Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Newbie July 2021 Ontario

July 2020 brides- postpone or carry on?!

Sarah, on March 31, 2020 at 20:13 Posted in WeddingWire 0 19

Hi everyone!

I am seeing lots of discussion about weddings being postponed in April/May, but am curious what the general consensus is for July brides. Our special day is scheduled for July 11, and my fiancé and I made a decision to wait until the end of May to make a final decision. Our reception venue holds a maximum of 90 guests, so it was never going to be an extremely large gathering. There are only 4 people over 35 years old invited (our parents- no aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc). My fiancé is from France, and his 4 siblings + SO's and parents have already purchased their flights.

On one hand, I feel that 3.5 months is a very long time, and I cannot foresee society functioning in this "lockdown" way for that long. On another hand, there is no way to really know. We are getting married at a popular location (Distillery District in Toronto), and there are no Saturday evenings available until December. We have been together for 6 years and were hoping to start a family as soon as we can after the wedding, hence not wanting to wait any longer.

We are sticking to our decision for now... what is your plan?

Sending everyone love and positive vibes!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on April 16, 2020 at 15:49
  • Sarah
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Niyousha,

Distillery Events did not offer us a refund on the deposit either, which I understand in our case because we are still 3 months out. We are looking at choosing a back-up date at our venue there. We booked for the whole day, not just the evening, so our deposit was $5000+, which is too much to cancel! They offered us December 9 or 26 for Saturdays, or 2021. Trying to coordinate with all of the vendors that we paid a deposit to has been really challenging, as well as choosing a date that we are satisfied with... really sucks.

• Ally
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Ally ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were June 27 (so basically July) and we have decided to postpone until spring 2021. One of my bridesmaids is supposed to be getting married August 2 and she is trying to postpone as soon as her venue will allow it. Same bridesmaid is in another wedding middle of July and they have postponed to 2021 as well. We were hopeful for a while but once we knew this wasn’t going to go away over night we knew it was the right thing to do. While I don’t think we’ll be locked down in June the way we are now, things won’t even be close to normal by then. Since we’ve made the decision and solidified our back up plan I feel so much better.
  • Niyousha
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Niyousha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are in a very similar situation as you Sarah. We got married last year at the city hall and this year we were supposed to have a reception on May 23, 2020 at the distillery district in Toronto. we are on the same page in a sense that we want to start our family and don't want to wait any longer due to our age and the fact that we are already married. The only problem though, is that the district is pretty ruthless and is not refunding our money even though they most likely can't even hold our event on the given date. Just a heads up that if you are not thinking of rescheduling, like us, then you may want to prepare yourself for a dispute.

• Tracey
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Tracey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We pulled the plug. We've postponed from July 4th until September 5, 2020. Now I just have to pray that things are better by then. To say tears were shed is an understatement. This COVID thing is horrible. I hope it ends soon.

• K
    Beginner July 2020 British Columbia
    Krystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    July 25th in BC. We have postponed till 2021.
    Things won’t be better by then, we aren’t seeing improvement at all at this point. We aren’t going to just wake up one morning and everything be lifted and be able to have a wedding like nothing is going on. I recommend postponing now, because getting a date that will work with all your vendors is near impossible, and will only get more difficult as the time goes on! People have lost jobs and don’t have money to attend. People are sick and people are dying. I would feel terrible if someone got sick from attending our wedding.
    I have cried for a few days, as we have been together for 11 years and been planning for 2.5 years. We had plans to have a baby, buy a house etc. But obviously not happening at this point. Right now everyone just needs to stay healthy and happy.
  • K
    Newbie July 2020 British Columbia
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

July 18th, wedding supposed to be in BC. I don't have anyone travelling from the states but a few from other provinces. I am trying to be hopeful however it is hard when you have people asking every day what you are going to do. We are going to try and wait until May to decide. I also work the front lines in health care with a good majority of my bridal party also working in health care which is making my guests scared to even come with us being potentially "contaminated". Sigh...

• Tracey
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Tracey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm July 4th and I'm stuck. I don't know what to do. I have my dress but my Alt's appointment was the beginning of April which we know didn't happen. I still have a couple of "things" i need before I can have alts done. Half the boys don't yet have suits (appointment was made but the store closed), we don't have the rings (again had an appointment and it was cancelled), We have guests from all over Canada and into the states. My hall wont even give us alternate dates until the end of the month. In fact their response to my asking what plan b would be was to ask me for our second (largest) installment. I'm trying to stay strong but it's hard. The not knowing is the worst.

• J
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    July 11 in Ontario as well! We postponed. We aren’t thinking that the restrictions on gatherings will increase from 5 to 175 anytime soon, with officials predicting this will continue for many months. Also my MOH lives in the states and cross border travel also doesn’t look to be opening anytime soon.
  • Lindsey
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Lindsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are July 25 in Ontario. We are only have about 85 people coming and the farthest ones we have coming are my cousins in Alberta. I talked with the venue last week and they have been in contact with the health unit and say not to make any decisions until May so we are hoping for the best! But I admit some days are hard to be optimistic

• Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    July 2nd. We agreed we want to get married regardless but we wont really know what that will look like exactly for a month or two. Thankfully we are having a very small/low key wedding with just under 30 people including photographer, officiant, etc but with the rules currently in place (and local parks/conservation areas closed) that might mean it ends up being in our yard with kidt our parents and my fiances children to witness it.

It's not looking very promising for our honeymoon currently either Smiley sad. We are suppose to cruise out of Vancouver July 5th and ships are currently barred from docking there till July 1st. Even if things are cleared by then we arent sure how comfortable we feel about getting on a ship so close to a pandemic being (potentially) "over" Trying to remain positive and tell myself that nudt means we can cruise next year for our anniversary and do something locally instead but it still stinks Smiley sad
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right now it’s 5 people only.

We’ve invited 325.
    We are pretty confident all rules will be lifted by our wedding.
  • Lora
    Lora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What are the rules for gatherings? How many guests for your wedding?
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re July 18 in Ontario and we’re optimistic!

Planning is going on as planned, the only thing we’ve had to postpone is my bridal shower from May 3 to June 13
  • Lora
    Lora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am July 18 in B.C. I am planning a 150 -170 person wedding but haven’t sent invites as I was preparing them right before. I have been using the WithJoy app and just included immediate family and bridal party right now. Might do a bigger reception for our wedding next summer.... We will have to see what end of April and May look like. If we are starting to flatten the curve. Where are you from?

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its hard to say cuz now they have said no gatherings of more than 5 people!!! but i def would wait till next month and then decide

• Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Following this discussion! I'm getting married July 25. They're prepared for the social distancing measures to not be relaxed until July. But of course it all depends on how well it works in the meantime. I just got engaged March 8 right before this whole COVID thing blew up. We just really are ready to get married and have a home and start our lives together. It's so frustrating not having the same, fun experience of engagement that most brides get! But I've ordered my dress, our rings are waiting for us (whenever the store reopens to let us get them), our venue is just my church so we will go ahead with our wedding... even if we have to have a reception later so everyone we want can be there. I just really hope this thing goes away! The every day of waking up to new unknowns is getting to me!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its great to hear your sticking to your date still until something comes up to the end of May. Your in laws flying out from France should call to find out about the flights from their travel agency if you plan to change your date and so can they if anything was to happen given the situation. for those brides that are in the same situation, I hope for the same to see your guests and in laws to be at your wedding and not losing out on their travel plans.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're July 18 here and we're carrying on until someone tells us that we can't. We just postponed my bridal shower today and hopefully that's the only change we'll need to make.

I hope the warm weather makes COVID go away and we can all enjoy our summer weddings.

Sending big hugs to all the summer brides! Hang in there! We'll get through this.

• Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Almost twins! We’re July 10. But our official wedding celebrations begin on the 2nd. As of right now, we’re also sticking to our plans. I too feel like a 3 month lockdown or whatever is unsustainable for the economy and the people. They’re already getting tired of isolating I can’t imagine having to keep it going for another 3 months. Maybe that’s just me wishful thinking so I don’t have to change plans lol. We’ve already put down the deposit on our lease for a new home. We definitely won’t postpone till next summer since we want to start a family too!! Everything is just so frustrating but hopefully we’ll get to have things the way we planned!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics