Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Frequent user June 2018 Ontario

Is it "rude" to not provide dinner?

Vanessa, on February 21, 2017 at 14:55 Posted in Wedding reception 0 21

We're doing a cocktail style ceremony and reception starting at around 7 pm. I feel like this is a late enough start time to not expect a meal - kepping in mind that the ceremony will be at 7:10 pm. It is premium open bar as well BTW.

I've read that it is best to serve in "acts". I've pretty much told everyone that we're not doing the formal dinner, I've offered dinner suggestions near the venue, and instead we're doing "food stations" (I guess that is what it is called) so no servers floating around with platters.

Act 1 - 7:45 after speeches, champagne toast, and ceremony: charcutrie/antipasto - Meats, cheeses, bread, olives, preserves, crackers, fruit, nuts etc. and I may do a mediterranean style table with warm pita, hummus, focaccia, bocconcini skewers, babaganoush, tzatsiki, bruschetta...

Act 2 - 9:00 pm: Cake cutting - we will also do a dessert table with cupcakes, whoopie pies, a candy bar, popcorn bar.

Act 3 - 10:45 pm: late night nacho bar

Is this enough? Will people be somehow offended that we're not providing "dinner" ("" because I totally eat that kind of food for dinner I LOVE charcutrie/antipasto even though it does technically translate to appetizer lol!)?

We're also not linking to a registry and we will only direct people to our amazon.ca wish list if requested. I'm also going to literally put all of the food they can expect on our wedding website. The invitation will also ensure it says post-dinner cocktail ceremony and reception.

YES I know it's over a year out. But whatever, I like to plan and budget lol!

21 Comments

Latest activity by Carolyne, on February 23, 2017 at 15:48
  • Carolyne
    Super June 2018 Quebec
    Carolyne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I mean if you have a lot of food it is totally fine
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a deal

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's 100% happening! I ask Eden's here in Hamilton about putting together a 100 person catering "take out" option - meaning I'd go pick up the food in the morning and they quoted me at $1000 YAY!!!!!

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This sounds perfect! Antipasto is my ideal meal! We are having an antipasto buffet at our wedding as well before dinner! Guests will not be offended at all with this! In my opinion it's rude not to provide food at all, knowing full well guests will bring a gift, eventhough not expected. They way you've organized it sounds lovely! You aren't just thinking about yourselves, you are thinking of your guests too! To me that's a win win!!!!! Smiley smile Looks like you have it covered! Sounds like a classy way to do it to me!!!
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think what you are offering is great as you are stil providing food. You are no rude for not providing dinner.
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that sounds perfect!! love the nacho bar !! yum yum yum

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks, Kacy, Stephanie and Lindsey! I'm glad everyone would be happy to be a party of a wedding like this haha!
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know...soooo yummy. I'm 99.9% sure the Mediterranean table is happening! I'm going to sort through caterers who I can pick up the "dips" from the morning of the wedding!
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope, it honestly sounds perfect!! Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Devoted June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing an evening wedding and cocktail reception too!! We're both close to all our guests, so it will be word of mouth as well as on the invitations.
  • L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You totally will be fine! Not rude or tacky at all.
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds awesome!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No problem! That mediterranean table sounds to die for though!!

And that sounds good for the tables!! Sounds like you are on top of it!!!Smiley smile

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a taco dinner at a restaurant nearby beforehand with our parents and bridal party, but plan to be at the venue by 6:30 to welcome people so we will have food! We're getting married at the Spice Factory in Hamilton!

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ohh good tip on the popcorn, I might scrap that.

We will have round tables of 5 with enough seating for 60 people (out of 100) and a reserved table for those who must always have a seat available!

• Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our weeding is @ 7pm as well. I am doing snacks and some sandwich and cheese platters, I already told everyone that a full meal will not be served. It's too late to be eating a full meal that late @ night. They all know to eat something before the some to the wedding. We are thinking of doing a dry reception because it cheaper and less headaches when it come to serving any kind of booze.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agree with previous responses, as long as you actrually have an solid amount of food (which is sounds like you do), then you are totally fine!!!

I would just note that you should still have seats some where for guests that would like to sit and take a break throughout the evening.

And to the popcorn bar. I LOVE popcorn (literally eat it instead of dinner some nights), but my venue had pointed out to me at my tasting that they are not a great idea at weddings because your venue floor quickly turns into the floor of a movie theatre. People spill popcorn and then people step on it, it's annoying to clean and loses the "formal feel" of the evening when you are stepping all over a popcorn covered floor. Just thought I would mention it as it is something I never thought about before they mentioned that!

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you all so far for the reassurance! Smiley heart I personally love the non-sit down food at weddings much more than the seated dinner, so we wanted to just take the best parts of our favourite weddings and mash it into our own creation lol!

Edit: we do have 2 servers hired by our venue to keep things refreshed.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you are juuust fine!

Sounds like your plan is similar to my original plan...and as long as you have food stations to keep people munching, you are great!

Including the cocktail-recpetion wording on invites and website will get your point across...and an event starting at 7pm, I would not expect dinner to be served.

You are hosting your guests properly- I would not question the timing at all!

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Vanessa! It sounds like you have it covered! If your ceremony is starting at 7 pm, then I would not expect dinner. Putting it on your invitation and wedding website like you said will also avoid confusion. I think it's important to make sure that there is a good amount of food to go with an open bar so that people can enjoy themselves and still drive home at the end of the night. (And you need fuel for a night of dancing!) I like the idea of the stations and as long as there's enough to go around, you should be good! Your food sounds delicious!

And just make sure that you and your wedding party all eat before the ceremony! You wouldn't want to accidentally lock your knees and faint! Smiley xd Have you found your venues yet?

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As long as there's food at all I think it's fine lol. I'm sure you're going to inform them it won't be like a sit down plated dinner then they know what to expect and won't come starving and grumpy! It's easy to fill up on snacks and appys anyways I think it will good.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics