Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carleigh
Curious October 2017 Ontario

Italy

Carleigh, on March 9, 2017 at 19:30 Posted in Honeymoon 0 5

So we're thinking of heading to Italy for our honeymoon which wouldn't be until 2018 but few things..

1.how far in advance do we need to book?

2. whens the best time to go?

3. any major suggestions on where we should visit (cities)?

4. what is your experience with costs etc.

5. any suggestion for length of trip?

any any other tips you could help out with would be great!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Carleigh, on March 16, 2017 at 11:33
  • Carleigh
    Curious October 2017 Ontario
    Carleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help, this looks great!

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All great advice already. In regards to which cities to visit and time of year, this also depends on what you like to do ... If you like going to the beach and want to do this in Italy, then summer months (June-July) would be better (and definitely add Cinque Terre as a stop), but if you like to wander, see architecture, museums, dine out, etc., then the fall is a great time to go (September-October) as you still have really nice weather and there are less tourists, which usually also means better prices on flights and hotels. And regardless of when you decide to go, definitely look up if there are any festivals/conferences/other events in the cities you plan on being, as hotel availability will be lower and prices higher if there are lots of people going for a specific event.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For any trip booking in advance allows you to be more flexible and there's a better chance at deals for airfare and hotels. If you want to save money you can do all the booking yourself or as Simone said you can speak to a travel agency.

Best time to go really depends on you. High tourist season means more people and generally higher prices. Low tourist season means less people and generally cheaper prices. I would suggest not going in the month of August though as that is Ferr'agosto in Italy. Basically "August Holiday" meaning a lot of people take that time as their own vacation so a lot of things are closed and some cities turn into ghost towns.

Rome, Milan, Venice, Florence, Naples, San Gimignano (beautiful medieval towered city), Verona, Padua, Pisa are all great places to visit. I have found in the past that it really helps to go to a Chapter's or something to check out the travel guides for the places you want to go. You don't necessarily need to purchase a travel guide but just browsing them should give a good idea of things to do and see and then you can decide where you want to go and set up your trip that way. If you are planning to go to multiple places, and not renting a car, I have found the train a great way to travel. I found this site particuarly helpful when I planned my trip in Italy several years ago Rail Europe https://www.raileurope.ca/index.html.

Cost can vary. Lots of things in the major cities are geared to getting tourists to spend money (like photo ops with gladiators outside the Colisseum). Do your research but also don't be afraid to walk around and get lost to see things. Lots of beautiful things and historical sites, mostly archeological, are free and spring up where you least expect them. You can find rooms at hotels or hostels for decent prices if you do your research. I would say always have a budget in mind whenever you go on a trip but maybe especially your honeymoon as in our romantic haze we may want to purchase every little thing Smiley smile

I personally think that for travel the length of stay is the longer the better. I know that for most people that is not a possiblity because we have jobs, pets, families etc. If you can manage it with the time off and your budget I would say 2-3 weeks would be a great start.

As for other tips...I would say learn a bit about the culture so that you won't necessarily "act like a tourist".

Coffee in Italy is always cheaper if you drink it a the bar standing. They don't really do stuff à la Starbucks over there.

There are signs everywhere for pickpockets though I have never had that happen to me. You can get yourself a money belt that hides under your clothes but I think it looks a little more suspicious than a woman carrying a purse in the first place. As long as you are aware of your stuff and surroundings you should be fine.

Bring some nicer clothes; Italians like to dress up and if you just wear your outdoor shorts and tees, you'll stick out.

I would suggest travelling with a small backpack for things like a water bottle and souvenirs. You can also have your guidebooks in there if you like as many of them often have maps so you can read those over lunch or something.

If I think of anything else I'll post again. Good luck Carleigh!

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Carleigh, welcome to the community! The duration really depends on your budget and how long you can take some time of work Smiley xd I see that your wedding is in October and Italy is actually a great destination in the Fall! You can take a look at these discussions for more ideas: Where is your dream honeymoon destination?

European honeymoon!

Fall honeymoon destinations

The food in Italy is amazing! There are many places you could go to! What activities would you love to do there? Smiley smile

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Carleigh, I would say that a honeymoon in Italy is beautiful. I would recommend speaking to a travel agency to check on available dates, costs and sales. For cities, Rome, Milan and Naples are great places to see or even the smaller cities like Genoa or Venato as per my FH. I would recommend going to Italy as long as you can stay based on your budget will for length of stay. I have never traveled there but would to as my FH is Italian and went there when he was smaller. Hope this helps.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics