Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jacquie
Beginner October 2023 New Brunswick

Kid friendly? Or not kid friendly?

Jacquie, on September 29, 2022 at 14:34 Posted in Wedding reception 0 12
Hi all!

So we’re getting married next year, on a Monday. It’s a very unpopular decision on my man’s side of the family. (I also don’t care) it’s mostly unpopular because it’s a school night. Most of my man’s cousins (and sister) have children in elementary school. So my question is should I just invite the children to just the ceremony? Or ceremony and reception? It’s really the parents call, but for food wise/seating wise, it’s an important decision.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on October 10, 2022 at 08:28
  • R
    Curious July 2023 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are very fortunate to come from large families I couldn't imagine getting married without having my nieces, nephews and cousins present. Children bring such joy to weddings.

• Maddie
    Beginner October 2024 Ontario
    Maddie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Child-free weddings are so popular now that you shouldn't feel obligated to invite children if they don't align with your vision for your wedding! A compromise that we are discussing is offering our friends/family with children a babysitter who is willing to take a group for the duration of the wedding if they can't find a sitter of their own. This way they can come and enjoy a night out and we can have the wedding we imagine without feeling pressured by people with children (especially those out of town).

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm having a kids free wedding, mind you two of the groomsman have kids so we are allowing them to bring them, but at the same time they said it would be a night off from the kids for the parents to have a fun relaxing night. My friend had kids at her wedding and she had a separate area for them and the parents. It's your wedding it's what you would prefer. You may not get the answer you are looking for since you will get some who say no kids and some that say yes.

• Jacquie
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love this! Thank you 😊
  • Keegan
    Newbie July 2024 Ontario
    Keegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No kids at all for us! let the parents let loose and have some fun 🤩
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as you're able to meet your minimums with all the parents declining the kids' invite, then by all means invite the kids. Let the parents decide if they want to attend.

But if you need the kids to meet your minimums, you'll either need to give them an earlier RSVP date so you can invite your B-list, or just not have kids and fill all your invites with adults only.

What time is your ceremony planned for? The reason it's unpopular is not only is it a school/work night so they may have to leave early but depending on the timing of your event, people may also need to take time off school/work to attend.

• Nadine
    Newbie August 2022 Quebec
    Nadine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would not include kids at the reception. Ceremony and cocktail if you like then send them home 😁
  • Jenelle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The way I look at it, if you and your fiancé don’t have a strong preference either way about having kids there, then I would leave it up to the parents’ to decide whether or not to bring their little ones out on a Monday night. I know some parents who wouldn’t be upset about the kids having one late bedtime on a school night if it meant going out for a special occasion. Then I know others who would probably opt out and/or rather get a sitter to watch the kids while mom and dad have a date night (and still others that might blame not coming out on the kids having school the next day when really tired mom and dad would just rather stay home on the couch in their jammies than go out on a weeknight or any other night lol). If you want to invite parents and kids, invite parents and kids and each family can make the call that’s best for them! But if you would rather have a kid free event then don’t feel bad saying no kids please and let the parents find a sitter. My mom and dad went out curling every single Wednesday night (aka a school night) for as long as I can remember with their friends and went out for beers afterwards and we had a sitter and we somehow turned out okay, so I’m sure your wedding attendees kids will too! You do you girl, and if anyone has a problem with it then just ignore them, and consider yourself lucky that they won’t be there - you will never please everyone and someone will always have a better opinion on what you *should* do, so just do what will make you and your future spouse happy!
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do you think it will be tough to get numbers if you invite kids? otherwise I would say invite them! But hopefully your guests can get back to you right away on #s.

• Jacquie
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don’t mind kids coming either way as long as everyone is having a good time lol
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree, depending on the time of the wedding having kids there could be really fun, on the other hand being a Monday evening babysitters shouldn't be hard to book as compared to a Saturday

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had our wedding on a Sunday and we invited our friends kids. I think everyone has a different perspective about kids at a wedding. Do what you and your fiance want to do. Don't listen to outside noise. It's not their wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics