Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Expert September 2020 Ontario

Legalities before??

Emily, on July 2, 2019 at 11:58 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 7

Hi there!

My fiancé and I were thinking of getting married legally before the wedding to save on the expense of an actual ordained minister. Neither of us are religious so our ceremony won’t be in a church, we may ask a family or friend to “perform” the ceremony if we go this route. Has anyone else done this? Thoughts, pro’s/con’s?

Thanks in advance Smiley smile

7 Comments

Latest activity by Madisyn, on July 3, 2019 at 18:18
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting legally married 7 weeks before the wedding. In our area it was going to cost $350 just to book city hall, plus the marriage license. Instead, we are having a very intimate ceremony at our home with someone we know who is ordained. If that is an option for you it might be the most cost efficient?
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You may not actually save must to be honest. I used an officiant and had my sister in law perform the ceremony. it wasn't costly at all; part of what you pay them goes to all the documents being filed etc. You will still be paying that at city hall. I would compare prices before making any decisions.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't done this, but I see where you're coming from. If you do choose to do this, first you need to see how much it's going to cost to do it at city hall, then you can compare that with local price of an ordained person and see what's worth it. My officiant is cheaper than doing it at city hall tho!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have inquired about this myself before my husband agreeing to a small full wedding.

So thoughts are that Courthouses can charge a certain amount based on the town or city. I have gotten up to the price of $450 plus for the room you will get married in may vary on cost. It does add with the taxes on top of both or just the Minister performing the wedding.

Officiant is somewhat equivalent to the price of the courthouse without the room charge (if quoted). I did research around the area and found one that was reasonable in price.

Look at your options and call around to find out what your best way to go result wise. Book according to what you both feel is right.

The route of having a friend or family member to go online and do the online course for Officiant is also good so to save on the cost as mentioning. See if anyone is willing or has done it, that way its saved on the cost.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depending on local city hall/courthouse fees, it might be the same price to getting an ordained minister. There's lots that are non-religious that deliver beautiful ceremonies and let you customize parts of your ceremony.

Most people (not all) do a legal city hall/courthouse wedding because they don't want to do the whole wedding thing at all (i.e. elope) or they do it in their hometown before a destination wedding to mitigate legalities.

I think in your situation, it would be in your best interests to research non-religious ordained ministers and compare costs to the cost of a city hall/courthouse ceremony.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you thinking of going to the court to have this done? I know my friend had paid near $500 to have it done in the courthouse.

Some people have talked about it and all depends on the person of what they would like. I would see the costs of getting it in a courthouse or elsewhere before deciding against hiring a officiant

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Haven't done this - but to get my officiant for my wedding it is only costing us $200 (plus we will probably tip because it's pretty cheap).

I would say the only big Con of doing this is that - what day would be your anniversary then? The day you legally got married or the day that you celebrated? UNLESS - unless you get legally married early in the morning and celebrate later in the day!

I would only have considered getting married before the day of if it was on a special day like our dating anniversary or if I was about to have a baby and wanted to be married before the due date.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics