Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melanie
Curious August 2022 Alberta

Is it too early?

Melanie, on May 13, 2021 at 23:44 Posted in Before the wedding 0 17
I am getting married next summer, and was wanting to do my bridesmaid/moh proposals in the next couple of days. Is it too early? I know it’s still a little over a year away, but I’m certain the girls I have chosen are the ones I want in my bridal party.

17 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 30, 2021 at 19:16
  • Amanda
    Curious September 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I waited about 3 months after the proposal to ask, but I was putting little baskets together for them and with the restrictions on shopping here in ontario I couldn’t buy what I wanted in person. So it took a bit longer to get everything.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Never too early to ask your wedding party. We did have only one MOH and BM each side and that too from closest friends we chose as our co workers and his boss. This was a few months later though one had to decline after since I knew she was moving to Newfoundland and she did give me a heads up.
  • Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to my MOH's house the night we got engaged lol. She showed up at my work the night she got engaged so I asked SO about doing the same and he said sure. Went to his BM's house a few days later.

Still trying to decide if I'm having just her.

• Dharsy
    Newbie September 2022 Ontario
    Dharsy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I "proposed" essentially the week I got engaged! They all knew/suspected haha 😄 and never feel like anything is too early! There's more time to enjoy with them!
  • Abigail
    Curious May 2022 British Columbia
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not too early at all!!! I asked my MOHs (I have two!) about a month or so after we got engaged, which was last May and we're not getting married until next May.

• Futuremrsbain
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Futuremrsbain ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No harm asking early! We asked our wedding party last may and are getting married this July.
  • Victoria
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think asking early is also a great idea since some people may be asked to be in a few parties!
  • Victoria
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohh that’s amazing! Would you mind sharing some of the questions she’s asked that you found helpful/insightful?
  • Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not too early. I'm next summer as well and did mine about a month ago. I want them involved in the planning with me and I couldn't wait to ask them. Even when I'd asked them I already had quite a few things planned that I wished they were involved in. As long as you're solid in your choices, I don't see an issue with asking them at this time
  • Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hahaha I asked my girls a few months after I got engaged...2 years ago lol and we aren't getting married until next year. Do what feels natural to you - I for one have liked having all my girls to discuss wedding type things with, and have them involved in some aspects - one of my BM is in charge of weddings at a major hotel chain, so it has been nice having her join for site visits/discussions, as she knows about things to ask that my fiance and I wouldn't.

• Brittany
    Devoted December 2022 Yucatán
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is not too early, especially if you have known forever who is going to be in your bridal party. My wedding is two years away and I already asked one (my sister) and I am asking the other this weekend!

• C
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in October next year and we did our wedding party proposals months ago! We're having almost all family (7 siblings/cousins, 1 close friend), so there's not a whole lot of guess work in whether or not they'll be present and involved haha. I'd say it really depends on who you're picking (i.e. a sister versus a co-worker/college friend). Just do what makes sense for you and your wedding!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think there's no harm in asking your bridal party early. Where I could potentially see an issue is if you expect them to be ON all the time for the full duration leading up to the wedding. Like, absolutely ask for feedback and if you need help, see what they can do but don't expect them to drop their commitments or stop their lives just for your wedding.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am only having a MOH and I asked her right away. There was no point in putting it off. I think I asked her 2 years before our date lol.
  • Jenelle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like others have mentioned, I don’t think that there is a set rule for timeline in asking your party to stand with you. My fiancé and I got engaged in January, and aren’t planning our wedding till July 2023, but I’ve still already gone ahead and asked my party. I knew from the moment we started talking about our wedding exactly who my bridesmaids were and that it wasn’t going to change so I just did it!

On the plus side, the earlier you pull them in, then you have your people to bounce ideas off of and help support you in the planning process. I finish my university program this summer, so there isn’t a ton of planning happening till I’m done, but it’s still fun to still bounce ideas off of them and brainstorm. But honestly, whenever feels right for you to do it is the perfect time to do it. Best of luck to you!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I asked my bridesmaids in Feb 2021 for a wedding in May 2022! So I think now is the perfect time if you want to ask now!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's too early at all! That way they can help you with the wedding planning in certain ways and get excited to spend your wedding day by your side!

I asked my best friend about 6 months after I got engaged to be my MOH and the wedding wasn't for another 2 years! We've now had to postpone twice but she's still as excited and she's been there by my side having to postpone two years in a row

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics