Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

Lighting - Negative Vibes Rant

Kelsie, on August 14, 2019 at 16:25 Posted in Before the wedding 0 21

I need a space to vent, and I feel there's no safer space than WeddingWire! Everyone is so supportive and I could use a good rant right now.

My FH and I loove our reception venue! We could not be more excited to host our reception there; it's a beautiful golf course, apparently the food is to die for (we haven't had our tasting yet!) and the room is awesome. So, perfect right?

My FH really wanted to use a DJ he's known for years, which was fine with me. Our venue was upfront we would need to pay a plug-in fee if we weren't using their in house entertainment company. It was a steep plug-in fee, in my opinion, but I wanted my FH to feel like he got some things he wanted for our day too.

So, I called up the in-house company to make my payment for the plug-in fee and the woman asks me if I'm interested in having the spotlighting for speeches and dancing, as well as pin lighting for the tables. I let her know I'd have to discuss with my FH.

We decide to go ahead with the spotlighting and pinlighting, how expensive can it be? The lights are already there, they just need to turn them on.

I almost fell off my chair at work! They quoted me over $4500 for the lighting and plug-in fee. I ended up talking them down substantially because to be honest, I'm paying enough for the venue as is - how expensive is it to turn the lights on for a few hours?

I'm going to write a negative review once the wedding is over. I feel really tricked because we HAD to use them. It's their system and another company is not able to tap into it. I'm really glad now we did not use them for our DJ services, I could just imagine THAT bill.

Just not the amount of money I wanted to spend but, what can we do sometimes? That's life.

Thanks for reading my rant. I hope no one else has to deal with this!

21 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on September 12, 2019 at 16:29
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah. That's how all these places get you. I feel the plug in fee is a load of CRAP pardon my language.

It was cheaper for us to get our own DJ and pay the plug in fee, than hiring the in house DJ. I fought them on the price for plug in as they originally said $1,500 and I literally laughed in their face & told them that was not happening !

I am not only paying $500 for the plug in & that gives my DJ access to all the lights and sound.

I know how you feel through. Some of the things these people do are ridiculous!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, it's insane. Makes me sad but also, I guess that's how they guarantee they make money - they're a business, so I get it. The highway robbery though, I don't get.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG I am having the same issue! our venue is so nice and they said we had to book through their in house person. theyre charging 700 just for our DJ to plug into the wall (literally) and then another 2000 to turn on the lights that are already in the room!!!!!!! its beyond ridiculous that they can charge this amount for NO REASON. UGHHHHHHHHHHH

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish. The lighting system belongs to this company and no one else can "plug in".

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg that is an insane amount! To flick a switch.
    Could you have someone else turn them on and not pay that amount lol
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our contract with the venue specifically stated if we opted not to use the venue's in house entertainment company, we would have to pay X as a plug-in fee to the in house entertainment company which we understood and were fine with.

The extra lighting though - not expecting that much at all. I got really angry and talked the in house entertainment company down significantly. We had to book with them, we have no choice. It's that which bothers me a lot. We are forced to book with them, we can't price elsewhere, bring another company in because the lighting system is theirs.

Just a huge UGH moment.

I'm definitely waiting until after the wedding. The only silver lining to this (I'm trying to find something positive) is my FH got a bunch of travel rewards on his card for the payment. So a little extra off our honeymoon. It's the little things!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow!!! I would never guessed would be more than 500 for the plug in and lighting. The lighting for sure would have been nice but thats insane pricing. I would be very upset that all these different fee's weren't stated in a contract when you signed saying if you didn't do in house music this is the fee, if you want lighting this is other fee. Our contract had a huge list of services and then a total on bottom so we could say which ones we wanted and add total then sign contract.

That's good decision to wait after wedding- We have had honestly so many vendors bail and I plan to do same after wedding is complete.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s right! We have to pay for a technician as well. And it’s not cheap. I mean I’m glad there will be someone there in case something does go wrong but it still feels like a total money grab to me. It’s too bad.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our DJ could bring his own lights but the whole lighting system at my venue belongs to this particular company so we have to use them. A third party vendor can’t “plug in” like they can for DJ services. So, we are literally forced to use them if we want any type of lighting.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s ridiculous! I understand it’s their system in my venue and they’re trying to make money since I am not using them for anything else but it is well and truly a rip off.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There was no way I was going to pay $4500. That’s more than my wedding dress, shoes, limo, and DJ like combined. It’s insane.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know it’s absolutely ridiculous! The woman was trying to convince me I was getting a great deal and making me seem cheap. It’s been my worst experience with a vendor so far and I’m literally forced to use them!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right?! I was really annoyed. This isn’t rocket science, it’s turning some lights on!
  • S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a similar experience. We met with the in-house DJ and found it was going to be $5000+for basic services and a large cost of that was for a “technician”. If you use their services you MUST have the technician there just in case anything happens. The DJ does not double up as a technician and they are required to have a meal as well as the DJ.
    I was reading reviews and MOST people said they had the same issue. They were so thankful for the technician because the “speakers stopped working” and they were able to fix it so quickly. A total scam to make people think that having a technician was worth the money. . If you are paying $5000 for DJ services I would expect no issues at all.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is outrageous. Does your DJ have their own lights? Is that an option or will you still need to pay to plug those in?

I have never even heard of a plug in fee - such a money grab.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm with you - that's absolutely outrageous! I'm glad you talked them down but that definitely seems like they tricked you and are now ripping you off. It's such a shame since they seem to have everything else going for them!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's totally insane!! I would've fallen out of my chair too. Glad you were able to talk them down!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow 😮. That is really steep! I thought my venue was crazy for wanting $35 per pin light and $30 per LED up light (I got the LEDs thrown in for free with no squabble). They’re just lights that you have to flip a switch on! Glad you were able to knock down the price
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would have fallen off my chair for sure!! That price it obscene!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's what we're here for!

But man... that is crazy pricey!! What the heck?? A DJ should cost like.... $1,500 max... so why would lights cost $4,500?? CRAZY!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is horrible. I would not be impressed either!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics