Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia

Legal Name Change Before the Wedding?

Michelle, on September 10, 2019 at 09:33 Posted in Before the wedding 0 8

So here's the thing, my ID expires on my birthday next year which is less than two weeks before my wedding. It would make more sense to renew my ID under my married name rather than have to get a new ID again with my new name so soon after renewing it. And I don't want to put off renewing my ID in case I'm in a situation where I shouldn't be with an expired ID (driving, purchasing alcohol for the wedding etc)

Is this possible/has anyone done this? Do you need proof of marriage to legally change your last name?

I've tried looking it up but I can only find info on changing your name after you're married.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 12, 2019 at 12:27
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe you have to wait for your marriage certificate and ive heard that takes WEEKS then you have to order a copy ugh so much waiting!

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the info ladies! I wasn't aware of the difference between changing my name and assuming his, so that's really good to know.

Looks like I'm going to renew my ID under my maiden name and get around to changing it later after the wedding

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I couldn't find anything for Nova Scotia, but in Ontario you can elect to legally change your name (and get a new birth certificate) in a common-law/conjugal relationship.

If you wanted to just assume your FH's name (not get a new birth certificate), you have to have your marriage certificate so it can only be done after the wedding.

One thing you could do, is renew your ID with your current name and then change it when it expires (I'm guessing 5 years for Driver's license if it's similar to Ontario).

A name change on a driver's license in Ontario is free but rules might be different in Nova Scotia. I had to renew my ID in March, getting married in October and will hopefully start the name change process in the new year (doing a legal change to a combined last name).

• K
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Katrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You won’t be able to change your name without the marriage licence
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How it works in Ontario at least is that your officiant needs to file the marriage licence and then you need to wait a couple of weeks and apply for a marriage certificate at city hall. Once you get the certificate you can assume your married name by taking the certificate with you to renew your IDs (except birth certificate, that stays in your birth name if you are only assuming your new name).

If you want to legally change your name, which means you will get a new birth certificate with your married name on it, you go through the same process of getting a marriage certificate, but you also need to file an election to change name form with the government. You will then be sent a name change certificate and new birth certificate. You take the name change certificate in and update your IDs.

For a lot of people they just assume their married name because it's quicker and easier and having a birth certificate in a different name doesn't bother them. The one thing to think about though also is if you are part of any licensed bodies or professions you may only be able to practice and be licensed under your legal name. For example, I am a paralegal and can only be licensed under my legal name so if I only assume my married name instead of legally changing it I would have to continue using my maiden name at work.

If you are living together common law then you will need to file forms like a declaration that you are in a common law relationship and a change of name form.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As far as I'm aware - you can change your name but it usually takes WEEKS if not Months. My FH did this to take his Dad's last name because he had is Mom's and it got finalized with a new birth certificate maybe 2 weeks ago and he submitted the first set of paperwork back in June...

There is also a difference in changing your name and assuming your partner's married name. So when I change my name I am assuming his last name of Doll and that way my birth certificate stays the same. If I change my name before the wedding then that will need to be remade with the new name which is why it's a lengthier process.

Apparently difference in every province but in MB it doesn't make sense to change your name first. Especially when a new license only costs like $10.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It varies by province - in some you can assume your partner's name but would need to have a marriage certificate to prove it. In some cases you can legally change your name (meaning that your birth certificate would also change). Google may be your best bet to start on this.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would go into your local service canada and ask them. They would know best. As far as I know it can only be done after you submit your marriage certificate and it can take several weeks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics