Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
Ontario

Laptop dj

Ashley, on August 18, 2022 at 13:29 Posted in Wedding reception 2 6
Wondering what the experiences are for using a laptop with speakers and spotify playlist vs hiring a DJ

Did not having a DJ take away anything from the experience? Did the guest still dance and enjoy themselves. Or did you regret not hiring a DJ?
TIA

6 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on August 19, 2022 at 10:03
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It honestly depends on your crowd. A Spotify playlist can't read the room so if people aren't feeling your playlist, it's hard to pivot. Also, whenever you go dancing (like at a club), how often do you hear the full song play out. Professional DJs work to mix songs into smooth transitions so they don't overstay their welcome. With a Spotify playlist, you can't do that. But if your guests aren't really the dancing type and you just need some background noise to mingle, a playlist is fine.

One thing people tend to overlook is musical tastes for the guests. Yeah, it's your wedding and you want music that you like but if the majority of the guests would prefer to dance to something else, do you really want to put a damper on that just so you can play songs you like vs what they like?

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is a personal preference, but we are opting for Spotify playlist vs a DJ. Our biggest reason was we didn't really have the space for one (well we did but would have took away from the dance floor) Personally, I have been to 3 weddings now that were just playlist wedding and the most fun Ive had at a wedding, which is why we went this way. And for use, because we had 3 friends with playlists, this has made it so much easier to build ours.

This is not to say a wedding with a DJ is not fun, we all still danced both ways, and a DJ can defineitly provide some ease in planning, as they do all the musical work for you.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a DJ and I'm so glad we did. We had him for ceremony and reception. We didnt have to do a thing! He knew exactly when to put our music on for the ceremony for each person walking down the aisle. We had ceremony reception for an hour outside and he played music for our guests and then headed inside when it was time for cocktail hour in our ballroom. Then for our reception he played music during dinner and all night long until the very end. It was definitely worth the money in our eyes. But not everyone is comfortable spending alot of money on a dj. Do what you and your fiance feel comfortable with!
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We actually hired a live band as music was really important to me BUT I've heard of a lot of people doing playlists and I think it could work. My best friend's wedding is in Sept. and she is doing a playlist so I can let ya know how that goes!

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a Spotify playlist instead of a DJ. It worked out great! We did have one family member who helped pushed play/stop for the ceremony music, and that was it. I'm so glad we did that instead of paying for a DJ.

However I spent many many hour making these Spotify playlists as I wanted them to be perfect, so keep that in mind.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend had a DJ and honestly I am not sure why she paid him so much money? The song selection was mediocre, there was never anyone on the dance floor except me and a few of my friends. He didn't say much as they had an MC who did all the talking.

seeing that I decided to have a play list of the songs I like and the song requests I allowed my guest to add on my wedding website. I have my MC who will let guest know what is going on. the money I saved on a DJ will go towards a photo booth.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics