Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Late Night Snack

Kelly, on June 4, 2019 at 11:22 Posted in Wedding reception 0 20

My fiance and I were planning on doing a popcorn bar for the late night snack, with about 3-4 different flavours (sweet and savoury options).

When my mom found out, she guffawed at our choice, said we couldn't feed our guests merely popcorn, and wanted to look at what the caterers offered instead. And yeah....sure, the caterers have sliders, and gourmet hot dogs, and a perogie bar as options. Which are great, but I read those options, and I think of the huge meal we're eating, and the doughnuts we're having for dessert which are very filling....and all of those snack options sound so heavy and filling.

I also just cannot wrap my head around the price going with the caterers. It'll be another $1,000 easy, and the popcorn would cost us less than $200, it would be fun, and casual...But my mom thinks its tacky and cheap, and messy? My parent's are paying for the food. Though my fiance and I would have paid for the popcorn like we are for the doughnuts and the bar...but I think my mom intended to pay for the snack if the caterers were providing.

My parents are already doing and paying for SO MUCH. They're throwing the shower, and the brunch the day after the wedding, and paying easily the most expensive bill for the wedding. I feel guilty about it.

Thoughts?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Terri, on June 11, 2019 at 13:49
  • Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Popcorn!! I love to snack on this late at night when I don't want something heavy in my belly but have been drinking a bit Smiley smile Great idea

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everyone loves popcorn! I say do it and maybe add someone like a sandwich or fruit and veggie tray.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I seriously love the idea of a popcorn bar! I would pair it with one other bar to fill things out tho Smiley smile

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe we are having fruits with different cheeses with crackers

• Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Popcorn sounds like a great idea! Especially if you could personalize the bags!

You can get different flavour shakers so guests have a choice! Kernels makes some good ones -white cheddar, jalapenos, etc etc.,

I agree with you that while guests may want a snack at the end of the night, they're probably still REALLY full from dinner. The con of having a filling late snack is what happens if your guests aren't hungry and you paid for uneaten food?
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Late Night snacks are great and popcorn sounds wonderful to munch on mixing the flavour as they put them in the bag or their choice provided at the table.

I too had a late night buffet and actual hand size food of sandwich/wraps, veggies and fruits to enjoy light easy food even after a 4 course meal for dinner. You will be surprised how much guests will drink and get hungry after some time.

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I LOVE the idea of a popcorn bar! Personally I would hold my ground on that one but I am also addicted to popcorn, so..... Smiley xd

What if you stayed with the popcorn, but told your mom that they can also pick a snack to add so people have options? Compromise!

• Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen a lot of people do popcorn! I myself love popcorn. But, on the other hand, particularly if people are drinking, popcorn might not be quite enough, as it's not overly filling. People tend to get snacky when consuming alcohol, especially if they're dancing lots! I suppose it somewhat depends on how much food (if you're also having a cocktail hour). At the end of the day, if Mom and Dad are footing the bill and they reallly feel strongly about having a different food selection, I'd either compromise with Mom and do both, or do what she wants (unless you're dead set on popcorn).

• Monique
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think popcorn is a nice late night meal because you provide your guests with a lot of food during the evening!
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmmm i see your point and it's natural to feel like you are taking advantage of your parents generosity even though you are not. I would do both, popcorn for those who just want to snack but maybe a sandwich station or that for those who have worked up an appetite. Also keep in mind if you are having a cocktail hour some ppl will fill up on that and not eat all their main course.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the others! I LOVE the popcorn idea! After a nice fancy dinner to snack on so.e late night popcorn sounds amazing to me! Haha!!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly love popcorn so that sounds fantastic to me! It would be a super casual snack too.

For our wedding we went with what the caterer offered and did a mixture of poutine bar, nacho bar and soft pretzel bar. Our dessert was handed out at 8pm and our late night snacks were put out at 11pm and everyone was SO hungry by then, even after such a large meal a few hours earlier so I wouldn't worry about that part.

If you are worried about the cost you could always either split the bill or offer the popcorn and then have your parents pick something they want to serve if they are comfortable paying for it?

I'm sure there is plenty of room for compromise, just have to sit down and talk to them about it. Any food offered once everyone is drunk is a good choice though lol

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmmm. I think the popcorn is a really cute idea, but I agree that its maybe placed better as a favor then the midnight snack/lunch. However if you feel like that dinner and such will be enough then go for it! I just know in my experience attending weddings, even after the giant dinner, by the time the snack comes out I am all over it since I've been drinking and dancing up a storm!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really comes down to what you and your FH want! Our venue offers McDonalds cheeseburgers, and FH LOVES them lol. So that is one of our options, and we got some bad feedback from my in laws because certain people won't eat that.

But we are not changing what we want because of 2 people out of 150. There are always going to be comments from people, but I agree that the popcorn is a good choice. After a huge meal, I couldn't imagine eating hot dogs or pierogies lol. Popcorn is nice and light!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've also chosen to do popcorn as a late night snack. I really feel like it will be enough. As you've said, a multiple course meal will fill your guests up. At a number of weddings that i have been to I have noticed that there was only a dent made in the midnight snack and most of the food wasn't eaten.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like popcorn would be more than enough! We are already having cocktail hour appetizers, 3 course dinner, cake and cupcakes, as well as a chocolate fountain and fruits. We're contemplating doing a poutine bar too, but that'll be lots of food!!!

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, I think popcorn is more than enough. My sister had a cocktail hour, and then a 4 course meal for dinner. Dinner didn’t officially end until about 8pm. And then at midnight she had a poutine bar and all kinds of other stuff. Honestly everyone was still SO stuffed from all the food earlier that most of the midnight snack food went to waste. It was just way too much food.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Becky here!
    I've been to a number of weddings where dinner was plentiful and great, but I still ate 2 slices of pizza at 10pm to soak up the alcohol (and McDonald's at 1am after being dropped off by the shuttle).
    I disagree with your mom that popcorn is cheap and messy - it's a crowd pleaser! The late night snack doesn't have to be fancy or over the top either. You could still offer the popcorn as an all-night snack, but have something with more sustenance come out later, like sandwiches! I'm sure you and your mom can find something you both agree on!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What are you having for your supper? I know at some weddings I have been at the meals were good but you get hungry later at night. I don't think popcorn would be enough for those people who really need to soak the alcohol in. Even if you just did a sandwich bar it would be around the same price. I do like the popcorn idea but more as a favor. I have been at weddings were 6 course meal but weren't very filling, then other were a buffet and good/filling. It all depends with people drinking you want something that will absorb some of that

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My thoughts are the same as yourself - popcorn is for sure enough! I know that you build up an appetite but for that price tag I would stick to popcorn. The only way that I would have the catering provide a late night snack like how your Mom is wanting - is if she pays. I know it's not fun having others pay for it because it's your wedding and they are already doing so much, but if they are offering it then I would say let her know you really would like the popcorn bar more but if she insists then you'll let her. (Of course, this is only if you want that. By no means are you being forced to go with that if what you envision for your day is a popcorn bar and only that.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics