Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cassandra
Devoted September 2017 Ontario

Just a dj or dj & mc?

Cassandra, on December 20, 2016 at 12:56 Posted in Wedding reception 0 28

Hello lovelies Smiley heart

Did you book just a DJ or both a DJ and MC? Approx how much did you spend on this?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Sandra, on January 24, 2017 at 10:39
  • Sandra
    Newbie July 2017 British Columbia
    Sandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    DJ and we are having our friend MC Smiley smile
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having a DJ and he will be MCing at the same time. I have a very rustic venue and having a whole production team wouldn't really suit the venue. It's also cheaper for us which is great
  • Synthyche
    Frequent user October 2017 Manitoba
    Synthyche ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not yet. But we plan on getting just a Dj. We do have an MC but it's 2 different people
  • Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I booked a DJ who will also be the MC.

The company I went with also owns all the sound/lighting equipment inside the hall, so for DJ/MC services + use of all lighting + ceremony I paid them about $2400? (I think DJ service alone would of been about $1500)

Otherwise, I would of been on the same boat as you, I would have to pay a hook-up fee + rental for their lighting etc etc if I went with external.

Having a good DJ/MC was one of my top priorities. I don't know if other companies provide this option, but once we get paired with a DJ from their company, we're allowed to see them work (aka crash another client's wedding Smiley tongue to see the DJ live). The sound very confiendent in their services.

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks Cassandra. It's definitely reasonable since we are using the same DJ for our wedding social.
  • Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Kelly:

No DJ yet. I am a little stressed out but it will be okay. I like the idea of a DJ MC. We have an MC friend. But for the music part we want the DJ to make it fun by inviting people, talking to them when needed. We want people to have fun so sometimes u have to make them participate.

I am from Cote d'Ivoire so idealy we are looking for DJ who would be okay playing songs from Africa or my country...tough one! but we are looking.

Don't be stressed! I am sure you will find someone Smiley smile Maybe do a search for African DJ's?

• Kelly
    Beginner July 2017 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No DJ yet. I am a little stressed out but it will be okay. I like the idea of a DJ MC. We have an MC friend. But for the music part we want the DJ to make it fun by inviting people, talking to them when needed. We want people to have fun so sometimes u have to make them participate.

I am from Cote d'Ivoire so idealy we are looking for DJ who would be okay playing songs from Africa or my country...tough one! but we are looking.

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! Good luck in your search. Hope you can find a good deal Smiley smile

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    DJ's where we are getting married cost about 750, so we were not going to have a DJ originally but a friend volunteered to pay for a guy who has a mix board... And I have a friend who will make an excellent MC (have to ask still)... I was not happy with my friends buddy's response time to questions and no longer want to deal with a playlist... So we added DJ to the budget and now I'm shopping around... I want to cover all bases so am shopping for a DJ who also MC's just in case.
  • Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Chelsea:

Cited message

Written by Cassandra:

Written by Chelsea:

Cited message

Written by Cassandra:

Written by Chelsea:

We booked a dj and an mc. We were going to ask someone in our family or one of our friends to be an mc, however we didn't realize all the duties an mc really has and my friends didn't have a professional and the flow of the wedding was just off! For both it was approx 00. We went back and forth about it but we decided to splurge on the dj and mc!

Nice! Ya I think ours is going to cost just over 00 too. The hall has a preferred DJ that has all the lights and sound set up. My fiance has a few DJ friends who wouldnt charge us much but we would still need to pay the halls djs to use the lights and there hooked up sound plus a plug in fee ugh!

I think if you are going to have to pay those extra fees anyways that I would go with the recommended DJ! We asked if we could get some sort of discount for using a whole bunch of different lights and 2 of their services (dj and mc) and the guy actually gave us a discount! Maybe it would be worth asking if you can also get some sort of discount for booking an mc with them! The worst that can happen is they say no!

I will be asking for sure Smiley smile

Good luck! Hope it all works out Smiley smile

Thanks Chelsea !

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good luck! Hope it all works out Smiley smile
  • Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Chelsea:

Cited message

Written by Cassandra:

Written by Chelsea:

We booked a dj and an mc. We were going to ask someone in our family or one of our friends to be an mc, however we didn't realize all the duties an mc really has and my friends didn't have a professional and the flow of the wedding was just off! For both it was approx 00. We went back and forth about it but we decided to splurge on the dj and mc!

Nice! Ya I think ours is going to cost just over 00 too. The hall has a preferred DJ that has all the lights and sound set up. My fiance has a few DJ friends who wouldnt charge us much but we would still need to pay the halls djs to use the lights and there hooked up sound plus a plug in fee ugh!

I think if you are going to have to pay those extra fees anyways that I would go with the recommended DJ! We asked if we could get some sort of discount for using a whole bunch of different lights and 2 of their services (dj and mc) and the guy actually gave us a discount! Maybe it would be worth asking if you can also get some sort of discount for booking an mc with them! The worst that can happen is they say no!

I will be asking for sure Smiley smile

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Samtam:

Cited message

Written by Melissa:

Cited message

Written by Cassandra:

Written by Melissa:

We have a DJ, who will also make annoucements for us- we don't need a separate MC really, the majority of the regualr MC dutites have been cut from our wedding. We are paying about 1000$ for our DJ.

Nice! Will the DJ play games with your guests and stuff?

No, we don't really want that stuff (not our style) He is just going to keep the order of events going (announce our entrance, cake cutting, first dance) and then get the party going.

Same. I didn't really know that a DJ and MC were separate (in the US, the DJ always MCs) and we didn't have anyone to be an MC and there wasn't that much to MC so we asked our DJ company to pair us up with a DJ who was comfortable making a few annoucements. We did speeches, the "shoe game," our first dances, cake cutting and bouquet toss.

Tip: Make sure whoever you have knows how to properly pronounce everyone's names, including your last names. We had to work with all of our vendors over Skype instead of meeting in person so we made sure that they all knew how to pronounce everything correctly so there were no mishaps!

My mom paid for our music as our wedding present so I'm not sure how much it was.

Thats good advice! Thanks Smiley smile

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Lindsey:

I think we are just going to do a super spotify Playlist and ask a few close friends to keep an eye on it! And for MC we are going to ask a very outgoing friend who has done it before!

Nice - that works too Smiley smile

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Simone:

I believe everything was included except the lights which I plan to get. It's cost about $840.00 with taxes.

Wow, great price!

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I believe everything was included except the lights which I plan to get. It's cost about $840.00 with taxes.
  • L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we are just going to do a super spotify Playlist and ask a few close friends to keep an eye on it! And for MC we are going to ask a very outgoing friend who has done it before!
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Same. I didn't really know that a DJ and MC were separate (in the US, the DJ always MCs) and we didn't have anyone to be an MC and there wasn't that much to MC so we asked our DJ company to pair us up with a DJ who was comfortable making a few annoucements. We did speeches, the "shoe game," our first dances, cake cutting and bouquet toss.

Tip: Make sure whoever you have knows how to properly pronounce everyone's names, including your last names. We had to work with all of our vendors over Skype instead of meeting in person so we made sure that they all knew how to pronounce everything correctly so there were no mishaps!

My mom paid for our music as our wedding present so I'm not sure how much it was.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, we don't really want that stuff (not our style) He is just going to keep the order of events going (announce our entrance, cake cutting, first dance) and then get the party going.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've just booked our DJ and are planning on asking a friend or family member to do the MC duties. Our DJ will do as much or as little "chatter" as we want, our cost for the DJ is just over 1100.

• Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Same as Melissa, we have a DJ who will do MCish duties. Our DJ was $750 (because our date is considered "winter")

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Natasha:

We have a Dj and we have asked 2 of our close friends to be our MC's and they said yes ! I think it is awesome when your family or friends can be the MC's because they make your night more personal !

That sounds awesome!

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Melissa:

We have a DJ, who will also make annoucements for us- we don't need a separate MC really, the majority of the regualr MC dutites have been cut from our wedding. We are paying about 1000$ for our DJ.

Nice! Will the DJ play games with your guests and stuff?

• Cassandra
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Chelsea:

We booked a dj and an mc. We were going to ask someone in our family or one of our friends to be an mc, however we didn't realize all the duties an mc really has and my friends didn't have a professional and the flow of the wedding was just off! For both it was approx $2000. We went back and forth about it but we decided to splurge on the dj and mc!

Nice! Ya I think ours is going to cost just over $2000 too. The hall has a preferred DJ that has all the lights and sound set up. My fiance has a few DJ friends who wouldnt charge us much but we would still need to pay the halls djs to use the lights and there hooked up sound plus a plug in fee ugh!

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a Dj and we have asked 2 of our close friends to be our MC's and they said yes ! I think it is awesome when your family or friends can be the MC's because they make your night more personal !

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

• Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked a dj and an mc. We were going to ask someone in our family or one of our friends to be an mc, however we didn't realize all the duties an mc really has and my friends didn't have a professional and the flow of the wedding was just off! For both it was approx $2000. We went back and forth about it but we decided to splurge on the dj and mc!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics