Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jory
Newbie June 2022 British Columbia

July/august weddings in British Columbia

Jory, on January 29, 2021 at 16:48 Posted in British Columbia 1 8

Hello wedding community!

This message is for COVID-19 brides in British Columbia getting married this summer or fall.

What are your predictions for July and August weddings? Last summer was 50 guests in BC. Do you think that will change for this summer? What if the vaccine roll-out has begun, but is not complete?

What have your venues said? Do you think there is any hope for more than 50, and if so, why?

Looking forward to hearing more.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Sheena, on April 15, 2021 at 06:50
  • Sheena
    Newbie July 2022 British Columbia
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding date was set for July 3 2021 and as soon as I heard that weddings will still have to be kept small, my fiancé and I decided to postpone until July 2 2022. We don’t want to have to cut our guest list at all. We want everyone there for our special day. It’s what I’ve been dreaming about for most of my life to have all my closest friends and family at my wedding. It’s not a matter of IF we’ll be able to have our wedding we want it’s a matter of WHEN we can have our wedding that we want. If we have to wait another year that’s ok. That just means we’ll have more time to save and plan an even better wedding then we originally had planned. With summer getting closer now and the case numbers the way they are right now weddings will definitely have to be kept small or postponed again this summer. It’s all up to each couple what they want to do. Have a small wedding or wait until restrictions are lifted so they can have a big wedding again.
  • Courtney
    Newbie June 2021 British Columbia
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Family doc here (I also work on our hospital's COVID ward). We're getting married in Salmon Arm June 26, and I have contingency plans for the original 100, 75, 50, 25, and 10, and quite honestly trying to speculate what June/July/August looks like at this stage is an absolute guess, especially from those outside of healthcare or politics, not trying to poo poo anyone, but it's true. We decided we are going ahead either way (my fiancé's ring has our date engraved on it haha), and whoever we can have there is out of our control. That doesn't make any of this easier, but essentially at this stage, decide if you want to get married or if you want the big party, and stick with that decision. A reception of a ton of people isn't going to be a reality, for sure, I'd hope for 50, and plan for less. Best of luck everyone Smiley smile

• Victoria
    Newbie July 2022 British Columbia
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Jory
    My wedding was planned for August 1st 2021 in Vancouver. I just made the decision with my fiancé to postpone. Currently my venue isn't opened until May 1st due to COVID and that alone scared me because that could easily be extended. Also since the venue is closed we can't even go do a menu tasting!
  • Clare
    Newbie July 2021 British Columbia
    Clare ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Let me just grab my crystal ball... Smiley xd Smiley ups

I honestly think this is the biggest unknown for anyone planning a wedding right now. We're postponing our reception but are still having our ceremony and at this point are waiting to find out if we can only have our parents at the ceremony or if we can have siblings and wedding party present in addition.

Our ceremony is July 3, 2021

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The guest count may be the same hopefully with the restrictions lifted. Its a hard call to make with the unknown happening. I do hope you get the number you have set to proceed.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries! They address it right at the end. Here is the link: https://globalnews.ca/video/7607084/global-bc-covid-19-town-hall-jan-28

It would be nice if they would just give a prospective max number to all of the people trying to plan things for this summer but I think there's just so much uncertainty around what it's going to look like here particularly with the threat of the new variants.

• Jory
    Newbie June 2022 British Columbia
    Jory ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Christina, thank you so much for your reply! Can you link the meeting you refer to? This would be very helpful.

Wishing the best to all COVID brides, but most importantly, safety to the nation and world at large.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just posted a similar comment in another thread but last night Dr. Henry and Minister Dix held a town hall and they addressed summer weddings. Long story short they said to "think small" and essentially said to cancel or postpone any weddings that would involve people travelling from out of country.

After seeing how cases blew up at the end of last summer and the fall and considering our current case count and how slow it is going down, I would be very surprised if they allowed 50 person weddings again before we reach herd immunity (so most likely fall at the earliest). I think in hindsight it's obvious that weddings and other events pushing the gathering limit of 50 were not a good idea and many of them were not done safely. Based on that I can't see them increasing back to 50 and definitely not above 50.

However I do think if cases can get under control they may allow very small receptions again and may increase the guest limit for ceremonies slightly. If I had to guess I'd say 25 people might be our new maximum. But obviously I'm just guessing. Who knows what will happen.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics