licensed caterer would take care of everything?

Is anybody else dealing with this issue or can provide advice on what needs to be in place, and whose responsibility it is?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on October 11, 2020 at 01:31
  • R
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Perhaps hire mobile bartenders. Regardless , you will need an SOP for the event. The bartenders you can contract out (alot of companies out there) or pay someone to serve (that you trust and are knowledgeable) about liquor laws in ON. Having the same issue right now with my venue. The venue recommended I use a bartender that bartends there alot (familiar with one another) but looking at all of the costs, fees and headaches (bring liquor in and out, only having one bartender, dealing with the permit in my name, buying all the booze etc) we will probably will just hire a catering company to run and sever the bar for us as well as lite appetizers. Catering company Already has a liquor license, they bring and take away everything and come with multiple servers so guests aren't inconvenienced. No headaches, no stress and no liabilities. But everyone budget is different so choose what's best for you! Read the liquor license regulations act !
    Our recommended bartender didn't know or was telling us information that was against the liquor law eg. Would allow guests to come up to the bar and get a bottle of wine; anyone with a smart serve (which I've had since 18) says you can't give a guest more than 2-2.5oz. Our bartender we interviewed would have no way of knowing who was exactly consuming the alcohol, plus she's stuck at the bar all know unable to monitor guests consumption. Ask questions when interviewing, she told us about a wedding that she did ended at 930.....because a giant fight broke out. I wondered how that happened.......
    Be careful if your venue or catering company isn't doing the liquor, you will be the host and are responsible for the "event"/ wedding, including guests who drive home drunk!
    https://www.agco.ca/alcohol/special-occasion-permits-private-event
  • R
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great topic!

Our venue doesn't supply alcohol and the recommended bat tender wants us; bride and groom to take out the SOP in our name.
    I have a smart server myself but completely didn't make the connection that I couldn't drink if my name is on the liquor license.
    Thanks and looking for some more Bartender related topics!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is that the Heritage House at Boundary Bay Regional Park??
    You will need a Special Event Permit regardless of alcohol or not (my wedding is also in a metrovan park!) and probably a liquor permit. You can designate someone else to not drink and be the name on the permit so you can drink - its your wedding im sure someone will step up for you! Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The permit is the only way to go abouts buying booze since your venue isn't supplying them.

On the other end, i couldn't buy alcohol since thr venue had to do that based on my request.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My reception venue requires SOP (Special Occasion Permit) for having alcohol. my FH and I are providing the wine & stocking the bar- our catering company said that it was the best way to do cash bar and for us to get the $$ from it.
  • S
    Newbie July 2018 British Columbia
    Sarina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the info Tori - the venue won't supply the bar, and I don't want to burden any of our guests with applying for the license/special event permit on our behalf (and the responsibilities that go with it).

So, hopefully option 2 would work, having a mobile bar service, or at least our caterer's bar service take car of all the legal stuff. Will talk to them in more detail about this.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know we are in different provinces entirely so our legalities may be a bit different - but here in Manitoba if you are the one carrying the liquor license then you can't consume the alcohol (which is no-bueno for me Smiley tongue ). So the options that we have here are:

1. Have the venue supply the bar

2. Have a mobile bar service cater the wedding

3. Take the license out and buy drinks yourself - but make sure you have the license in the name of someone you trust will be monitoring the liquor intake (cut people off if need be), and will remain sober the night. I recommend having an Uncle or Aunt do this.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics